Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Yeah, it is one of those things that is like WTF the first time you go to do it but once you figure it out it’s a pretty easy process.

I remember seeing edit comments that said people added it and I guess I figured there would be a place to do that on the edit page. It is pretty straight forward now.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Anyone else notice the drop on the max value amount over the last week (sterling value) .mines dropped £4K....wondering if they’ve cleaned up some of those suspiciously high sales ...my average and lowest are about the same
Pretty sure it's related to the exchange rates. After Brexit I lost close to £10,000 on my collection and I'm down £5,000 now from the recent peak despite adding a ton of records.

I have a question about the "make an offer" feature. Apologies if this has been asked before -- I did some searches on the thread but didn't see anything.

So I was looking at a record -- limited pressing but not something I think would be in high demand. Discogs sales history is as follows based on 10 sales:

low: $36
high: $110 (this is an outlier)

median price with the outlier: $56
average price with the outlier: $60

median price without the outlier: $55
average price without the outlier: $54

There are 4 copies for sale on Discogs right now, between $84 - $100. One seller is accepting offers, with the purchase price listed at $90. I made an offer of $55. I recognize that's substantially lower than the asking price, but I thought it was reasonable based on the sales history even when you consider the one copy that sold for twice the average. Unfortunately, the seller hasn't responded to my offer, and the time to do so expires tomorrow.

Okay, so here's my question, in two parts:
  1. Assuming the seller has seen the offer, is there any advantage/disadvantage to letting it expire instead of rejecting it outright? In other words, is there any incentive for a seller to intentionally ignore an offer?
  2. If the offer does expire, will Discogs treat that the same as a rejection and prevent me from making a second offer?

I have a question about the "make an offer" feature. Apologies if this has been asked before -- I did some searches on the thread but didn't see anything.

So I was looking at a record -- limited pressing but not something I think would be in high demand. Discogs sales history is as follows based on 10 sales:

low: $36
high: $110 (this is an outlier)

median price with the outlier: $56
average price with the outlier: $60

median price without the outlier: $55
average price without the outlier: $54

There are 4 copies for sale on Discogs right now, between $84 - $100. One seller is accepting offers, with the purchase price listed at $90. I made an offer of $55. I recognize that's substantially lower than the asking price, but I thought it was reasonable based on the sales history even when you consider the one copy that sold for twice the average. Unfortunately, the seller hasn't responded to my offer, and the time to do so expires tomorrow.

Okay, so here's my question, in two parts:
  1. Assuming the seller has seen the offer, is there any advantage/disadvantage to letting it expire instead of rejecting it outright? In other words, is there any incentive for a seller to intentionally ignore an offer?
  2. If the offer does expire, will Discogs treat that the same as a rejection and prevent me from making a second offer?
In my experience, letting an offer expire is treated the same as a rejection, so you wouldn't be able to place another offer for the duration that the item is available.

As for the advantages, I would typically let something expire if I'm on the fence on deciding whether to accept or not. Many times the item expires because I forgot about it or because it feels less aggressive than straight out rejecting it. Other times, if I plan to reject but want to come to a closer middle ground, I'll message the buyer to work something out before rejecting.

In my experience, letting an offer expire is treated the same as a rejection, so you wouldn't be able to place another offer for the duration that the item is available.

As for the advantages, I would typically let something expire if I'm on the fence on deciding whether to accept or not. Many times the item expires because I forgot about it or because it feels less aggressive than straight out rejecting it. Other times, if I plan to reject but want to come to a closer middle ground, I'll message the buyer to work something out before rejecting.
I figured the answer was something along those lines. Would you be miffed if the person who made you the offer shot you a quick message to ask if you'd seen it, if you were deliberately sitting on it?

I figured the answer was something along those lines. Would you be miffed if the person who made you the offer shot you a quick message to ask if you'd seen it, if you were deliberately sitting on it?
I'd actually prefer it. Either as a reminder or a way to break the ice to understand what they're thinking offer wise. I've also had situations where someone offered to do it directly through PayPal to help me save on fees. I think that breaks Discogs policy but it happens.

I'd actually prefer it. Either as a reminder or a way to break the ice to understand what they're thinking offer wise. I've also had situations where someone offered to do it directly through PayPal to help me save on fees. I think that breaks Discogs policy but it happens.
Yes, this.

I've understood letting an offer expire can be a passive aggressive rejection because you are very unlikley to look elsewhere with a potential acceptance hanging over you so it puts you in a sort of bind as "punishment".

Personally, my acceptance of an offer is almost entirely a function of the asking price; something substantially lower I will just reject as soon as i see it, something reasonable I will immediately accept.

Yes, this.

I've understood letting an offer expire can be a passive aggressive rejection because you are very unlikley to look elsewhere with a potential acceptance hanging over you so it puts you in a sort of bind as "punishment".

Personally, my acceptance of an offer is almost entirely a function of the asking price; something substantially lower I will just reject as soon as i see it, something reasonable I will immediately accept.
That was my thinking, too. I went ahead and messaged, but may have to let this one pass me by. It's a one-sided LP that I was looking at purely for the sake of scratching a completist itch. Not paying $90 + shipping for 17 minutes of music.

Yes, this.

I agree about immediately answering. One because it's holding me up from selling it to someone else and two because I want them to buy it from me or be able to move on.

