Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Songs for the Deaf is a bass-heavy album but I would definitely not call it muddy.
its just my go to example for feeling a bit too much bass on the grado... im mostly thinking of the team dresch rn though i am pretty sure you'll all just say "its a bad pressing" and make me doubt why i buy vinyl

some hip hop albums also have this problem too but i dont have exact examples and its just a general thing

its just my go to example for feeling a bit too much bass on the grado... im mostly thinking of the team dresch rn though i am pretty sure you'll all just say "its a bad pressing" and make me doubt why i buy vinyl

some hip hop albums also have this problem too but i dont have exact examples and its just a general thing
I can pretty much guarantee one thing, all records do not sound the same when it comes to tonal reproduction. There's no need to go to the extreme here either, but again, I fall back to having the right expectations when it comes to not only your gear, but the vinyl your spinning. I have 800-ish albums, and when I realized they weren't all going to sound "good" for various reasons beyond my gear I went to a quality over quantity mentality, and if a "quality" pressing wasn't around I would pick up the CD and save myself the money and aggravation.

Those of us with "Better Gear" don't like the way every album we have sounds, some are great, some are acceptable and some just blow. But you need to understand where the problem really is before you make yourself crazy.

i am listening to the numbers band N+G ROTM and i am finding it a bit too bassy, the guitars and bass kinda feel like they are on the same area, the bass blurring the guitars and even the saxaphone (this has been kinda common), it just needs to be a bit brighter

I can pretty much guarantee one thing, all records do not sound the same when it comes to tonal reproduction. There's no need to go to the extreme here either, but again, I fall back to having the right expectations when it comes to not only your gear, but the vinyl your spinning. I have 800-ish albums, and when I realized they weren't all going to sound "good" for various reasons beyond my gear I went to a quality over quantity mentality, and if a "quality" pressing wasn't around I would pick up the CD and save myself the money and aggravation.

Those of us with "Better Gear" don't like the way every album we have sounds, some are great, some are acceptable and some just blow. But you need to understand where the problem really is before you make yourself crazy.

Even if, and this is a big unrealistic silly if, they all sounded fantastic they would not be tonally compatible. Even within genres and types of sound different artists and engineers want to play with tone to achieve differing outcomes. Life is not homogeneous.

but i like owning vinyl and having stuff on my rack, CDs dont seem cool when you can just stream through tidal or qobuz the same stuff

Ok, for me CD's are the replacement, for you it can be streaming.
but i like owning records, whether they are pretty colors or good cover art or just something on my shelf.

plus the bass issue seems to have been pretty common on what i have (even if you all hate VMP presses or non audiophile stuff), so i feel like a cartridge would fix the too bassy feeling.. i just need a bit more brightness

(though maybe its my spending addiction making me think i'd rather pay 20 bucks for an individual record than 10 bucks a month for a stream)

but i like owning records, whether they are pretty colors or good cover art or just something on my shelf.

plus the bass issue seems to have been pretty common on what i have (even if you all hate VMP presses or non audiophile stuff), so i feel like a cartridge would fix the too bassy feeling.. i just need a bit more brightness

The ortofon’s certainly are brighter. I think you’d retain the lovely tone and get the extra detail you need with an 8mz stylus, it did that to a Gold2 for me, but I think at this stage you’ve given up on Grado and don’t want to hear that.

I think you’d retain the lovely tone
it sounds fine its just too MUCH bass and i want there to be a bit more treble since its clear the bass is overpowering a lot of it and the sax and guitar dont have the same power as the stream

(maybe im just clinging onto record because of the sunk cost fallacy and the fact i dont wanna leave my friends on this forum)

I’m just gonna reiterate @duke86fan, every adjective you’ve used and continue to use, to my ears, I would attribute to a 2M Blue. I would be JUMPING on that offer that the kind person here offered to send you one along.
oh legit i am planning on buying it from him... he already did me an amazing solid by giving me fishscale for free.... i feel with all the kindness he has he should at least be payed

The VMP reissue? I know this is the audio hardware forum, but man, did they NAIL it! So good.
yeah.. he was super incredibly nice by doing that stuff (also you can talk about that reissue in the vinyl club side on the R&HH chat.), i feel like after he did something that nice for me and basically gave me the record free as a kind of "early christmas present" i feel like when it comes to a new cartridge i HAVE to reward him with some money

even if you all hate VMP presses or non audiophile stuff
This is a misguided notion my friend, VMP has had hit and misses, that's hardly the reason I, me personally, dislike them. But, I also think Mobile Fidelity has had duds, in this hobby it's really hard to pigeon hole companies to quality. Some just have a better track record, again, this doesn't solve your ongoing issue. It kind of sounds your trying to dismiss the opinions by putting us in a "category", and that's why we're not telling you what you want to hear.

We're being honest, it's up to YOU to make a final decision based on what YOU make of all the information your sifting through and considering, right, wrong or indifferent. All that being said, I think @HayesWeighsIn's comment is probably your best course of action.

This is a misguided notion my friend, VMP has had hit and misses, that's hardly the reason I, me personally, dislike them. But, I also think Mobile Fidelity has had duds, in this hobby it's really hard to pigeon hole companies to quality. Some just have a better track record, again, this doesn't solve your ongoing issue. It kind of sounds your trying to dismiss the opinions by putting us in a "category", and that's why we're not telling you what you want to hear.

We're being honest, it's up to YOU to make a final decision based on what YOU make of all the information your sifting through and considering, right, wrong or indifferent. All that being said, I think @HayesWeighsIn's comment is probably your best course of action.
i guess i am just scared that maybe i just dont like the vinyl sound everyone else likes and i will end up being a digital only person (and thus through slippery slope, leave this place and lose my friends).. im overreacting (how do you stop a brain from overthinking), its just i had some times where the grado sounds good.. even on the same album (the blue vinyl on the numbers band sounds less bloated bass wise than the black), and there can be some great stuff.. i just kinda want something better than i already have

i guess i am just scared that maybe i just dont like the vinyl sound everyone else likes and i will end up being a digital only person (and thus through slippery slope, leave this place and lose my friends).. im overreacting (how do you stop a brain from overthinking), its just i had some times where the grado sounds good.. even on the same album (the blue vinyl on the numbers band sounds less bloated bass wise than the black), and there can be some great stuff.. i just kinda want something better than i already have

There are guaranteed to be carts that perform to your taste, even if they’re not the carts everyone typically goes ape over. You really might click with Ortofon (which, it should be noted, are incredibly popular even if they are not smothered in adulation by audiophiles). The most oft-leveled complaint is that they are “CD-like,” which frankly sounds like exactly what you’re looking for.

Well, one thing you can take off your "Worry Plate" is getting kicked out the N&G front door for going digital.............you're stuck with us ;)

There are guaranteed to be carts that perform to your taste, even if they’re not the carts everyone typically goes ape over. You really might click with Ortofon.
and since im getting it used for cheaper if i dont like it i can just give it to someone else and join the nagaoka or audiotechnica gang

Yeah, I mean this is first and foremost a music forum with a specialty in vinyl. Most of my interaction here is around the music agnostic of format. Hell, most of the time it’s streaming where we can participate together. I, for one, think it would be just perfect to have a digital snob in here telling us what fools we all are. That’s the kind of diversity I live for.

I read your posts as stating that you don't like the warm Grado sound (I love its sound, but if you're concerned about bass than I get it), and it sounds like you would prefer the more analytical Ortofon sound. I'd just get the Blue, give it 6 months and see. The back and forth is just worrying yourself more.

Back