Definitive Audiophile pressings

tvham

I was just listening to my Canadian 1983 pressing of REM's Murmur and I'm reminded at how great it sounds. The pressing is still quiet after all these years and the dynamics are fantastic.

Anyone looking for a great sounding copy of this at a decent price should consider looking into this pressing. As a bonus, they were packed in an IRS branded rice paper inner so getting a clean copy may not be as hard a task as other records.

This is the copy I have:

Also, is your copy translucent brown/purple when held up to the light?

MikeH

I know, I know... and I did order a US Reckoning on Quiex vinyl last night. The consequences are real and fast. Like pissing against the wind sometimes.
Just realized that my copy of Reckoning is on Quiex! I have this one. I have a first pressing of Document 5 too but that one's just regular ol wax. and I have the moFi of Murmur. Didn't really realize I had so many of their albums until I started finally finishing unpacking the last of my records! Listening to Reckoning now and it does sound fantastic.

Turbo

Just realized that my copy of Reckoning is on Quiex! I have this one. I have a first pressing of Document 5 too but that one's just regular ol wax. and I have the moFi of Murmur. Didn't really realize I had so many of their albums until I started finally finishing unpacking the last of my records! Listening to Reckoning now and it does sound fantastic.

I found a repress on Quiex with the shrink still partially on last night. Fingers crossed that the vinyl is NM- too as advertised (the seller seemed to have a lot of great feedback, so I'm hopeful).

TenderLovingKiller®

I found a repress on Quiex with the shrink still partially on last night. Fingers crossed that the vinyl is NM- too as advertised (the seller seemed to have a lot of great feedback, so I'm hopeful).
I have OG Quiex pressings of both Murmur and Reckoning I picked them both up directly from my local for around $10 each six or seven years ago. My copy of Reckoning was still the original shrink with its hype sticker. I was able to remove the hype and save it.
5D7909EF-1D8F-443B-A803-376CB9379F1C.jpeg

Mather

Do any of y'all have the Best of Sam Cooke AP 45? I used to own the Analog Spark KPG Live at the Harlem Club but it was so shrill that I couldn't listen to it, sold it a while back. Still feel like I should have some of his stuff, I think this AP is possibly digital? Not sure...

VMPKJ

Do any of y'all have the Best of Sam Cooke AP 45? I used to own the Analog Spark KPG Live at the Harlem Club but it was so shrill that I couldn't listen to it, sold it a while back. Still feel like I should have some of his stuff, I think this AP is possibly digital? Not sure...
I have it. Sounds great

Poly-Rythmo

I just got a Japanese pressing of Ain't That Good News off Cogs from Japan and that sounds really nice #justsaying

Last edited:

Andy

I just wanted to pop in here and say that I'm having a crisis of confidence regarding audiophile pressings... Here's the thing, with these new speakers, all my worst pressings mostly sound very good, in some cases very very good. I know that these pressings are hot garbage, like Mondo Fight Club, and Titanic Rising, but... you guys... they sound really good now and I realize that I can no longer tell what an audiophile pressing sounds like. It's not a BAD problem per se... But it's messing with me. TITANIC RISING SOUNDS REALLY GOOD NOW AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE

But how do the Audiophile pressings sound?

markmck79

It is digital (cut from DSD) and my copy had a roller coaster edge warp and was noisy AF. After two replacement attempts AS gave up and just refunded me. Nightbeat, on the other hand, sounds amazing.