Definitive Audiophile pressings

What's everyone's go-to for Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures.

I currently have this one which is decent on some tracks but really underwhelming on others, but I also picked it up for less than 9 bucks so I can't complain too much. Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures (2015, Textured Sleeve, 180g, Vinyl)

I do love this album, and would love to have a slightly more dynamic pressing.
I have this one, seems like the US version of what you posted. It is done by Rhino and works for me, my copy sounds great.

Couldn't agree more.

By the way I just checked the 40th anniversary red pressing - wtf. That has significantly jumped up in resale value.

Never expected the "reimagined" cover and colour choice to be that popular. It's an absolute abomination for me.

It supposedly was the original design concept put to the band by Peter Saville but it got reversed by the time it was finalised. They did it for that limited run as a sort of homage to that which I think is kinda nice. I do agree that the classic black looks better but cuz of the back story I feel it was justifiable. I got it and like how it sounds but I do also have an early pressing too although sadly not a “porkys prime cut”

Listened to my VMP pressing of Yusuf Lateef's Eastern Sounds and haven't convinced myself that I need the small batch upgrade. The VMP copy sounds great.
I did the same thing last week. It's honestly very very good. I don't think I need the upgrade... BUUUUT since I could SELL the VMP one for about $100... maybe.

It supposedly was the original design concept put to the band by Peter Saville but it got reversed by the time it was finalised. They did it for that limited run as a sort of homage to that which I think is kinda nice. I do agree that the classic black looks better but cuz of the back story I feel it was justifiable. I got it and like how it sounds but I do also have an early pressing too although sadly not a “porkys prime cut”

That's a nice story. Supposedly the band liked white but I'm with Saville on this one :

Saville reversed the image from black-on-white to white-on-black, against the band's stated preference for the original. "I was afraid it might look a little cheap. I was convinced that it was just sexier in black" since it represented a signal from space.

So on the topic of Joy Division - what about Closer? Anything half decent from the modern pressings?

Exact same story. Modern pressings were a bit thin on the ground before 2015 and they did the whole catalogue again. They also released Still and Substance too. The did a 40th anniversary of it last year on clear vinyl. Oddly I hate the idea of Joy Division on clear vinyl much more than the one off reversed cover for an anniversary pressing 😂

They also released 12” single versions of the three non album singles last year too.

Last edited:
@MikeH I just saw the shit show over on the Hoffman forum regarding the Yusef Lateef One Step.

That's the exact reason I stopped heading over there, people just assume they can demand information from you whilst being aggressively sceptical of everything you say. So much anger.

Back