Definitive Audiophile pressings

dansomeone

There is no way that anything can beat the AP 45. But do you want to spend the money, different question.
Agreed, the AP 45 is terrific. I will say my dad's '71 US pressing sounds really good too, but it's old and worn, hence the AP. I'd guess a NM og would cost twice what a new AP runs.
EDIT: just checked cogs, NM OGs are crazy expensive. Go with the AP

Last edited:

NathanRicaud

Currently spinning this, and it is great! I have listened to this album a gazillion times, but this is the first time I've owned a vinyl copy, and boy does it deliver. I thought I knew pretty much every musical detail of this record - every horn line, rhythmic pattern or background vocals -, yet I'm picking up new things in this listen, especially on the bass, which is absolutely killer.

I don't know how much interest this album will stir around here, but if anyone is vaguely into salsa or Latin music in general, this is a must grab!
Thank you so much for sharing this! I gave this album a listen earlier today and I am absolutely in love! This is my favourite album discovery in a while! I love it so much and that’s great to know this Craft Recordings reissue is an analog cut! I’m purchasing this as I know the pressing will sound fantastic like you said! Discogs reviews for the standard pressing are very good too! 😍😇🙏

NathanRicaud

Coltrane One Step seems to be back in stock?
This is an excellent pressing and album, and I’m delighted to own a copy! However, I missed out on that Yusef Lateef Eastern Sounds One Step small batch pressing, and really wish I was quick enough to grab a copy! That album is a masterpiece and I can’t imagine how outstanding the Craft One Step reissue sounds!!! 🏆

Anyone else have that Craft One Step Eastern Sounds pressing? I want to know how GOOD it sounds! 🤤🤤🤤

MikeH

This is an excellent pressing and album, and I’m delighted to own a copy! However, I missed out on that Yusef Lateef Eastern Sounds One Step small batch pressing, and really wish I was quick enough to grab a copy! That album is a masterpiece and I can’t imagine how outstanding the Craft One Step reissue sounds!!! 🏆

Anyone else have that Craft One Step Eastern Sounds pressing? I want to know how GOOD it sounds! 🤤🤤🤤
It’s really great sounding too. I think better than the Coltrane One Step. It’s also better than my VMP pressing of it. Such a great album. Really curious to see what the next title will be!

Selaws

Yeah, I agree with @MikeH that it's a fantastic pressing, I really like the series so far.

On a side note, you guys might remember that I was able to 'announce' the Coltrane here before the official announcement as a friend of a friend who works at the distribution warehouse saw it early. I have messaged them to see if there are any updates as to what the next one will be and if not then hopefully they will let me know once they find out. I can only imagine they have the next one lined up alreadt as Craft did say a while back that they won't be reissuing Lateef or Coltrane for a while as the next batch was already in production.

NathanRicaud

It’s really great sounding too. I think better than the Coltrane One Step. It’s also better than my VMP pressing of it. Such a great album. Really curious to see what the next title will be!
Omg, I want it so bad! Of course it would be better sounding than the VMP pressing! I’ve got that pressing but I’d love to upgrade to the One Step pressing! Discogs prices are so high, so I guess I’ve just missed out! I’ll be keeping my eye on this thread to make sure I see what the next Craft One Step is! The two titles they released for their One Step small batch series so far have been excellent picks! 🎯

Last edited:

MikeH

Omg, I want it so bad! Of course it would be better sounding then the VMP pressing! I’ve got that pressing but I’d love to upgrade to the One Step pressing! Discogs prices are so high, so I guess I’ve just missed out! I’ll be keeping my eye on this thread to make sure I see what the next Craft One Step is! The two titles they released for their One Step small batch series so far have been excellent picks! 🎯
Luckily they have said the next title will have more pressed so hopefully won’t sell out as quickly as Lateef did!

Oldwhitelincoln11

I missed out on this. Hopefully they’ll press a few more.

agutierrezb

Thank you so much for sharing this! I gave this album a listen earlier today and I am absolutely in love! This is my favourite album discovery in a while! I love it so much and that’s great to know this Craft Recordings reissue is an analog cut! I’m purchasing this as I know the pressing will sound fantastic like you said! Discogs reviews for the standard pressing are very good too! 😍😇🙏
So glad you enjoy it. I know you'll love the Craft pressing too! This is arguably the most "essential" salsa album ever, and it contains an absolute classic of a song in "Pedro Navaja". I don't know how much of it will actually be conveyed in a translation, but the narrative on the lyrics is on par with pretty much anything Dylan has ever written, and IMO the orchestration on that track is some of the closest Latin music has come to Duke Ellington. I'm just so glad that this classic has got a great vinyl reissue now!

JohnnyCashFan

There is no way that anything can beat the AP 45. But do you want to spend the money, different question.
Agreed, the AP 45 is terrific. I will say my dad's '71 US pressing sounds really good too, but it's old and worn, hence the AP. I'd guess a NM og would cost twice what a new AP runs.
EDIT: just checked cogs, NM OGs are crazy expensive. Go with the AP
$50 does not bother me for the best, of a album I cherish just getting up every 10-13 minutes to changes sides and the flow of the album! :giggle:

Turbo

I was just listening to my Canadian 1983 pressing of REM's Murmur and I'm reminded at how great it sounds. The pressing is still quiet after all these years and the dynamics are fantastic.

Anyone looking for a great sounding copy of this at a decent price should consider looking into this pressing. As a bonus, they were packed in an IRS branded rice paper inner so getting a clean copy may not be as hard a task as other records.

This is the copy I have:

Mather

I just wanted to pop in here and say that I'm having a crisis of confidence regarding audiophile pressings... Here's the thing, with these new speakers, all my worst pressings mostly sound very good, in some cases very very good. I know that these pressings are hot garbage, like Mondo Fight Club, and Titanic Rising, but... you guys... they sound really good now and I realize that I can no longer tell what an audiophile pressing sounds like. It's not a BAD problem per se... But it's messing with me. TITANIC RISING SOUNDS REALLY GOOD NOW AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE

jamieanderson1968

I was just listening to my Canadian 1983 pressing of REM's Murmur and I'm reminded at how great it sounds. The pressing is still quiet after all these years and the dynamics are fantastic.

Anyone looking for a great sounding copy of this at a decent price should consider looking into this pressing. As a bonus, they were packed in an IRS branded rice paper inner so getting a clean copy may not be as hard a task as other records.

This is the copy I have:

Dear Turbo

I can no longer hang out with you as you keep spending my money.

Good bye

Turbo

Notwithstanding the above (i.e. don't let jamie see this), here's a pic of the record in the original inner. I completely forgot it was packed this way until I just took it out. Sticks out at the top a bit on one side, which is not ideal, but the mere fact they used this likely more than makes up for it. Nice to see some North American manufacturers understood how to store records. Was this the norm for I.R.S. for the time period?

IMG_1794.JPG

tvham

Notwithstanding the above (i.e. don't let jamie see this), here's a pic of the record in the original inner. I completely forgot it was packed this way until I just took it out. Sticks out at the top a bit on one side, which is not ideal, but the mere fact they used this likely more than makes up for it. Nice to see some North American manufacturers understood how to store records. Was this the norm for I.R.S. for the time period?

View attachment 112137
My copy of Reckoning came with a printer inner (on the right in above pic) but now you made me realize that I don’t have a copy of Murmur and need this. So thanks?

070C3BCC-3D89-4DE4-9800-E5C51B2D370B.jpeg