Definitive Audiophile pressings

I've seen some of those videos and I think the difference with the ERC video he's done is that there are obvious physical issues that cant be disputed. There's clearly poor packing practises being used here, but more solid of the issue is the bubbles in the vinyl itself. There is no way that should have passed quality control especially considering the low number pressed and the high price.
Yea--it's pretty mental. And part of why I like Sam Records so much...he visually inspects every disc before it ships (or maybe at least Fred used to). I've never had an issue and they charge nowhere near $450. I was tempted to get that Byrd record he put out because I know that his attention to detail is awesome...but it was too rich for my blood!

Yea--it's pretty mental. And part of why I like Sam Records so much...he visually inspects every disc before it ships (or maybe at least Fred used to). I've never had an issue and they charge nowhere near $450. I was tempted to get that Byrd record he put out because I know that his attention to detail is awesome...but it was too rich for my blood!
I was literally going to use Sam Records as an example of how to do it right. I didnt get the Byrd to comment on the audio, but as you said Fred checks each record before its shipped out. If he can do that as a one-man operation whilst pressing more, im pretty sure ERC should be able to.

I was literally going to use Sam Records as an example of how to do it right. I didnt get the Byrd to comment on the audio, but as you said Fred checks each record before its shipped out. If he can do that as a one-man operation whilst pressing more, im pretty sure ERC should be able to.
The other red flag with ERC was that "true Mono" Love record. When their photos said stereo on the tapes they used to promote the pressing haha.

I've seen some of those videos and I think the difference with the ERC video he's done is that there are obvious physical issues that cant be disputed. There's clearly poor packing practises being used here, but more solid of the issue is the bubbles in the vinyl itself. There is no way that should have passed quality control especially considering the low number pressed and the high price.
yeah, I've spent $50 from Acoustic Sounds and my record was packed like a tank. The fact that the packaging is so poor on these is a good indication that maybe they don't care that much about quality control across the board.

In almost any manufacturing process the cost of the tools and materials pales into insignificance when compared to the cost of the lump of flesh doing the work. The more antiquated and bespoke the more skilled the operator, so the higher the salary, and the the longer it takes to do a piece. That tends to make the cost of each piece higher. Not saying it’s worth it or that it’s even that much extra but it will be a significant extra cost.
Let's just say you are a lot more tusting that there is no (or less) "collectors item, we can charge what we want" baked into that price than I am and leave it at that. I'd be very interested to see some objective evidence that proves otherwise though.

a lot of people in jazz vinyl community hate him because he dares speak ill of Music Matters. He had a pretty scathing review of them and their sales practices and MM fandom is pretty crazy.
Really? I've just seen him casually mention them dismissively and that he doesn't like their mastering choices at all compared to the original. I guess he's like the bizarro Hoffman, who has criticized RVG a good bit. That might have been before they started the SRX limited drops though, did the scathing review have something to do with that, or did I just not see the original review that he was alluding to more casually in the videos I've seen. I respect him for speaking his mind on that too even though I like my MMs.

Let's just say you are a lot more tusting that there is no (or less) "collectors item, we can charge what we want" baked into that price than I am and leave it at that. I'd be very interested to see some objective evidence that proves otherwise though.

Or let’s just say that I think both of those things are baked into that price but equally don’t really care because I’m never going to consider paying it. Certain things do cost more to do even if the benefits are debatable and its just an excuse to charge more again than that costs extra. Labour is always the most expensive cost in pretty much any manufacturing process though and that cost rises as the skill level and process time increases, that’s pretty indisputable.

a lot of people in jazz vinyl community hate him because he dares speak ill of Music Matters. He had a pretty scathing review of them and their sales practices and MM fandom is pretty crazy.
i thought he said the music matters records sounded absolutely amazing and stuff and he just wished they were cheaper and easier to obtain since we need high quality versions of these albums available for the masses to get into jazz and audiophile vinyl

are you thinking of ken micallef?

Or let’s just say that I think both of those things are baked into that price but equally don’t really care because I’m never going to consider paying it. Certain things do cost more to do even if the benefits are debatable and its just an excuse to charge more again than that costs extra. Labour is always the most expensive cost in pretty much any manufacturing process though and that cost rises as the skill level and process time increases, that’s pretty indisputable.
Do you have any reason to believe that their mastering/cutting process takes longer or a higher skill level than anywhere else? As I said, I'd be very interested to read about that. Or are you just referring to the printing process?

I am familiar with manufacturing and labor costs. I just have yet to be convinced that theirs should be higher (for mastering) other than their up front costs for restoration of their 50s equipment. Maybe I haven't looked in the right places.

Last edited:
i thought he said the music matters records sounded absolutely amazing and stuff and he just wished they were cheaper and easier to obtain since we need high quality versions of these albums available for the masses to get into jazz and audiophile vinyl

Oh that's who I thought they were talking about. Isn't he the guy that runs the Jazz Vinyl FB group?

There is definitely a video where he discusses their questionable business practices in a no-holding back way. I have never bought MM release and watched his video out of interest, but he really goes in on them. He states that he was an early subscriber and would pick up every release with no questions. But over time it sounds like they purposely limit and hold back stock to drive the price and demand up. It reminds me of RSD, with stock being so low that people just jump on hoping to get what they want, paying whatever is asked, and then seeing the same items on Discogs minutes later. Really interesting video, especially considering that its from a record store perspective.

There is definitely a video where he discusses their questionable business practices in a no-holding back way. I have never bought MM release and watched his video out of interest, but he really goes in on them. He states that he was an early subscriber and would pick up every release with no questions. But over time it sounds like they purposely limit and hold back stock to drive the price and demand up. It reminds me of RSD, with stock being so low that people just jump on hoping to get what they want, paying whatever is asked, and then seeing the same items on Discogs minutes later. Really interesting video, especially considering that its from a record store perspective.

@duke86fan this is the vid I was thinking of. He likes the quality a lot but hates their business practices.

i was mostly confused because of specifically the fact he praised the sound quality and @dhodo was confusing me with the bizarro hoffman thing
Sorry, don't mind me! I'm confused that anyone would be upset at him for only attacking their business practices when they did what they did in front of everyone in a very messy way. Not sure how you can defend that other than what people said on sh.tv back then which was "boo hoo, you should have gotten them all earlier like I did" haha.

Do you know what! I’ve just realised I don’t care. I really don’t care. I’m getting into increasingly detailed arguments about minutiae that’s irrelevant to me. I actually don’t give a hoot who the engineer is or what the process is or what I have to squint under a bright light to see in the dead wax. I just want to listen to a record and go “wow I love this music that sounds amazing”. I need to remember that more. Goodbye and good luck, contact me if Mofi or AP press something that isn’t boring and predictable.

Can someone help with a recommendation for a top quality Harvest Moon?
I think your only options are the original EU press which is a MASTERDISK cut or the recent reissue which is Chris Bellman cut but pressed at Record Industry and I have heard some have defects, as is common these days, but otherwise has been generally well received. Sorry if that isn't any help as I can't comment personally on sound. I need to pick one up!

how much does acoustic sounds charge for international shipping? I ordered 3 CCR records from them a few years ago but I don't remember if it was expensive... all I recall is that I had to pay the fedex duty LOL. (I'd like to get a few of their The Doors Lps eventually but I haven't been able to find any Canadian sources over the last few months - maybe I'll break down and order direct over the holidays)

Back