Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

All hell about to be unleashed on Discogs with the new idiotic new standardised shipping costs nightmare that Discogs seems intent on destroying its own entire business operation with. I tried setting the shipping protocols up and, like most others, sank fast in a morass of convoluted non-computing logistical hogwash. It looks easy to do but it is geared to infinity for orders and requires every possible weight and format machination to be entered otherwise the dreaded "Your policy is incomplete" message which, if you cannot overcome, will result in all your listings going gray, "unavailable in your country".

Discogs forums going into thermonuclear meltdown. Only workaround I could find to keep my meagre offerings online was to block every other country on earth and only ship locally.

All hell about to be unleashed on Discogs with the new idiotic new standardised shipping costs nightmare that Discogs seems intent on destroying its own entire business operation with. I tried setting the shipping protocols up and, like most others, sank fast in a morass of convoluted non-computing logistical hogwash. It looks easy to do but it is geared to infinity for orders and requires every possible weight and format machination to be entered otherwise the dreaded "Your policy is incomplete" message which, if you cannot overcome, will result in all your listings going gray, "unavailable in your country".

Discogs forums going into thermonuclear meltdown. Only workaround I could find to keep my meagre offerings online was to block every other country on earth and only ship locally.
Man, I’m sayin’. I essentially setup 1-2 flat rates and then 3 and up per additional. Fairly straightforward for domestic. I kind of averaged and padded my international shipments the same way.

Wow, you've done well there. Thats selling worldwide with all "your policy is complete" green messages? You should get on discogs forums to offer some help with it!

some say they thought they'd set it up BUT then the orders come in and it all goes haywire. Especially for sellers in Canada and Europe. UK Royal Mail also seems to have a labyrynthine set of complications to deal with.

Plus, any time a country jacks their postage prices you have to redo the whole thing.

Wow, you've done well there. Thats selling worldwide with all "your policy is complete" green messages? You should get on discogs forums to offer some help with it!

some say they thought they'd set it up BUT then the orders come in and it all goes haywire. Especially for sellers in Canada and Europe. UK Royal Mail also seems to have a labyrynthine set of complications to deal with.

Plus, any time a country jacks their postage prices you have to redo the whole thing.
4BEADBE6-F8C9-43CD-83C0-AC8C61CE71D9.png

160464E2-5000-454A-86E3-FE7260727B89.png
B58EB6FD-E7E6-44A6-80B8-376A138BBF2A.png

Wow! Very nice. Just gave it a try and that works.

But that "all formats" doesnt recognise whether you're sending a cd or an lp. Which will lead to irate customers re; overcharging?

Is it possible to send an invoice if the buyer has paid? Someone bought a record but something went wrong with the shipping cost so i want to send him an invoice with the correct shipping cost. I refunded him the payment.

Is it possible to send an invoice if the buyer has paid? Someone bought a record but something went wrong with the shipping cost so i want to send him an invoice with the correct shipping cost. I refunded him the payment.

You should be able to set this shipping cost at any time and it will send a new invoice to the buyer.

This is about to be the new future. Over and over again. Customers will quickly checkout without reading Seller's Terms, total will invariably be wrong for one party, refunds/reimbursements/recrimination to follow.

Half thinking discogs just want to go the eBay Big Business route and any finicking will be "whatever, fuck 'em, those refunds are all just extra paypal fees, we're going to get rich as shit off this"

You should be able to set this shipping cost at any time and it will send a new invoice to the buyer.

My only options are "Return To Invoice Sent", "Set Payment Received", "Mark As Shipped" or "Cancel". If i select "Return To Invoice Sent" it says "Set Shipping Price And Invoice". I'm guessing that's the one?

Fuck. I just realized discogs wipes out my notes field. I've been keeping track of my signed records and numbered records. 😡

Ok, let's let the cat out of the bag. If this is your listing I mean no offence, I may very well be "uneducated" in the breakdown of how something should be priced based on the information given.

As a fun coda, I think this copy did end up selling for $60 on Saturday

Ebay prices are all over the board for this one (in the last two months w/ shipping: 53, 68, 30, 48, 150 (?!??!), and 46), so $60 does seems a bit high but the Discogs numbers are undercutting it a bit too compared to current market.

Just from my point of view pricing wise on OOP items, I usually look at EBay and Discogs sold items to get a range. I find Discogs is great for frequently traded items whose status hasn't changed or super niche audio-head items, but it lags on recently shifted items pretty badly and doesn't account for lower-traded, niche items. Like it took them a couple months to really track the (temporary?) big shift in My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy or the Hamilton OST for instance (prior to reprintings becoming available), and it also doesn't have enough sales to really get the demand for some other items. For instance, Marina + The Diamonds Froot has been OOP for a little bit but is lightly traded, so the Discogs listings suggests a $25-30 price, whereas EBay is trending at 2x or so that cost with more recent sales.

I do like Discogs to get an idea on what kind of stock retailers may have though in general. A spate of listings with weird shifts between retail and higher re-sale suggests waiting may be a good strategy.

Last edited:
How’d that happen? I create lists for all my autographed ones. May be more future proof.

I'm not sure how it happened. I've been keeping track in the notes, but it is all gone now. They seemed to add ratings for sleeve conditions, which is nice, but it wiped out my existing notes.

I'll have to try making lists like what you do.

Cheers.

1600702502052.png

I'm not sure how it happened. I've been keeping track in the notes, but it is all gone now. They seemed to add ratings for sleeve conditions, which is nice, but it wiped out my existing notes.

I'll have to try making lists like what you do.

Cheers.

View attachment 67091
Sorry I misspoke, lists are different. I use the folder column. And the rating has always been there from my knowledge. There are two different collection views, which makes things confusing. One you can get to from Profile -> In Collection and the other just says “Collection” in the drop down. One has sleeve and one doesn’t.

Back