Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Since there is lots of cart talk in this thread as of late, here’s one that’s been on my mind:

For those who have experience with each, which cart is the most forgiving on the top end in terms of sibilance, distortion, etc?

Ortofon 2M Blue or Bronze, Grado Gold 3, or something comparable in the AT VM series?

Since there is lots of cart talk in this thread as of late, here’s one that’s been on my mind:

For those who have experience with each, which cart is the most forgiving on the top end in terms of sibilance, distortion, etc?

Ortofon 2M Blue or Bronze, Grado Gold 3, or something comparable in the AT VM series?
The following carts all did a fine job of avoiding sibilance:
  • Grado Black with an 8MZ stylus
  • Grado Gold
  • Denon DL-110

Gold3
AT VM95ML
2m Bronze
2m Blue

While the Bronze is better technically, tonally, I just can’t dig it. But that wasn’t your question.

also personally i think part of my issue was that the 58X and 6XX are fairly warm headphones... they aren't bass cannons but they are definitely able to achieve good bass if its available, so mixing one warm headphone with a pretty warm cartridge lead to it just becoming a bit too dark

also personally i think part of my issue was that the 58X and 6XX are fairly warm headphones... they aren't bass cannons but they are definitely able to achieve good bass if its available, so mixing one warm headphone with a pretty warm cartridge lead to it just becoming a bit too dark

That's good to know as I'm shopping for a set of headphones at the minute. This is going to sound stupid but the dog has got older I'm finding that I'm listening to more music at night again. Mainly because he seems to leave me to piss off to bed at about 7 ish most nights so where I'd previously be hiding toys around the house and setting him of to look for them I'm now playing more records/ streaming more music. Would be nice to crank it up a bit without annoying my neighbours or, when doggo decides to hang out (sleep) downstairs not scare the shit out of him with Bob's harmonica. I'd looked at the 5xx as a starting point to see if I'd use them much but the whole technics/ AT move has probably moved me more towards liking a neutral sound rather than an all enveloping hug of frothy, comfy darkness.

Reactions: Tyr
That's good to know as I'm shopping for a set of headphones at the minute. This is going to sound stupid but the dog has got older I'm finding that I'm listening to more music at night again. Mainly because he seems to leave me to piss off to bed at about 7 ish most nights so where I'd previously be hiding toys around the house and setting him of to look for them I'm now playing more records/ streaming more music. Would be nice to crank it up a bit without annoying my neighbours or, when doggo decides to hang out (sleep) downstairs not scare the shit out of him with Bob's harmonica. I'd looked at the 5xx as a starting point to see if I'd use them much but the whole technics/ AT move has probably moved me more towards liking a neutral sound rather than an all enveloping hug of frothy, comfy darkness.
what kind of amplifier do you have and whats your budget

Last edited:

Enveloping hug of frothy, comfy darkness sound like a Tame Impala song title.

Don’t forget B&W. They don’t come up in conversation much but they make excellent headphones. I’ve got a pair of P7s (now discontinued). They were $399 originally, but someone here found a brand new pair on eBay recently for under $150.

Where are we buying carts from these days? The previous bargain hunter delight, thakker, doesn’t seem to be quite as delightful these days. Anyone else flying under the radar I should know about?

Depends on what you are looking for.

Galen Carol Audio in TX or Gene Rubin Audio in CA are both solid dealers and sometimes have deals.

Well, one thing you can take off your "Worry Plate" is getting kicked out the N&G front door for going digital.............you're stuck with us ;)
Exactly! You and I have pretty much the same philosophy on buying CDs. Heck there are albums I know there are good/great/spectacular pressings of, but I already have a CD copy of that I am satisfied w/ so I don't even buy it on vinyl (recent example: people are raving about MOFI Electric Warrior that just came out; I've had the MOFI SACD of it for a few good turns; I for a split second thought of grabbing the vinyl but, quite honestly, I put money into my digital set-up so I shouldn't sell it short and the SACD has never had me feel like I'm missing out an a better experience, rather I quite enjoy the experience I have when listening to it).

I unabashedly talk about digital here - and it usually isn't in the digital audio thread. No one has ever admonished me for talking about CDs or streaming. We just all enjoy music!

Exactly! You and I have pretty much the same philosophy on buying CDs. Heck there are albums I know there are good/great/spectacular pressings of, but I already have a CD copy of that I am satisfied w/ so I don't even buy it on vinyl (recent example: people are raving about MOFI Electric Warrior that just came out; I've had the MOFI SACD of it for a few good turns; I for a split second thought of grabbing the vinyl but, quite honestly, I put money into my digital set-up so I shouldn't sell it short and the SACD has never had me feel like I'm missing out an a better experience, rather I quite enjoy the experience I have when listening to it).

I unabashedly talk about digital here - and it usually isn't in the digital audio thread. No one has ever admonished me for talking about CDs or streaming. We just all enjoy music!

Haha loving it, it’s great that I’m no longer the only weirdo posting CDs/SACDs/streaming in the What’s Spinning thread 😂

I added a digital footprint to my set up reluctantly, but I'm glad I did. It's in no way going to replace my vinyl "addiction", but over time I've decided you can be a frugal addict. Vinyl is getting more and more expensive, some albums I want are quite pricey, I still want them, but I find a CD bookmark a better placeholder than a beat up vinyl copy. Again, I think the overwhelming thing around here is the love of music and while we have a "Vinyl" backbone, I don't believe we're quite as snobish about it as other places on the interwebs ;)

I mentioned this to earlier but it makes total sense to have all option covered if you do it properly. I'm trying to fill the gaps in my Dylan Bootleg Series and there is at least 1 of the Vinyl issues that I know as a minimum uses the exact 44/16 mix that the CD uses. Yet the vinyl is 200 quid and the CD is 5 quid. Bugger that. It's cd and upload for Roon everytime in those circumstances. Decent Dac and streamer and if there is a difference it's negligible.

Back