Definitive Audiophile pressings

anybody have the AP pressing of Hoodoo Man Blues? Worth picking up? Any other blues APs I should grab outside of Folk Singer? I have Freddie King - Gettin Ready but been digging more blues records lately.
Need that Chicago blues rsd comp?

Do you happen to remember when you ordered it? I think a repress was restocked somewhat recently so may have been an isolated incident or might be reason to worry if it was a more recent purchase! I was eyeing that one too before the AP prices go up. Might go for Night beat first though…
Was during early COVID, maybe early summer of 2020…

anybody have the AP pressing of Hoodoo Man Blues? Worth picking up? Any other blues APs I should grab outside of Folk Singer? I have Freddie King - Gettin Ready but been digging more blues records lately.
I just picked it up the other day. It’s great if your into gritty Electric Chicago Blues; Buddy Guy tears it up.

Yea--definitely digging the album. I might grab that and the Slim Harpo - The Original King Bee AP.
Okay, some good quality blues pressings that I own so I can attest to their goodness...

-VMP Big Bill Broonzy
-JLH and Canned Heat Hooker'n Heat Pure Pleasure
-Fred MacDowell I Do Not Play No Rock'n Roll Pure Pleasure
-Freddie King Texas Cannonball AP
-Country Blues of John Lee Hooker Craft
-Huddie Ledbetter His Guitar, His Voice His Piano Pure Pleasure
-Lightnin' Hopkins Soul Blues AP
-Lightnin' Hopkins Lightnin' In New York Pure Pleasure
-Skip James Today Pure Pleasure
-Son House Father Of The Delta Blues Pure Pleasure
-Sonny Boy Williamson Keep It To Ourselves AP
-JLH Serve You Right To Suffer AP
-Slim Harpo Original King Bee AP
-Slim Harpo Baby Scratch My Back recent reissue

Last edited:
Okay, good quality blues pressings...

-VMP Big Bill Broonzy
-JLH and Canned Heat Hooker'n Heat Pure Pleasure
-Fred MacDowell I Do Not Play No Rock'n Roll Pure Pleasure
-Freddie King Texas Cannonball AP
-Country Blues of John Lee Hooker Craft
-Huddie Ledbetter His Guitar, His Voice His Piano Pure Pleasure
-Lightnin' Hopkins Soul Blues AP
-Lightnin' Hopkins Lightnin' In New York Pure Pleasure
-Skip James Today Pure Pleasure
-Son House Father Of The Delta Blues Pure Pleasure
-Sonny Boy Williamson Keep It To Ourselves AP
-JLH Serve You Right To Suffer AP
-Slim Harpo Original King Bee AP
-Slim Harpo Baby Scratch My Back recent reissue
You can add the two JLH VMP exclusives, Travelin' and That's My Story. They're both stellar.

There is also an Original Blues Classics series, like the Original Jazz Classics. I've got some John Lee Hooker OBC releases that sound great for the price. Might be worth looking into if you don't wanna drop $50 an album.

EDIT: Link to the titles:

Yep. Amazing sound quality, and awesome essential music. Highly, highly recommended. Between that and the AP of It Serve You Right To Suffer, probably the two best sounding full band audiophile blues records out there for my money.

There is also an Original Blues Classics series, like the Original Jazz Classics. I've got some John Lee Hooker OBC releases that sound great for the price. Might be worth looking into if you don't wanna drop $50 an album.
Just noticed that and was wondering if it was related to OJC! Thanks. This might be the most sensible route for me.

Just noticed that and was wondering if it was related to OJC! Thanks. This might be the most sensible route for me.
Unfortunately lots of CDs and cassettes in the series. You'll likely wanna find the LPs pressed in the 80s because they'll likely be AAA and have not undergone any digital remastering. But don't quote me on that. I'm not terribly familiar with the series outside the JLH titles I own.

There is also an Original Rock Classics series, which I know nothing about, other than some CCR titles were released as ORCs.

Edit: Looks like it's all Creedence all day. Probably the only artist Fantasy on their roster!

I have three SRV's and they're all superb: Texas Flood 2x45, Soul to Soul 2x45 and In Step 33. The Ted Hawkins is great too.

I have three SRV's and they're all superb: Texas Flood 2x45, Soul to Soul 2x45 and In Step 33. The Ted Hawkins is great too. In non-blues, I'll vouch for the various Doors 2x45 (I have four) as well as Headhunters and Time Out (I have the 33) - those have been mentioned a lot around these parts. I also have three CCR's - I don't think Willy & The Poor Boy can sound better than this. The other AP's I have are Second Helping and Sonny Stitt Blows The Blues. I have had no issues with any AP frankly. Very consistently great across the board.
Awesome. I have a lot of AP pressings (I have Headhunters too, some Beach Boys, and lots of jazz titles). I've never been a huge SRV fan but I had heard the Ted Hawkins is awesome as well from someone else on here. Recently got the Steppenwolf Greatest Hits and Lynyrd Skynyrd (Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd). The Skynyrd is incredible.

I think I was secretly hoping that people would say that some of the AP blues stuff was just okay so I wouldn't buy it 😂 . should have known better!

Awesome. I have a lot of AP pressings (I have Headhunters too, some Beach Boys, and lots of jazz titles). I've never been a huge SRV fan but I had heard the Ted Hawkins is awesome as well from someone else on here. Recently got the Steppenwolf Greatest Hits and Lynyrd Skynyrd (Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd). The Skynyrd is incredible.

I think I was secretly hoping that people would say that some of the AP blues stuff was just okay so I wouldn't buy it 😂 . should have known better!

Haha... Seriously, AP has been great and consistent across the board for me. TBH, the biggest issue is the variety of what's available.

I'd love to get the AP CCR's I'm missing but that window's closed as the license is now elsewhere and they go for way too much. I'll probably get the Dusty Springfield if ever that comes back, but I do have a pretty good Rhino reissue of that.

I also know a lot of people vouch for the Cowboy Junkies AP if that's your thing. I like the songs but I think the record may be a little too sleepy for me to spin often. It should be around though - I know my local has it.

Back