Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I just checked my orders.

When someone paid me with paypal the charge for Tax is there (collected) and then paypal takes their fee. I keep the tax until discogs invoices for it.
When someone paid with Discogs payments, the fees and taxes were collected and taken off before they paid me.

I did see one that was from North Carolina that had no Tax collected or paid by me, so they don't collect tax in every state.

Keep in mind that paypal takes their's off the top but discogs bills you. This is a PITA because I hold all the extra charges until they invoice me, but that's the problem using paypal.

On another note, the percentage between discogs fees and payout is about the same as paypal, so the only advantage to using discogs is you dont have to account for the taxes and fees being billed later.

Edit: Also, under settings there is a section for tax and it shows you where discogs collects taxes. you can change some of the options per state but some are fixed.
PayPal isn’t collecting the sales tax on my orders. The help Documentation says to go to settings and then tax, but I don’t have that option on my account. Do you have to upgrade to a seller account?

@Kris

Paypal doesnt, discogs tells paypal the breakdown so they dont charge their fees on the sale+tax (just on the sale)

try this link: Discogs Login Scroll down to Tax Rules. Make sure you dont have any checked that you are collecting and paying (blue Check)

I don't think i have a special account. I just started weeding my collection during the shutdown for fun.

Last edited:
@Kris

Paypal doesnt, discogs tells paypal the breakdown so they dont charge their fees on the sale+tax (just on the sale)

try this link: Discogs Login Scroll down to Tax Rules. Make sure you dont have any checked that you are collecting and paying (blue Check)

I don't think i have a special account. I just started weeding my collection during the shutdown for fun.
Thank you. This is helpful. I don't have any checked. There are many that are greyed out and marked as "Discogs is collecting sales tax" but I am assuming that only applies for Discogs payments.

Once I drilled down into the specific sales, I could see that Paypal DID collect taxes on the ones I'm being billed for from Discogs. So I was wrong, lol.

I am also just weeding out my collection. It's been a nice diversion while stuck at home. I made enough so far to upgrade to the Marantz CD6006. I'm excited, lol.

Thank you. This is helpful. I don't have any checked. There are many that are greyed out and marked as "Discogs is collecting sales tax" but I am assuming that only applies for Discogs payments.

Once I drilled down into the specific sales, I could see that Paypal DID collect taxes on the ones I'm being billed for from Discogs. So I was wrong, lol.

I am also just weeding out my collection. It's been a nice diversion while stuck at home. I made enough so far to upgrade to the Marantz CD6006. I'm excited, lol.

Thats awesome, you are doing better than me. I bought more Vinyl. Mostly killed the balance with all these pre-orders from RSD.

I got a CD today on the Impresario label.
Whomever created the entry on Discogs spelled it wrong.
Anyone want to fix the spelling?

Label page Impressario

See also the Forced Exposure site https://www.forcedexposure.com/Labels/IMPRESARIO.UK.html
and his own site https://www.headheritage.co.uk/julian_cope/discography/lovepeacefuck/

Whats the actual CD link. It looks like there are three Impresario's listed and one is the mispelling. It would make more sense to change the CD entry.

Discogs doesnt seem to let you change a labels name, just descriptive info.

There are 7 entries under the label page. Seems like a different label based on the other releases there.

There are 7 entries under the label page. Seems like a different label based on the other releases there.

Found and fixed all the entries i could find.

Thanks, I am willing to change others, as long as it's the correct Impresario label.
It's too bad there's no label info on those pages.

I see Julian's company page has info but no reference to Impresario.

Appreciate the assist.

Thanks, I am willing to change others, as long as it's the correct Impresario label.
It's too bad there's no label info on those pages.

I see Julian's company page has info but no reference to Impresario.

Appreciate the assist.

No problem, the references I changed don't link back to the label page. I can dig into it later but i cant find that connection. maybe its smarter than me but ill play with it in a bit.

Edit for clarity: Meaning i didnt make any "links" between the two except changing the spelling on the CD/LP entry pages for that band.

Last edited:
Kind of a weird (possibly pointless) question, but I bought a copy of the Getz/Gilberto limited orange pressing off the udiscover site. The discogs release page says that the "exclusive retailer" is "The Sound of Vinyl". The Notes section also says "Limited pressing sold only through The Sound Of Vinyl."

It seems like sound of vinyl and udiscover are both owned/run by Universal, so I'm not sure that it's really a significant difference, but was wondering if I should post a comment about this.

Here's the link to the udiscover page for this release:Getz / Gilberto Limited Edition LP.

I'm not even sure what the solution here would be - maybe just removing both references to Sound of Vinyl entirely?

EDIT: sound of vinyl link: https://thesoundofvinyl.us/products/stan-getz-joao-gilberto-getz-gilberto-limited-edition

I don't see anything on the sound of vinyl page that indicates that they're an exclusive retailer for this release.

Kind of a weird (possibly pointless) question, but I bought a copy of the Getz/Gilberto limited orange pressing off the udiscover site. The discogs release page says that the "exclusive retailer" is "The Sound of Vinyl". The Notes section also says "Limited pressing sold only through The Sound Of Vinyl."

It seems like sound of vinyl and udiscover are both owned/run by Universal, so I'm not sure that it's really a significant difference, but was wondering if I should post a comment about this.

