Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I was kidding :ROFLMAO: . It's sadly the question that a lot of dumb Americans ask (including a certain president* of ours...) who are for some reason anti-green energy.

😂😂😂

It’s actually the opposite problem generally here. As I’m sure you know they grow taller in low wind and retract in high wind a lot of ours are both offshore and often retracted down low lol!

I'm so excited. So here's a question: Am I at a point where I'm supposed to be thinking about speaker cables and interconnects?
DID SOMEONE SAY CABLES?

Well sir HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU!

Take these new RCAs right here, they slice theeeey dice, they'll do your laundry if you ask them nice!
And I'm sure you're thinking to yourself "But Mister... that's great and all, but do they play music?"
BOY HOWDY DO THEY EVER! Why these might just be the most musical cables this side of the Gods own universe!

Now I'm sure you're thinking to yourself "But Huddie, how can you afford to buy these cables?"

And to that sir I answer, HOW CAN YOU AFFORD NOT TO!?

Now if you just sign here, here and here and here and here, provide the requisite blood sample and a copy of your mortgage statement and credit card, why we'll just get you right on your way to a musical experience that's so wondrous that Gods favorite angel Gabriel upon first listening was heard to exclaim "By Gods if that isn't the sweetest sound I've ever heard then my name isn't Gabriel the prettiest goddamn angel in heaven!"

That last part got him in a little trouble, but when The Almighty Creator heard the glorious musical notes emanating forth from these cables ALL WAS FORGIVEN FRIEND! Even got him a shimmery new tunic!

I'll put you down for 20. Now if you just sign this standard ol' "soul waiver" we'll get you started on your journey!

Last edited:
The EVO 400s -- it's a little terrifying as I'm going from a 10 year old $1000 home theater avr to ummmm... Something different? But I'm sure it will be great... It is just two very different worlds... and as a fun note, my current recover just developed a firmware error that I understand is a pain to fix so I am completely taking that as "a sign" (not really, but I might as well)

Thanks again! You and the forum are just incredibly generous with your time and knowledge.
What an exciting upgrade! I don't think you'll regret it one bit honestly. You have an amp that can stick with your system for pretty much any set of speakers you might throw at it. Plus if you'll have the ability to tube roll, run triode or ultralinear, could expand to monoblocks if you wanted to get really crazy. I think you can just consider that part of your system "done."

I'm so excited. So here's a question: Am I at a point where I'm supposed to be thinking about speaker cables and interconnects?

I basically have a mismatch blend of old standard cable, some blue jean, some 10-15 year old monster cable, etc and nothing I own is younger than 10 years outside of the phono cables
Speaker cables and interconnects are obviously a disputed topic. In my opinion, they are well worth investing in. Your speakers and sources may somewhat dictate how revealing cables changes are, but I'd expect differences - especially when moving to big differences in designs.

In an ideal world, I'd say full loom of the same company is the way to go, but it's also generally expensive and unrealistic to do so. I do know several people who have preferred brands for power cables, different preferred brands for analog cables (inter + speaker) and another brand for digital cables. And I would say don't look for a best cable - synergy and personal taste are big inputs here. I don't think one specific cable is more important than another, but if one cable is holding back the whole chain it might be harder to tell. Same as source equipment.

To get started on a more affordable path, I would recommend looking into Zu's ebay sales. I do really like their Mission interconnects, and at the prices they can go for on ebay, they are well worth it and an upgrade from BJC in in my opinion. I'm not as keen on their Libtec speaker cables, but I do still have my set in case I want to mix things up.
I also have really liked what I've heard from Wireworld, although I'm not as keen on their Silver/Copper blend option (silver eclipse?). If you have good gear in place, find cables in the budget you are comfortable with, and then I'd say stop messing with gear changes and just buy/sell cables when you have an itch to try something new. Some high dollar stuff can be great, but there are some affordable gems out there as well.

I second the Zu Misson Interconnects off ebay. I have the Mission line across my system. I started with the original Pangea (not the SE) and prefer the Zu. I will admit that this can be preference for sure. The Zu speaker wire I know I preferred over the BlueJeans but I also liked the BlueJeans (white). I'm a complete weirdo but I like the free coasters too.LOL

My personal opinion on what changed the most with upgraded Power Cable (saying exact model incase that helps):
1) Vincent Pho 8 Pre Amp: This is well known across the internet for improving bass. No brainer to me.
2) SVS PB12NSD Sub: This was a pleasant surprise and very noticeable. I caught myself turning it up and down pre Zu Mission Power, don't now.
3) Marantz PM8006: Did it at the same time as sub and honestly noticed very little difference, knowing change in sub I'm sure there was some.
4) Pioneer PLX1000: Again I didn't notice anything but why not make everything look good. I don't regret it at all.

With the interconnects I didn't notice anything at first and as time went on they sounded slightly different. I like the looks of them more than the BlueJeans. One thing I noticed recently though is with BlueJeans I didn't ground my preamp to amp, just from turntable to preamp. When I went to Zu the ground was needed because of a random static issue that went away (could be dumb luck room is carpet and in humid city). 100% at least do BlueJeans over anything beneath such as generic or monoprice. For sure can tell a difference.

People randomly questioning the PLX1000, rest assured this thing is pure magic. I can't describe in words how much of a jump in improvement it was from AT LP120. When I couldn't decide people told me it would be like removing a box over the system and that doesn't even give the jump enough justice. Trust me 100% the Pioneer PLX1000 is a great table. I had a huge write up on the other site of the experience. Everything about the Pioneer is solid and at that price point has to be the choice if considering. Being able to easily swap the carts is a nice bonus too.

