Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

For the record, pun intended, I have never had a complaint of a damaged record shipped in a uline.

I feel like records need more protection sometimes but I can't argue with the stats.

yeah, Ive gotten some messed up records and bent corners but its almost when they have no fillers to give additional protection and/or they have 3 records stuffed in.

I just recently started listening some things on Discogs. Is it unusual for a buyer to place an order and not pay instantly? I had someone place an order last night but still not payment. I know they have 5 days but every other order I've gotten payment immediately.

I just recently started listening some things on Discogs. Is it unusual for a buyer to place an order and not pay instantly? I had someone place an order last night but still not payment. I know they have 5 days but every other order I've gotten payment immediately.

I have people do that that may be waiting for payday so they usually pay in one or two days and I have the people who I need to send a message to asking them to complete their order. By reaching out to them I've never had an order I had to cancel for non payment.

I do wait at least two days before I poke them.

Maybe they get paid tomorrow and just wanted to put a hold on that album/price until their money comes through?

No idea, though. I always pay immediately unless I have to wait for the seller to calculate shipping first.

I have people do that that may be waiting for payday so they usually pay in one or two days and I have the people who I need to send a message to asking them to complete their order. By reaching out to them I've never had an order I had to cancel for non payment.

I do wait at least two days before I poke them.
Good point about payday. I'll give them a couple days. As a newer seller I've been trying extra hard to get shipments out promptly. My worry is they think they completed it but didn't. I'll give them through Friday before I bother them.

Can anyone point me to the guidelines for entering a boxset (@LeeVing maybe?)

Or perhaps answer this question: If a boxset has 3 studio albums and 1 set of outtakes, does it outline how the albums should be listed (chronological?) and then, should the tracklisting be listed as A-B-C-D-E-F and so forth even though each album is listed as A/B on their labels -- or list each tracklist as the labels display (with the A/B sides)?

Or perhaps answer this question: If a boxset has 3 studio albums and 1 set of outtakes, does it outline how the albums should be listed (chronological?) and then, should the tracklisting be listed as A-B-C-D-E-F and so forth even though each album is listed as A/B on their labels -- or list each tracklist as the labels display (with the A/B sides)?
You could pulls up some other box set entries and use that as a template. That is what I would suggest. Ideally really popular established sets (Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, etc...) as I am sure most of those would be well vetted.

The Guided by Voices - Box is a great example I think. Lists 4 albums in chronological order and then the 5 lp is outtakes.

Yes...just continue with the next letter.

I would do chronological, but should be in the order listed on the release.

With the Stones Throw box set - I went with the order listed on the front of the box.

If there is no order on the release and you go with Chronological order, I'd make a note that there is no order on the release and why it is in the order you chose.

You could also go to the labels website and see if they list it a certain way.

You can also use headers in the tracklist for each album title, so they are separated within the tracklist.

Last edited:

still at it. He's either not understanding anything I'm writing - or has me blocked.

Because I don't get where he says " About adding the clarification that Shreyer's credit is reflected "as per the cover"? I haven't heard anyone disagree on that" because that's exactly what I've disagreed on numerous times.

His perseveration on mastering credits is a bit odd.

Last edited:
still at it. He's either not understanding anything I'm writing - or has me blocked.

Because I don't get where he says " About adding the clarification that Shreyer's credit is reflected "as per the cover"? I haven't heard anyone disagree on that" because that's exactly what I've disagreed on numerous times.

His perseveration on mastering credits is a bit odd.

looks like he's lost everyone's attention at this point.

Just curious, what's the proper way to grade a record that is for the most part clean but has a few ocassional pops due to just being a not so great pressing? Not due to dirt or scratches. Most likely would be on par with other copies.

Just curious, what's the proper way to grade a record that is for the most part clean but has a few ocassional pops due to just being a not so great pressing? Not due to dirt or scratches. Most likely would be on par with other copies.

follow the guidelines but also add a detailed description. i just sold a pristine LOOKING copy of a very desirable title that had surface noise during certain passages. i graded it VG+ and explained in the notes. my buyer was very happy with his purchase.

Random question - do you use the star ratings for albums in your discogs collection? Is that supposed to be a combined score of the Media Condition and Sleeve Condition? Or just a rating of how the album is presented in the package? Or a rating of the music itself?

Also, is there a way to see user reviews of pressings within the mobile app?

Random question - do you use the star ratings for albums in your discogs collection? Is that supposed to be a combined score of the Media Condition and Sleeve Condition? Or just a rating of how the album is presented in the package? Or a rating of the music itself?

I use the star rating for the album itself based on the music ..not the quality of the pressing etc ..never thought of doing it any other way

I use it to rate the quality of the pressing. Other avenues out there for rating the music itself. Gives people a better idea of which pressing is potentially superior

Does anyone know why this official release is blocked from being sold? Prince - Sign "O" The Times

It really sucks...but I think it's from who is running the Prince estate.

DiscogsOps Staff
Release has been blocked from the Marketplace as a result of a legal notice received by Discogs from the rights holder. Ref. #287196

Being that it isn't released yet - September 25th is the release date - I would think it would become unblocked once that date hits.

Back