Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

which outputs (ohm) I am supposed to connect the Devore O/96 speakers to on the PrimaLuna EVO 400 amp so that I don't light the house on fire (because, witches, also, possibly electricity). The speakers are measured at 10 Ohms and hypothetically never going below ~8.75 -- and I have no idea how to translate that into the right taps (because, well, ignorance)
You'll always use the black (or white, depending on your amp) tap, plus whichever red tap is closest to the rated impedence of your speakers. In your case, the 8 Ohm taps.
Per the manual, "Experiment using different impedances to find the best match for your speakers. Don’t make any assumptions... Trust your ears!" In other words, you won't burn your house down. At least not literally. You might, however, burn this mother down with your awesome new gear.

Last edited:
Fun fact: I got an email once inviting me to a secret meeting of Free Masons in the UK. There was an attachment which said it was an induction ceremony for new members after proving they could be trusted. The details of the ceremony and event must be kept secret at all costs or the consequences could be fatal. I then got a follow up email saying please disregard and they had meant to send it to my name at me.com instead of gmail.com and that email was meant for a different Mike H :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Whoops! Do you think the sender had to deal with the "possibly fatal" consequences? :devilish:

Funny story. I'm actually the direct descendant of the chief witch burner during by the Salem Witch Trials, "Cotton Mather", and his son "Increase". So my family has a history of burning people for like, pretty much no logical reason whatsoever... YOU'RE ALL ON NOTICE
Ah! This explains why you were ready to choke out half of America a couple months ago without remorse. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Great, thanks for all the advice guys.

Change of plans though: before I get a new integrated amp and/or phono stage, I’ll have to get a new stylus for my Ortofon OM cartridge because my wife accidentally bent the stylus the other day.

Any advice on a stylus? I had an aftermarket shibata from turntableneedles which I enjoyed but they’ve since increased their price from $160 to $185 and with the weak Canadian dollar, I’m considering other options for a replacement.

I can get an OM20 for $229 CAD (about $170 USD) or an OM30 for $350 CAD (about $260 USD) with free shipping and no duty but I’m wondering if the OM30 is overkill for my table (Debut III).

My shibata sounded good and pretty much eliminated any IGD when compared to my OM5e so I’m hoping the OM20 or OM30 will do the same.

Thoughts?

View attachment 50650

Just got the OM20 stylus and Acryl-It platter over the weekend. System is sounding great - the OM20 sounds better than the turntableneedles Shibata I think. New Pro-Ject belt is on its way.

Next up: new integrated amp and phono pre; likely the NAD316 and Musical Fidelity LX2-LPS once I have some extra cash.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!

Hi all. Not sure if I should now move this to trouble
Per the manual, "Experiment using different impedances to find the best match for your speakers. Don’t make any assumptions... Trust your ears!" In other words, you won't burn your house down. At least not literally. You might, however, burn this mother down with your awesome new gear.
So..... They are spectacular. I passed through the buyer's remorse faster than I thought and skipped straight into mainlining gratitude directly into my soul. Thanks everyone. Thanks @HiFi Guy for all the direct help with getting through set-up.

Really, really great. Van Morrison, Common One
20200708_183841.jpg

Not sure if anyone here is going to be able to help with this one, but figured I'd ask. We have a Seeburg 100B jukebox and bought diamond tip needles to replace the super old ones. We played a record and it literally ground the plastic out of the grooves of the record. Like the record sounds terrible now, and you can see the difference where the grooves were scraped out. The old needles have never done that before. Anyone have any ideas why that would be happening?

Not sure if anyone here is going to be able to help with this one, but figured I'd ask. We have a Seeburg 100B jukebox and bought diamond tip needles to replace the super old ones. We played a record and it literally ground the plastic out of the grooves of the record. Like the record sounds terrible now, and you can see the difference where the grooves were scraped out. The old needles have never done that before. Anyone have any ideas why that would be happening?
my guesses is its an eliptical stylus compared to conical stylus, conical are seemingly better for 7inches and jukeboxes, also are any of the 45s styrene

my guesses is its an eliptical stylus compared to conical stylus, conical are seemingly better for 7inches and jukeboxes, also are any of the 45s styrene

I doubt it! The stylus profile should absolutely not cause the needle to eat the record! I’ve pretty much only had elliptical styli and they’ve not only not eaten my 7” singles, they've played them beautifully! My guess would he a faulty/poorly manufactured stylus or a calibration error.

I doubt it! The stylus profile should absolutely not cause the needle to eat the record! I’ve pretty much only had elliptical styli and they’ve not only not eaten my 7” singles, they've played them beautifully! My guess would he a faulty/poorly manufactured stylus or a calibration error.
my 2nd guess was too much tracking force

or even again styrene records are less durable so that could be a thing

Yeah, it got to two records before we realized it, both were styrene. We're going to look into tracking force but it doesn't really seem like it can be adjusted like it can on my normal record player. I'll have to do some research on that. But I figured since the old needle wasn't eating it, it wouldn't be the tracking force?

Yeah, it got to two records before we realized it, both were styrene. We're going to look into tracking force but it doesn't really seem like it can be adjusted like it can on my normal record player. I'll have to do some research on that. But I figured since the old needle wasn't eating it, it wouldn't be the tracking force?
i dont have much knowlege on styrene 45s but i do know some materials definitely break it easy (a ruby stylus aparently has like a 50/50 chance of damaging a styrene) and you cant put a crap ton of force on them... may i ask if its like a new needles or more like a new cartridge

i dont have much knowlege on styrene 45s but i do know some materials definitely break it easy (a ruby stylus aparently has like a 50/50 chance of damaging a styrene) and you cant put a crap ton of force on them... may i ask if its like a new needles or more like a new cartridge

It's pretty much a new needle module that slides right into the arm. I attached some pictures.

Attachments

• 20200709_200229.jpg
    20200709_200229.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200709_200258.jpg
    20200709_200258.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 6
Found this, not sure how much it helps, but some modern styli damaging styrene seems to be a thing.

Edit: some people seem to disagree though, so who knows!

Last edited:
Found this, not sure how much it helps, but some modern styli damaging styrene seems to be a thing.

Edit: some people seem to disagree though, so who knows!
i dont think @RowBearToe's stylus for a jukebox cartridge is a shibata... i dunno if that would work with the jukebox

i see it was a seeburg 100B... there is a whole community about restoring them and special order styli made just for these jukebox's... it might be useful to see if yours is compatible

i dont think @RowBearToe's stylus for a jukebox cartridge is a shibata... i dunno if that would work with the jukebox

i see it was a seeburg 100B... there is a whole community about restoring them and special order styli made just for these jukebox's... it might be useful to see if yours is compatible
I know, I was just letting them know they weren't crazy and that it was a thing people experience. Unfortunately I don't have the answer to prevent it.

Back