Definitive Audiophile pressings

I was hoping to see discussion on this video. I vaguely know of this label and now I’m curious what the best case scenario looks like with these shipping practices and quality control. Like are there rich people forums where they’re talking about how they had to get back at customer service to send out the fifth record sleeve because the last few came in damaged? Is the best case scenario delivery of one of these a god-tier release?

how much does acoustic sounds charge for international shipping? I ordered 3 CCR records from them a few years ago but I don't remember if it was expensive... all I recall is that I had to pay the fedex duty LOL. (I'd like to get a few of their The Doors Lps eventually but I haven't been able to find any Canadian sources over the last few months - maybe I'll break down and order direct over the holidays)
@Mather might know the answer to this?

I was hoping to see discussion on this video. I vaguely know of this label and now I’m curious what the best case scenario looks like with these shipping practices and quality control. Like are there rich people forums where they’re talking about how they had to get back at customer service to send out the fifth record sleeve because the last few came in damaged? Is the best case scenario delivery of one of these a god-tier release?
No record is worth $450 IMO. The MoFi One Steps and the Radiohead In Rainbows disc box are the most I have spent on a double LP album and the Dylan One Step and Radiohead both sound incredible. By far my best sounding records. That’s definitely the upper limit of what I have and what I would pay though...

Used Christmas as an excuse to upgrade my A Love Supreme to the Acoustic Sounds copy. This is better than my other copy in every way. The hard panning is a little disconcerting though.
I’m curious to compare the other copies I have. Haven’t had a chance to sit down with them all yet! I have an early mono and an early stereo pressing of it as well but was curious about the AS so I picked up a copy. I know a few people who returned their AS copies when they learned about the panning. Not sure why they panned it...

@Mather might know the answer to this?
It's a lot. They charge like 30ish USD to ship THEN you have to pay duty and brokerage fees. It's cheaper to just order them from any store in Canada and get it shipped. Unless you can get one of the 15% off deals then it's closer. I think @TCell orders from them more frequently, I've only done it once.

I think your only options are the original EU press which is a MASTERDISK cut or the recent reissue which is Chris Bellman cut but pressed at Record Industry and I have heard some have defects, as is common these days, but otherwise has been generally well received. Sorry if that isn't any help as I can't comment personally on sound. I need to pick one up!
@Tys1 The Bellman was cut from digital sources (Mastered from 44/16 digital) but that was the first time Harvest Moon was released in the US on vinyl. I haven't heard either that or the EU original but kind of a bummer it's only a digital release, so I have just stuck to streaming for it.

I’m curious to compare the other copies I have. Haven’t had a chance to sit down with them all yet! I have an early mono and an early stereo pressing of it as well but was curious about the AS so I picked up a copy. I know a few people who returned their AS copies when they learned about the panning. Not sure why they panned it...
Isn't that typical of stereo jazz releases of the time?

@Tys1 The Bellman was cut from digital sources (Mastered from 44/16 digital) but that was the first time Harvest Moon was released in the US on vinyl. I haven't heard either that or the EU original but kind of a bummer it's only a digital release, so I have just stuck to streaming for it.
Was that an analog recording? No idea either way. You never know in the 90s, but not sure if neil ever went digital. I tried to find a comparison of the two but don't want to dig through the huge threads at hoffman.

Probably because the original stereo was panned. I don’t hate it, it gives you a feeling for the room. It was just like whoa...

Probably because the original stereo was panned. I don’t hate it, it gives you a feeling for the room. It was just like whoa...
Oh yeah I mean panning is the recording and mix, right, not the master? I thought @MikeH meant he didn't know why they recorded it that way.

Last edited:
Early stereo RVG is all heavy panned.
Right--but I do not believe that the Speakers Corner/KG pressings of this are hard panned while this one I believe is 100% hard panned with Coltrane 100% in one channel and Elvin 100% in the other. Just curious why RKS chose to hard pan it while KG didn't. I know that the early stereos are panned but I'd have to go back and relisten to my early stereo copy to see if it's 100% hard panned or mostly hard-panned.

Right--but I do not believe that the Speakers Corner/KG pressings of this are hard panned while this one I believe is 100% hard panned with Coltrane 100% in one channel and Elvin 100% in the other. Just curious why RKS chose to hard pan it while KG didn't. I know that the early stereos are panned but I'd have to go back and relisten to my early stereo copy to see if it's 100% hard panned or mostly hard-panned.
Hmm. Hard to see how you can change panning without remixing. There are only two channels, right? Unless you fold it.

It's a lot. They charge like 30ish USD to ship THEN you have to pay duty and brokerage fees. It's cheaper to just order them from any store in Canada and get it shipped. Unless you can get one of the 15% off deals then it's closer. I think @TCell orders from them more frequently, I've only done it once.

I've done it the once as well, a while back, and like I said all I remember is the duty.

More to the point: do you know if any Canadian retailer currently has their The Doors Analogue Productions? In particular LA Woman and S/T, possibly Morrison Hotel too. I've looked at the usual suspects, but I may have missed something.

Hmm. Hard to see how you can change panning without remixing. There are only two channels, right? Unless you fold it.
I don't know all the specifics as it has been a minute since I looked into it. But I remember reading that when I was debating going for the KG cut vs the AS reissue. I know people who have the KG cut and said it's not as hard-panned as the AS version (still panned but Coltrane and Elvin are more like 80/20 on each channel instead of hard panned.)

Back