Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

stating etched/stamped is more of a thing for older releases, where you have multiple pressing plants or other companies involved in the release.

Today, you usually only have 1 plant involved in the release, so specifying what is what really doesn't do anything to help differentiate between releases.

That being said, you don't know you need to differentiate unless you know what is etched/stamped....so that's where I'm conflicted.

Shitty web subs is always an issue with popular releases...and as i expected, this removal will fail here soon

there are way too many of these lately. and folks start adding them to their collection out of confusion or something. like the VMP art blakey release that was web-subbed forever ago and was clearly not in anyone's hands. some folks were understandably confused and added it to their collection anyway. so it stayed. sigh.

there are way too many of these lately. and folks start adding them to their collection out of confusion or something. like the VMP art blakey release that was web-subbed forever ago and was clearly not in anyone's hands. some folks were understandably confused and added it to their collection anyway. so it stayed. sigh.

It's usually really out of hand around RSD...and we got 2 more of those coming.

Just out of curiosity, let's do a little "Survey" if you will.

A album on Cogs is listed with the following Statistics:
Lowest: $15.00
Median: $35.00
Highest: $90.00

What do you think the asking price of a VG+/VG+ should be?

For me, the highest is an outlier. Could have been autographed or something.

For me, I would price $35 to $50 range depending on where other listings are at and when the last time it actual sold was.

But last time it sold is key. If it hasn't sold in a long time and there are none currently for sale you have a lot more wiggle room on market value.

Plenty of factors here that should be established:
  • Are there any currently for sale?
  • What do other sale trend sites like Popsike say about the item?
  • When was the last sold? If it was >6 months ago then I'd argue the demand could have increased, thus the next person sets a price and then others may fall in from there.

It's subjective of course but assuming it's a recent seller and there are several others available I would guess it would be $25-$35 just based on your example.

Edit: Oh and then on your interpretation of what VG+ means..

Ok, let's let the cat out of the bag. If this is your listing I mean no offence, I may very well be "uneducated" in the breakdown of how something should be priced based on the information given.

Ok, let's let the cat out of the bag. If this is your listing I mean no offence, I may very well be "uneducated" in the breakdown of how something should be priced based on the information given.

That's the thing with discogs, you can look at almost any release and there's people selling for 20$ in mint condition and someone usually also has it listed for 200$.

I don't know why people do that but I think they add it to their collection and also stick it up for sale just in case it goes that high.

In this case the person may think they are the only way to get it and expect a premium.

Do you check the sales statistics?
F98E3013-3ECE-44CE-A65C-A2C771904866.png
And the going rate for the one available copy is $60. To me that is overpriced if they are looking to sell it fast but a lot of people will just list stuff for a “I don’t care if I sell it price” and hope someone with cash to burn will take the plunge. I would say if I was going to list a copy for sale to move I would list it for $40 based on scarcity and past sold prices but if no one else is listing it and someone convinces themselves they need it then I bet they could still make a sale at $60 though, it may take a bit longer and if other sellers put their copies up for sale it may under the seller.

TL; DR: It is overpriced but not crazy overpriced.

View attachment 66726
And the going rate for the one available copy is $60. To me that is overpriced if they are looking to sell it fast but a lot of people will just list stuff for a “I don’t care if I sell it price” and hope someone with cash to burn will take the plunge. I would say if I was going to list a copy for sale to move I would list it for $40 based on scarcity and past sold prices but if no one else is listing it and someone convinces themselves they need it then I bet they could still make a sale at $60 though, it may take a bit longer and if other sellers put their copies up for sale it may under the seller.

Nice, I did t know you could do that.

View attachment 66726

Yes, I usually do. All the comments are of course part of the formula, I just find that sellers with higher ratings are usually more in line with pricing. But honestly, with Cogs I sometimes wonder if I'm missing something. Although the bottom line is simple, if you don't like the price, don't buy it. Thanks to everyone for chiming in :)

Back