Here's the link to the udiscover page for this release:Getz / Gilberto Limited Edition LP.

I'm not even sure what the solution here would be - maybe just removing both references to Sound of Vinyl entirely?

EDIT: sound of vinyl link: https://thesoundofvinyl.us/products/stan-getz-joao-gilberto-getz-gilberto-limited-edition

I don't see anything on the sound of vinyl page that indicates that they're an exclusive retailer for this release.

I would mention that it is also available through a different website - one that is owed by the same parent company. If it is available outside of these 2, then I would say that it isn't exclusive.

I've been on Discogs plenty of times but I feel like I've never quite figured out the secret.
Obviously I know how to find what I am searching for, but I'm not sure how to meander through the site and just let things come to me like they would if you're just flipping through the bins at a record store.

For example I can walk into my local record shop. Head over to the $1 12" singles section and just start digging. An hour later I've got like 50 records, none of which I recognize and half of them are just blank white labels. Not all of them are bangers but most of them turn out to be pretty good Dance/House/Techno/Electronic. I'm looking to expand my horizons and really hoping for a big stack of late 90's early 00's club music. I really appreciate coming home from the record store with a pile of stuff I've never heard of before and taking the time to clean them all while I listen.

How do I emulate that experience on the website? I just want to snag a huge stack of cheap mystery records and play them all to find out if they're good. Sort of a daunting task when sellers either won't combine shipping or charge $5+ for each additional record in combined shipping.

I'm sure I'm just completely missing the point here. Maybe there's a better place to achieve what I want?

I've been on Discogs plenty of times but I feel like I've never quite figured out the secret.
Obviously I know how to find what I am searching for, but I'm not sure how to meander through the site and just let things come to me like they would if you're just flipping through the bins at a record store.

For example I can walk into my local record shop. Head over to the $1 12" singles section and just start digging. An hour later I've got like 50 records, none of which I recognize and half of them are just blank white labels. Not all of them are bangers but most of them turn out to be pretty good Dance/House/Techno/Electronic. I'm looking to expand my horizons and really hoping for a big stack of late 90's early 00's club music. I really appreciate coming home from the record store with a pile of stuff I've never heard of before and taking the time to clean them all while I listen.

How do I emulate that experience on the website? I just want to snag a huge stack of cheap mystery records and play them all to find out if they're good. Sort of a daunting task when sellers either won't combine shipping or charge $5+ for each additional record in combined shipping.

I'm sure I'm just completely missing the point here. Maybe there's a better place to achieve what I want?
I don’t know the answer to your question or if there even is one but I do know that I was looking at culling a bunch of late 90’s early 00’s House/Techno/Electronic records that would not be worth the trouble of listing and my local likely wouldn’t even take because it’s all obscure, vinyl only release kind of stuff. Stuff like Brennan Green or Swirl Peepz. I am at a point I don’t want to clean them and I won’t put an unclean record on my table. DM if you want to try to work something out. It’s essentially pre-curated so it likely won’t just suck. Maybe something like 50% the lowest cogs price and a combined shipping for 10-20 records. I can send you the cogs links if interested.

I don’t know the answer to your question or if there even is one but I do know that I was looking at culling a bunch of late 90’s early 00’s House/Techno/Electronic records that would not be worth the trouble of listing and my local likely wouldn’t even take because it’s all obscure, vinyl only release kind of stuff. Stuff like Brennan Green or Swirl Peepz. I am at a point I don’t want to clean them and I won’t put an unclean record on my table. DM if you want to try to work something out. It’s essentially pre-curated so it likely won’t just suck. Maybe something like 50% the lowest cogs price and a combined shipping for 10-20 records. I can send you the cogs links if interested.
Cool! DM'd

I'm not really sure what I'm asking either. I just know what I want and I'm not sure how to go about doing it online.

Cool! DM'd

I'm not really sure what I'm asking either. I just know what I want and I'm not sure how to go about doing it online.
I think Deb gave a great option!

if that still isn't fully scratching it, sometimes Craigslist or online estate sales have local listing of people that just want to get rid of their/their parents/their second cousin's friend's stuff- a lot or record stores will scoop the bigger buys in their area looking for treasure. maybe someone in your region has an old box sitting around they don't want to deal with and will give you your fix.

my local has been doing random auction grab bags of singles on their Instagram- if your stores are shut down right now but still active online, maybe reach out to them and see if they are interested in doing anything like that. they are missing our crate digging as much or more than we are, I'm sure.

I think Deb gave a great option!

if that still isn't fully scratching it, sometimes Craigslist or online estate sales have local listing of people that just want to get rid of their/their parents/their second cousin's friend's stuff- a lot or record stores will scoop the bigger buys in their area looking for treasure. maybe someone in your region has an old box sitting around they don't want to deal with and will give you your fix.

my local has been doing random auction grab bags of singles on their Instagram- if your stores are shut down right now but still active online, maybe reach out to them and see if they are interested in doing anything like that. they are missing our crate digging as much or more than we are, I'm sure.
Yeah I already took him up on it!
I didn't think to check instagram but craigslist and facebook marketplace are dry as a bone.
Estate sales around here tend to be "Grandma's collection of 500 military brass albums."

welcome to the forum. :)

Back