Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I had an order placed over the weekend that I shipped but looking back it seems kind of suspicious. The buyer asked for some pictures (the email was kind of broken English but hey, I'm not going to judge). They paid via PayPal and I shipped it out. The address seems to be in a business Park which is a bit strange. Now also on another message board that I listed the record on months ago I had message from a new user that almost seems like it came from a bit asking about the same record. Think it's anything to worry about?

I had an order placed over the weekend that I shipped but looking back it seems kind of suspicious. The buyer asked for some pictures (the email was kind of broken English but hey, I'm not going to judge). They paid via PayPal and I shipped it out. The address seems to be in a business Park which is a bit strange. Now also on another message board that I listed the record on months ago I had message from a new user that almost seems like it came from a bit asking about the same record. Think it's anything to worry about?

It could just be the same person looking really hard for that record. I've definitely thrown out a few spare lines when I was trying to lock down something hard to get.

What are the rules when it comes to reissues of limited releases?

SRC released The All American Rejects in 2018 on red, clear and blue tri colored vinyl and bonys 7" on green/black vinyl split limited too 500 copies.

They just had a reissue of this variant on 9/18/2020. It's not part of the original batch of 500, has a new UPC and copyright date of 2020 on the album cover.

I created a new release for it on Discogs. But It's been immediately requested to be merged with the 2018 release citing "It's the same release".

Edit: also, I can't compare the matrix with the 2018 release because it was never included in the original discogs entry. The UPC is for sure different though. So far the majority vote is for merging the two releases and that the reissue is not a separate release.

SRC released The All American Rejects in 2018 on red, clear and blue tri colored vinyl and bonys 7" on green/black vinyl split limited too 500 copies.

They just had a reissue of this variant on 9/18/2020. It's not part of the original batch of 500, has a new UPC and copyright date of 2020 on the album cover.

I created a new release for it on Discogs. But It's been immediately requested to be merged with the 2018 release citing "It's the same release".

Edit: also, I can't compare the matrix with the 2018 release because it was never included in the original discogs entry. The UPC is for sure different though. So far the majority vote is for merging the two releases and that the reissue is not a separate release.
To me it sounds like re press, if not a re issue. Especially if it's got a different UPC.

If they just double dipped and expanded the pressing theres not much you can do. As for the different UPC, remember you are relying on the first one being correct. If there are no pictures of the barcode then I wouldn't necessarily trust the data. People copy to draft from old releases and then update some things and forget the barcode.

To me it sounds like re press, if not a re issue. Especially if it's got a different UPC.

Whether or not it's a repress or reissue, if the original pressing was clearly marked as limited to 500 copies, wouldn't the second pressing be part of its own release? Especially because it does have a different UPC.

Are you saying they are taking it as they just decided to press more copies and therefor it's not a different release?

Whether or not it's a repress or reissue, if the original pressing was clearly marked as limited to 500 copies, wouldn't the second pressing be part of its own release? Especially because it does have a different UPC.

Are you saying they are taking it as they just decided to press more copies and therefor it's not a different release?
@Ethos99 brought up a good point above so I'm not sure. To me, 2 years after the original pressing seems like a pretty big gap. It seems logic would dictate "decided to press more" = Re Press. But sometimes Discogs rules don't always follow what immediately seems most logical.

Just went and looked at it. too bad about that barcode in the picture, way too blurry. I would say also that people get ahead of themselves and dont check all the facts before they merge.. I've been guilty of it. Let the community look at the facts and I'm pretty sure based on the barcode it wont be merged. It would help you if you could link to a website where they are selling this new version (or were selling) and give some more info.

I unfortunately cant vote on this one or I would vote No.

Just went and looked at it. too bad about that barcode in the picture, way too blurry. I would say also that people get ahead of themselves and dont check all the facts before they merge.. I've been guilty of it. Let the community look at the facts and I'm pretty sure based on the barcode it wont be merged. It would help you if you could link to a website where they are selling this new version (or were selling) and give some more info.

I unfortunately cant vote on this one or I would vote No.

Yeah, linking would help.

BM actually has both pressings as separate items in their catalog. Each with a different release date and UPC. SRC is selling the new pressings under the same catalog item in their Inventory on their website. So I guess there is that to say it's the same release.

And yeah, that UPC was horrible to try to compare. I had to do some enhancements in photoshop to get just a couple numbers of it that were different.

If it has a different printed UPC, then it's a different sub...

Anything printed on a release - as in not a sticker - would be enough for a different unique sub.

I voted no...but I'm not sure it's gonna be enough.

If the only differences are on stickers - once the shrink is removed, then you can't tell the original 2018 release from the 2020 release.

I don't totally agree with this, but I also see their point.

If the printed UPC is different from the 2018 release then you have something - but I'm not seeing any difference with the small print on the rear sleeve.

I voted no...but I'm not sure it's gonna be enough.

If the only differences are on stickers - once the shrink is removed, then you can't tell the original 2018 release from the 2020 release.

I don't totally agree with this, but I also see their point.

If the printed UPC is different from the 2018 release then you have something - but I'm not seeing any difference with the small print on the rear sleeve.

Both the 2018 and 2020 release had a sticker over the printed UPC on the back album cover. It's directly on the cover therefore remains when the shrinkwrap is removed. Other than that, I think the only difference I found somewhere was a © 2020 on the printed insert. I don't know about the matrix's themselves because the 2018 release didn't include any info on them.

Yeah, I'm seeing now how this release is not so clear cut.

if there is a 2020 printed on the new one, then it should be a new sub.

If you can take a photo of it you can upload it still while it's in merge - using this direct link...

The matrix probably won't help you - that 30XXX number is from RTI and from 2018 - so this is a repress of that one, too.

Discogs has flinched at the deadline and postponed the Oct 1st bloodbath until Nov 1st.

They dont seem to realise that by going Full Corporate America and dismissing the rest of the world and the little sellers in favour of a few Big Sellers that they are going against the spirit of why the place took off in the first place, as a community-based option to big sterile vicious FeeBay.

Big Biz types arent the ones who write the submissions for the discogs database. It's the fanatical little losers like me. And I'll be fucked if I'm ever writing another one to benefit some hostile corporate entity.

Anyone notice the "last sold" line on discogs doesn't update with any regularity?

It looks like the latest updates, checking 8-10 albums randomly, was around the 15th of September.

Any insight to how this is updated?

Anyone notice the "last sold" line on discogs doesn't update with any regularity?

It looks like the latest updates, checking 8-10 albums randomly, was around the 15th of September.

Any insight to how this is updated?

i think this, like most of the sales stats, are buggy and broken.

Back