Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

seriously what are good record shelves....the ones i have can DEFINITELY hold a full thing of record but adding like 50 more records on top might break it and i get nervous

seriously what are good record shelves....the ones i have can DEFINITELY hold a full thing of record but adding like 50 more records on top might break it and i get nervous
I still think Ikea makes the best solution, but we had two of the 2 cube ones from target stacked with no issues. 13" 2 Cube Organizer Shelf - Threshold

I still use two of those side by side to make up my record cleaning station. They are quite similar to the Kallax. I don't think most people know the difference unless they placed them side by side.
I know some people stack the 2x3 or 2x4 shelves full of records. I personally wouldn't do it. I just do more 2x4 standing vertically, placed side by side. But I seem to be in the minority on that and a lot of people have no issue with more cubes and stacking cubes.

I still think Ikea makes the best solution, but we had two of the 2 cube ones from target stacked with no issues. 13" 2 Cube Organizer Shelf - Threshold

I still use two of those side by side to make up my record cleaning station. They are quite similar to the Kallax. I don't think most people know the difference unless they placed them side by side.
I know some people stack the 2x3 or 2x4 shelves full of records. I personally wouldn't do it. I just do more 2x4 standing vertically, placed side by side. But I seem to be in the minority on that and a lot of people have no issue with more cubes and stacking cubes.
Short of custom shelving or furniture, I think IKEA makes the best affordable option. 4x4 and 5x5s store a whackload of records very inexpensively and are what I have. Next place is going to have floor to ceiling custom built-ins, but until then it’s a reasonable expense for storage.

If you feel like it's fragile, don't stack it. Records are heavy and expensive. In my opinion you'd rather be safe than sorry.
good.. now i just gotta figure out how to get more since i just get overstressed

Hello everyone! Sorry if this is not the right thread for this.

I've been thinking about getting a RCM lately, I feel it's time to invest in something like that, and it's been a while since I've really bought anything... so my questions would be:

What's a good price range on a RCM?
-Should I get a vacuum cleaner from the go? Or something simpler to use like the spin clean?
-Mainly I'd want something easy to use, so I can teach the people I trust with my stuff to use them too, and I want to keep it simple lol.

I think that's it. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone! Sorry if this is not the right thread for this.

I've been thinking about getting a RCM lately, I feel it's time to invest in something like that, and it's been a while since I've really bought anything... so my questions would be:

What's a good price range on a RCM?
-Should I get a vacuum cleaner from the go? Or something simpler to use like the spin clean?
-Mainly I'd want something easy to use, so I can teach the people I trust with my stuff to use them too, and I want to keep it simple lol.

I think that's it. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Of course, you'll get responses here (and more consolidated), but have you read through some of these threads?

Without much detail - start w/ a vacuum. Unless you're restricted by cost, a vacuum will be superior to your spin cleans, etc.

$400-1000 should be reasonable depending on your budget; but def 400-600 will give you a few options.

Vacuum cleaners are easy to use. If a person can apply liquid, hold a brush, and press a button then they'll be able to pilot this rocket ship.

Of course, you'll get responses here (and more consolidated), but have you read through some of these threads?

Without much detail - start w/ a vacuum. Unless you're restricted by cost, a vacuum will be superior to your spin cleans, etc.

$400-1000 should be reasonable depending on your budget; but def 400-600 will give you a few options.

Vacuum cleaners are easy to use. If a person can apply liquid, hold a brush, and press a button then they'll be able to pilot this rocket ship.

I'll start reading right now, I'm halfway through some threads, must of missed them when I skimmed through the list lol.

Yeah, I was thinking around the $500 USD budget, I may be able to push it a couple hundred more but would rather not to. 😂

I'll start reading right now, I'm halfway through some threads, must of missed them when I skimmed through the list lol.

Yeah, I was thinking around the $500 USD budget, I may be able to push it a couple hundred more but would rather not to. 😂
There's a UK Project VC appreciation society. It was the least expensive over here but is absolutely fine for rotating and vacuuming records. Comes with a batch of fluid, spare felt things and a brush fashioned from goats hair and a dried and moulded unicorn penis... Extra arm is a nuts price though

You know anyone willing to part these things out?
Think you just need to Google 'dried unicorn penis for cleaning records' and loads will come up. You need to be careful though as if you cut yourself on it your hand turns into a rainbow... Even if it's a completely dry day.

Still adds a bit of danger and excitement to an otherwise excruciatingly boring task

Think you just need to Google 'dried unicorn penis for cleaning records' and loads will come up. You need to be careful though as if you cut yourself on it your hand turns into a rainbow... Even if it's a completely dry day.

Still adds a bit of danger and excitement to an otherwise excruciatingly boring task
Welp….I don't know if actually Googling that phrase showed that I am gullible or have an unyielding curiosity.

What I saw....a WebMD article on how to get rid of smegma, Unicorn penis' you can get from Etsy (evidently for bachelorette parties), unicorn pens, unicorns with penises where their horns should be, etc.

Although, one of the first images was in fact a record on a RCM. But TBH, I used bing so maybe that's my own fault.

@ThePakoBuelna Squeaky Clean is a great little thing and runs ~$125 shipped, plus the cost of a small wet-dry shop vac. Probably not the most attractive option if you’re planning on having it out all the time, but if you do batch cleaning it’s fantastic.
Totally agree. My Squeaky Clean is more manual than my new Project, but functionally it absolutely gets records just as clean for a fraction of the price.
The only other manual turn option I know of is the Nitty Gritty 1.0/2.0. I haven't used those, but I would say not worth it given the existence of the Squeaky Clean. If price is a factor, Squeaky Clean is probably the best solution until you're ready to make the jump up to a VPI or a Pro-ject.

@ThePakoBuelna, lots of solid options with great results, I'm going to toss in the VPI 16.5 as an option. It's at the top of your budget but well worth it in my opinion, I have nothing against "manual" labor, but under a minute dirty to platter with no manual turning was very appealing. Give @HiFi Guy a PM, he may have some additional info on a better price on the VPI.............I got mine through "His Guy" ;)

Regardless of which you get, always happy to see someone jump in on the "Clean record is a happy record" camp :)

@Mather if you plan on going soundsmith, the cheapest one available is 700 dollars on elusive disc rn but it requires the MM output for the load imput but needs more voltage than a MM

Back