Same reason I hate waiting 4 days before I can cancel a non-payer.

Question that might have been previously addressed...

What should be used as a release date for vinyl pre-orders when you actually receive it and you enter it in Discogs?

Say you pre-order an album on vinyl, which releases digitally on one date (ex: 6/26/2020), but the vinyl ships "around" another date a few weeks/months later.

Last edited:
Question that might have been previously addressed...

What should be used as a release date for vinyl pre-orders when you actually receive it and you enter it in Discogs?

Say you pre-order an album on vinyl, which releases digitally on one date (ex: 6/26/2020), but the vinyl ships "around" another date a few weeks/months later.

Use the month it ships. Vinyl usually has a different release date well after the digital releases these days.

Year-Month-00 (2020-07-00 would be July 2020)

Sometimes people that pre-order still get the release prior to the actual vinyl street date - if this street date is on the website, this can be used.
If the street date is in the future, you will need to also upload an image to verify you have the release in hand, this is so people just don't make submissions based on a press release of a release months away.

Most mail-order type releases are fine with just a Month/Year release date, as a specific date of release is usually missed because of manufacturing delays - labels just ship them out when they receive them.

I had an issue with a user that changed the release date of Mondo's Jaws soundtrack to July when it was pre-orderable...from December when it was released.

"Ship date isn't a release date. Fuck discog and you. I'm quitting this place. This should be a database of real information, not ship dates. Who gives a fuck about a ship date?"

And here's a forum discussion - it's a good practice to add a link to the forums when changing things.

Last edited:
PSA for buyers on Discogs...

If you're not sure whether your payment went through, please please message your seller first and ask. Do NOT fill out the PayPal invoice 5 additional times and send 5 additional payments. PayPal does NOT refund the seller on fees, so, each time you send the payment (which will eventually be refunded) the seller is being hit with a new non-refundable fee.

(I just lost $12 on a $40 record because my buyer sent me 6 payments spread out over 12 hours. Please do not do this.)

PSA for buyers on Discogs...

If you're not sure whether your payment went through, please please message your seller first and ask. Do NOT fill out the PayPal invoice 5 additional times and send 5 additional payments. PayPal does NOT refund the seller on fees, so, each time you send the payment (which will eventually be refunded) the seller is being hit with a new non-refundable fee.

(I just lost $12 on a $40 record because my buyer sent me 6 payments spread out over 12 hours. Please do not do this.)

I'll need to check but I believe I've always been refunded fees.

Edit: My refunds have been partials and not the whole amount, however they have refunded partial fees each time.

Last edited:
I'll need to check but I believe I've always been refunded fees.

Edit: My refunds have been partials and not the whole amount, however they have refunded partial fees each time.

I called PayPal after I posted and they said they can do a one time credit of up to $25, so I got my $12 back. I’m not sure how firm they are on it being a one time courtesy or whether partial refunds have a different policy. It’s possible their overall policies change often.

When in doubt, reach out to your seller/friend/family member and ask if they got the payment first and save the world some time/money. *peace sign emoji*

I can't decide how I feel about this spotlight on discogs. On one hand, it encourages flipping (which I'll say I'm a bit indifferent on until I miss out on a release I wanted), but on the other hand, it sheds light on "limited" (read: not standard new) releases, which they in turn point out will eventually end up back on disgouge for high prices that they then profit off of.

It's basically saying hey, buy these releases then flip 'em y'all lmaoooooo

1592587003639.png

I can't decide how I feel about this spotlight on discogs. On one hand, it encourages flipping (which I'll say I'm a bit indifferent on until I miss out on a release I wanted), but on the other hand, it sheds light on "limited" (read: not standard new) releases, which they in turn point out will eventually end up back on disgouge for high prices that they then profit off of.

It's basically saying hey, buy these releases then flip 'em y'all lmaoooooo

View attachment 52740

Do you have the link to the story?

I've started selling off some of my records on Discogs and just noticed that they are billing me for tax but it is never added to the order. I've searched through the help on Discogs and Paypal and can't find out how to do this. Any hints on this? I'm kinda ticked that Discogs knows how to collect the tax from me, but not from the buyer. I have no idea of the tax jurisdiction when someone buys a record and pays instantly.

I've started selling off some of my records on Discogs and just noticed that they are billing me for tax but it is never added to the order. I've searched through the help on Discogs and Paypal and can't find out how to do this. Any hints on this? I'm kinda ticked that Discogs knows how to collect the tax from me, but not from the buyer. I have no idea of the tax jurisdiction when someone buys a record and pays instantly.

I just checked my orders.

When someone paid me with paypal the charge for Tax is there (collected) and then paypal takes their fee. I keep the tax until discogs invoices for it.
When someone paid with Discogs payments, the fees and taxes were collected and taken off before they paid me.

I did see one that was from North Carolina that had no Tax collected or paid by me, so they don't collect tax in every state.

Keep in mind that paypal takes their's off the top but discogs bills you. This is a PITA because I hold all the extra charges until they invoice me, but that's the problem using paypal.

On another note, the percentage between discogs fees and payout is about the same as paypal, so the only advantage to using discogs is you dont have to account for the taxes and fees being billed later.

Edit: Also, under settings there is a section for tax and it shows you where discogs collects taxes. you can change some of the options per state but some are fixed.

Last edited:
Back