Definitive Audiophile pressings

450 DOLLARS FOR THIS?!

ERC have been releasing titles like this at the same price point for ages now. I honestly see it as snake oil. Im sure they sound great, but certainly not $450 great especially considering in a lot of cases you could by an original in fantastic condition and still have a ton of money left over.

ERC have been releasing titles like this at the same price point for ages now. I honestly see it as snake oil. Im sure they sound great, but certainly not $450 great especially considering in a lot of cases you could by an original in fantastic condition and still have a ton of money left over.

Yeah there really does become a point in price where you may argue that it’s exponentially better than the other to be worth it but it ceases to be worth it for me!

I had to justify the Blood on the tracks to myself at length before I bought it and it was quarter that price in and in the top 5 of my all timer list!

but still even if you are shipping from the UK... with 450 dollars for an authentically pressed in the style of old 1950s LP... you need to package it well enough to avoid bends

and at least use POLYLINED sleeves

Why don’t they just give you a copy of the master tape at that price point? :LOL:

Why don’t they just give you a copy of the master tape at that price point? :LOL:
Hahahaha!

A while ago I saw someone on one of the facebook jazz groups say that he has a full collection of the ERC releases to date. Dread to think how much he must have spent...

Hahahaha!

A while ago I saw someone on one of the facebook jazz groups say that he has a full collection of the ERC releases to date. Dread to think how much he must have spent...
Like I know I spend way more than I should on records but I can’t imagine having the money someone must have to continuously throw down $450 on a single record. Crazy.

its literally the cost of a studio tape quality reel to reel from the tape project (basically a real time converted version of the master tape).

the only reason its so expensive is they use incredibly old tube cutters, do the tipons by hand, and use a letterpress to write the backcover for all 300

Like I know I spend way more than I should on records but I can’t imagine having the money someone must have to continuously throw down $450 on a single record. Crazy.
Its also being hooked into buying every release regardless of what it is. There's a handful of labels where I feel comfortable getting all of their releases, but if one was to be sold that I didn't like or wasn't something I would play then there's no way I would fork over any amount for it.

one youtuber who praises ERC is claiming that mike only complained about them and said they were bad quality because he was a record store owner who couldn't sell them on his site

which i can easily call objection to as the fact that the store does sell older japanese vinyl pressings, and mike openly hates the sound of them

The only reason its so expensive is they use incredibly old tube cutters, do the tipons by hand, and use a letterpress to write the backcover for all 300
Because people will buy it.

This sold out, lol:

one youtuber who praises ERC is claiming that mike only complained about them and said they were bad quality because he was a record store owner who couldn't sell them on his site

which i can easily call objection to as the fact that the store does sell older japanese vinyl pressings, and mike openly hates the sound of them
I saw a similar argument yesterday on a Jazz FB group. People were saying he has interest in pushing things that cost the most, yet in every general jazz video he does he talks up BN80 as amazing and low-cost analog source records. Not sure why people have a problem with him, but I enjoy his stuff.

Because people will buy it.

This sold out, lol:

i mean yeah but i was referring to the manufacturing cost

i mean yeah but i was referring to the manufacturing cost
I mean running a tube cutter doesn't have a recurring manufacturing cost. Hard to believe it hasn't paid for itself by now. If people are into paying $300 for hand typeset and glued stuff that's cool, but I don't get it.

I mean running a tube cutter doesn't have a recurring manufacturing cost. Hard to believe it hasn't paid for itself by now. If people are into paying $300 for hand typeset and glued stuff that's cool, but I don't get it.

In almost any manufacturing process the cost of the tools and materials pales into insignificance when compared to the cost of the lump of flesh doing the work. The more antiquated and bespoke the more skilled the operator, so the higher the salary, and the the longer it takes to do a piece. That tends to make the cost of each piece higher. Not saying it’s worth it or that it’s even that much extra but it will be a significant extra cost.

the thing is...if you buy a $450 record, it takes a lot to say "wait...this sucks" instead of buying into the hype of "i got my $450 worth!". it's not all that different from the $100,000 turntable crowd. There's snake oil everywhere in hobbies like audio.

I saw a similar argument yesterday on a Jazz FB group. People were saying he has interest in pushing things that cost the most, yet in every general jazz video he does he talks up BN80 as amazing and low-cost analog source records. Not sure why people have a problem with him, but I enjoy his stuff.
a lot of people in jazz vinyl community hate him because he dares speak ill of Music Matters. He had a pretty scathing review of them and their sales practices and MM fandom is pretty crazy.

the thing is...if you buy a $450 record, it takes a lot to say "wait...this sucks" instead of buying into the hype of "i got my $450 worth!". it's not all that different from the $100,000 turntable crowd. There's snake oil everywhere in hobbies like audio.

There’s also rich people with money burning a hole in their pocket. Some things aren’t better or to be aspired to, they just belong to a different world. Now if you want to start talking about how to end that world, then I’m listening!

a lot of people in jazz vinyl community hate him because he dares speak ill of Music Matters. He had a pretty scathing review of them and their sales practices and MM fandom is pretty crazy.
I've seen some of those videos and I think the difference with the ERC video he's done is that there are obvious physical issues that cant be disputed. There's clearly poor packing practises being used here, but more solid of the issue is the bubbles in the vinyl itself. There is no way that should have passed quality control especially considering the low number pressed and the high price.

Back