Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Trying to create a color variant of a record on discogs...but I think I did it wrong. I duplicated master release, then added details for the color variant. Then I saved and published and hit merge...

Original:

Color variant:

But it's showing up as a separate release in discogs...does it just need to be voted on to merge? Or do I need to do something else?

Trying to create a color variant of a record on discogs...but I think I did it wrong. I duplicated master release, then added details for the color variant. Then I saved and published and hit merge...

Original:

Color variant:

But it's showing up as a separate release in discogs...does it just need to be voted on to merge? Or do I need to do something else?

looks like someone is on the case for you. it initially just needed to be added to the master release, not merged into another. the submission you copied from was full of issues, so both will need to be fixed.

looks like someone is on the case for you. it initially just needed to be added to the master release, not merged into another. the submission you copied from was full of issues, so both will need to be fixed.
Thanks! Yea I tried to add the color release and once I submitted realized there were a lot of errors and then it wouldn’t let me correct it. I’ll check it again later though to try to update! Thanks!

More voting help....

Need some NO votes on these merges -

And a Yes vote here -

Thanks.

More voting help....

Need some NO votes on these merges -

And a Yes vote here -

Thanks.
Silly question, but I’m new to voting and submitting things. Do I just write No where in the comment box under the other votes in edit release?

If you have voting rights there will be a drop down menu

Annotation 2020-05-22 174739.jpg
(this image is just a random sub that has a merge in process - not any of the ones I linked to)

If you don't see this, whatever formula they use to determine giving someone voting rights hasn't deemed you worthy.

Getting The Ability To Vote
20.1.1. New users cannot vote. The ability to vote is automatically assigned based on your interaction with the site. Generally, you need to log in reasonably regularly, view releases, read the guidelines, comment correctly on others submissions and make good submissions and updates. Basically, you need to be a helpful and positive contributor to the site.

20.1.2. The ability to vote is not permanent. It can be removed if you don't vote, if you make bad judgments, if you are abusive or if the system needs to be adjusted.

No one really knows the formula - one day you'll just be able to vote. It's pretty arbitrary, as I've seen users with 0 rank points vote - but they've been a user for years.

I'd rather a new user that is active with edits and such be able to vote on merges than those kind of users.

Last edited:

View attachment 48424
(this image is just a random sub that has a merge in process - not any of the ones I linked to)

If you don't see this, whatever formula they use to determine giving someone voting rights hasn't deemed you worthy.

20.1.1. New users cannot vote. The ability to vote is automatically assigned based on your interaction with the site. Generally, you need to log in reasonably regularly, view releases, read the guidelines, comment correctly on others submissions and make good submissions and updates. Basically, you need to be a helpful and positive contributor to the site.

20.1.2. The ability to vote is not permanent. It can be removed if you don't vote, if you make bad judgments, if you are abusive or if the system needs to be adjusted.

No one really knows the formula - one day you'll just be able to vote. It's pretty arbitrary, as I've seen users with 0 rank points vote - but they've been a user for years.

I'd rather a new user that is active with edits and such be able to vote on merges than those kind of users.
Ah okay. I’m not eligible then it seems. Been a member for 8 years but don’t comment or post regularly on there aside from inputting my collection.

Thanks! Yea I tried to add the color release and once I submitted realized there were a lot of errors and then it wouldn’t let me correct it. I’ll check it again later though to try to update! Thanks!

looks like we need just one more vote against and you can work on fixing that up. start by fixing the track positions to reflect vinyl sides (A1, A2, B1, B2, etc.) and adjust the titles so people aren't being YELLED AT.

looks like we need just one more vote against and you can work on fixing that up. start by fixing the track positions to reflect vinyl sides (A1, A2, B1, B2, etc.) and adjust the titles so people aren't being YELLED AT.
Haha yea. I messed up and just copied the regular listing someone had created. I only changed the info and color. It’s been a minute since I’ve done an actual listing but I successfully made a different one today for the VMP David Gray White Ladder pressing and know how to properly fix it now once I’m allowed back in to edit. Thanks for the assist!

Haha yea. I messed up and just copied the regular listing someone had created. I only changed the info and color. It’s been a minute since I’ve done an actual listing but I successfully made a different one today for the VMP David Gray White Ladder pressing and know how to properly fix it now once I’m allowed back in to edit. Thanks for the assist!

it's all good! you'll just want to jump on it ASAP so some of the "less patient" folks don't start casting nasty votes.

View attachment 48424

I’m not worthy yet either

Back