Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I’m looking to upgrade my mid 90’s Kenwood A/V receiver. It doesn’t have modern connections such as a Digital Audio input/output. It doesn’t have to have a phono output as I have a separate unit for that. It would be used for my CD player and to hook up to the tv because I need to hear the Hamilton movie in stereo. I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-534 but it’s sold out. I don’t really care about 5.1 or 7.1 options. Do they make a 2.1 unit with the options I’m looking for?

Edit-I was able to locate other sellers with the Pioneer but it’s 5.2 and I’ll never use the surround sound.

Last edited:
I’m looking to upgrade my mid 90’s Kenwood A/V receiver. It doesn’t have modern connections such as a Digital Audio input/output. It doesn’t have to have a phono output as I have a separate unit for that. It would be used for my CD player and to hook up to the tv because I need to hear the Hamilton movie in stereo. I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-534 but it’s sold out. I don’t really care about 5.1 or 7.1 options. Do they make a 2.1 unit with the options I’m looking for?

Edit-I was able to locate other sellers with the Pioneer but it’s 5.2 and I’ll never use the surround sound.
My A/V receivers could be configured for whatever speaker setup one wants. You can probably get the Pioneer and configure it for 2.1.

Personally I think an AV receiver is a terrible choice at 2.1, especially if it’s doing music too. All that Dolby processing is no longer necessary, isnt great for analogue music and its licensing takes money out of the amplification budget for the manufacturers. I’d go with an integrated amplifier with a built in DAC for the tv’s input (or skip that entirely if the tv has RCA out) that has an sub-woofer connection.

Sometimes asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission?

Ignore me, there are reasons why I’m single...
This is my plan for the Zu Omen DWs that will be arriving, hopefully in a couple weeks
1. I'm sorry
2. I've wanted them for seven years, these are "the ones"
3. I got them for low-level listening late at night, to not disturb you and the littles
4. I just got my annual service award (unexpectedly) for this year
5. I'm helping the economy, in anticipation of a second stimulus check
6. I haven't played cards or bought anything else in over a month
Etc etc etc

Last edited:
Sooooo I installed my Rothwell 10 db attenuators and changed my Arcams Input RMS to 1 Volt to maximize signal to noise ratio and holy hell. Bass tightened up, soundstage widened, attack got WAY punchier. Not only did the attenuators fix the ADC or DAC chip in the Arcam getting maxed but it also seems to have even improved the sound overall. I suppose this is likely because the amp isn't being overdriven now in terms of the input level so now there's more room to breath within the recordings. The drum solo section of NIN "Piggy" nearly knocked me off the couch. Incredible.

Oh and "Peace Frog" from the AP 2LP 45 RPM Morrison Hotel MAYYYY have brought a tear to my eye... maybe...

This is my plan for the Zu Omen DWs that will be arriving, hopefully in a couple weeks
1. I'm sorry
2. I've wanted them for seven years, these are "the ones"
3. I got them for low-level listening late at night, to not disturb you and the littles
4. I just got my annual service award (unexpectedly) for this year
5. I'm helping the economy, in anticipation of a second stimulus check
6. I haven't played cards or bought anything else in over a month
Etc etc etc

I tried a variant of number 3. It went awry somewhere around having to explain speaker sensitivity and it's benefit for low level listening.

One thing is for sure... number 1 is last resort.

I would go...
then 2.
then 3.
then work in 5 after some time passes.
Pull out 6 if things are not going well.
If you get to 1. it's too late.

whats your favorite place to buy used stuff.. i plan on getting most of my audio stuff new (buying a cartridge used is a pretty bad idea) but saving money on a good DAC/AMP would be useful, and probably if i ever get a new preamp

whats your favorite place to buy used stuff.. i plan on getting most of my audio stuff new (buying a cartridge used is a pretty bad idea) but saving money on a good DAC/AMP would be useful, and probably if i ever get a new preamp

I’ve bought a pieces from Echo Audio and HiFi Heaven and been pleased.

I got my DAC used on the Head-fi forums. It arrived in pretty much new condition. Open box at Music Direct is solid. People also seem to like Echo HiFi but you really need to keep an eye out. They have some great deals that get snatched up quickly. And since it’s preowned, they don’t have a HUGE selection of used stuff.

I got my DAC used on the Head-fi forums. It arrived in pretty much new condition. Open box at Music Direct is solid. People also seem to like Echo HiFi but you really need to keep an eye out. They have some great deals that get snatched up quickly. And since it’s preowned, they don’t have a HUGE selection of used stuff.

I've had great experience with MusicDirect

Not a very profound first post, is it? The iPad gremlins apparently struck, unbeknownst to me. Ah well. Long time lurker here, interested in the discussions but mostly satisfied with my vintage equipment. Envious of the fabulous systems so many of you own, and of the wealth of knowledge so many of you possess.
Hahaha I was just kidding with you, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you. Cheers!

Back