@AnthonyI if you get the VM750SH let me know what you think. I got talked down to the VM540ML because couple people told me the 540 cart would work better with the PLX, who knows. I'm curious your comparison between the 95 and the 740. There is literally almost no information on that. I really like the 540ml and I read once it is like a 10% improvement over the 95 but at the price difference that makes the 95 a complete steal. (I realize I'm asking you compare shibata vs microline LOL)

oh, I'
DID SOMEONE SAY CABLES?

Well sir do I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU!

Take these new RCAs right here, they slice theeeey dice, they'll do your laundry if you ask them nice!
And I'm sure you're asking yourself "But Mister... that's great and all but do they play music?"
BOY HOWDY DO THEY EVER! Why these might just be the most musical cables this side of the Gods own universe!

Now I'm sure you're thinking to yourself "But Huddie, how can you afford to buy these cables."

And to that sir I answer, HOW CAN YOU AFFORD NOT TO!?

Now if you just sign here, here and here and here and here, provide the required blood sample and a copy of your mortgage and credit card and we'll just get you on your way to a musical experience that is so wondrous that gods favorite angel Gabriel upon first hearing it was heard to exclaim "By Gods if that isn't the sweetest sound I've ever heard then my name isn't Gabriel the prettiest goddamn angel in heaven!"

That last part got him in a little trouble but when God heard the glorious musical notes emanating forth from these cables ALL WAS FORGIVEN FRIEND! Even got him a shimmery new tunic!

I'll put you down for 20. Now if you just sign this standard ol' "soul waiver" we'll get you started on your journey!
Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett would be incredibly proud. This is spectacular -- right down to the vision of the slick hair and white suit in my head.

What an exciting upgrade! I don't think you'll regret it one bit honestly. You have an amp that can stick with your system for pretty much any set of speakers you might throw at it. Plus if you'll have the ability to tube roll, run triode or ultralinear, could expand to monoblocks if you wanted to get really crazy. I think you can just consider that part of your system "done."

Speaker cables and interconnects are obviously a disputed topic. In my opinion, they are well worth investing in. Your speakers and sources may somewhat dictate how revealing cables changes are, but I'd expect differences - especially when moving to big differences in designs.

In an ideal world, I'd say full loom of the same company is the way to go, but it's also generally expensive and unrealistic to do so. I do know several people who have preferred brands for power cables, different preferred brands for analog cables (inter + speaker) and another brand for digital cables. And I would say don't look for a best cable - synergy and personal taste are big inputs here. I don't think one specific cable is more important than another, but if one cable is holding back the whole chain it might be harder to tell. Same as source equipment.

To get started on a more affordable path, I would recommend looking into Zu's ebay sales. I do really like their Mission interconnects, and at the prices they can go for on ebay, they are well worth it and an upgrade from BJC in in my opinion. I'm not as keen on their Libtec speaker cables, but I do still have my set in case I want to mix things up.
I also have really liked what I've heard from Wireworld, although I'm not as keen on their Silver/Copper blend option (silver eclipse?). If you have good gear in place, find cables in the budget you are comfortable with, and then I'd say stop messing with gear changes and just buy/sell cables when you have an itch to try something new. Some high dollar stuff can be great, but there are some affordable gems out there as well.
This one s great, thank you!

People randomly questioning the PLX1000, rest assured this thing is pure magic. I can't describe in words how much of a jump in improvement it was from AT LP120. When I couldn't decide people told me it would be like removing a box over the system and that doesn't even give the jump enough justice. Trust me 100% the Pioneer PLX1000 is a great table. I had a huge write up on the other site of the experience. Everything about the Pioneer is solid and at that price point has to be the choice if considering. Being able to easily swap the carts is a nice bonus too.

@AnthonyI if you get the VM750SH let me know what you think. I got talked down to the VM540ML because couple people told me the 540 cart would work better with the PLX, who knows. I'm curious your comparison between the 95 and the 740. There is literally almost no information on that. I really like the 540ml and I read once it is like a 10% improvement over the 95 but at the price difference that makes the 95 a complete steal. (I realize I'm asking you compare shibata vs microline LOL)
Oh, if that happens I'll be sure to share the info, that's for sure. I think in the near future the next cart coming in will be a Grado Mono cart, I'm just debating if I want to spend the extra on a Mono Opus3 or just stick to the Prestige for this experiment.......I'm literally in love with this new Opus3.

Any speaker wire/cable advice for my Marantz 2220b? I don’t believe banana plugs can connect from the receiver but they can into speakers.

590FFAD1-3DE7-4D53-899B-708FDEEBDD3D.jpeg

i wonder if i really need the amplifier upgrade (i had the speakers for a couple years but if i dunno if the issue is involving the amplifying of the headphones or if its just something about my cartridge and headphone pairing not working)

Man I love old Marantz, I put led's in my 2215b use it for radio listening every day. It sounds good but I run the tape out into the tuner inputs of my NAD,

Easy, took maybe an hour just take you time and remember its old stuff be gentle. Got my leds from Hippiedream LLC. the tuner pointer was the hardest to get its little cover apart and do a splice the other lights just pop out and in after you get the front cover off. Happy to help with any questions.thumbnail.jpg

Easy, took maybe an hour just take you time and remember its old stuff be gentle. Got my leds from Hippiedream LLC. the tuner pointer was the hardest to get its little cover apart and do a splice the other lights just pop out and in after you get the front cover off. Happy to help with any questions.View attachment 55099

Thanks for the info! I’ll let you know if I get adventurous.

Back