Definitive Audiophile pressings

@Joe Mac since you were wondering about the Sticky Fingers MoFi sounding too “clean”, this is the sticker that got added to some of the MoFi pressings apparently haha

View attachment 92970

Goood! I hope there is still a nice layer of grime on it too! I guess that they had to ward against complaints from the old crusties back then too railing at all that nonsense that the kids listen to...

Last edited:
Goood! I hope there is still a nice layer of grime on it too! I guess that had to ward against complaints from the old crusties back then too railing at all that nonsense that the kids listen to...
haha yea apparently people actually called up MoFi to complain and get refunds when this one first came out.

I gotta say...for all the hate this MoFi pressing seems to get, I really enjoyed listening to it. I'll have to spin it again this weekend, but I cranked it up last night and thought it sounded great. Really awesome separation. I remember my recent reissue sounding really muddled and lifeless, and this had none of that. Reading the reviews of it on Hoffman, you'd think this was the worst pressing of an album ever. Could just be a pressing whose sound depends on your setup (I was listening on my backup setup that isn't super bass heavy and one of the complaints is about how thumping the bass is on this pressing). I also just don't have a reference point of what the album should sound like...some people seem to think that there might even be 2 different MoFi pressings because some people are so adamant that it sounds awful while other people really think it sounds great haha. So bizarre.

The guy who sold them to me included the original inserts from MoFi too, which are HILARIOUS.

IMG_2085.jpg

haha yea apparently people actually called up MoFi to complain and get refunds when this one first came out.

I gotta say...for all the hate this MoFi pressing seems to get, I really enjoyed listening to it. I'll have to spin it again this weekend, but I cranked it up last night and thought it sounded great. Really awesome separation. I remember my recent reissue sounding really muddled and lifeless, and this had none of that. Reading the reviews of it on Hoffman, you'd think this was the worst pressing of an album ever. Could just be a pressing whose sound depends on your setup (I was listening on my backup setup that isn't super bass heavy and one of the complaints is about how thumping the bass is on this pressing). I also just don't have a reference point of what the album should sound like...some people seem to think that there might even be 2 different MoFi pressings because some people are so adamant that it sounds awful while other people really think it sounds great haha. So bizarre.

The guy who sold them to me included the original inserts from MoFi too, which are HILARIOUS.

View attachment 92974

Its a difficult line. It should be a bit muddy and muddled because Jimmy Miller and the stones. Some recent issues are probably a bit too muddy but it’s a delicate balancing line because if you clean it up too much you really risk loosing its soul, it’s not audiophile music or an audiophile recording.

The Beatles are really much more suited to this kinda treatment given the festiousness of George Martin and Paul in particular in studio.

Here's an upcoming release from Craft. Not super familiar with this release but it's a Boom Boom AAA cut pressed at RTI. The song Afro Blue is pretty awesome--some of you may know it from the Glasper x Erykah Badu version.

Here's an upcoming release from Craft. Not super familiar with this release but it's a Boom Boom AAA cut pressed at RTI. The song Afro Blue is pretty awesome--some of you may know it from the Glasper x Erykah Badu version.

Thats a hell of a band. Kenny Dorham, Stanley Turrentine, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones, Philly Joe Jones AND Max Roach. Need to give this a listen asap.

I don't know why the link is populating the Sarah Jarosz language (it's right on the site) but I very briefly got excited some bizarre Jarosz release outta nowhere. Not to take anything away from this release, looks pretty dang sick and I agree, Afro Blue is pretty exceptional as an opening track.

Thats a hell of a band. Kenny Dorham, Stanley Turrentine, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones, Philly Joe Jones AND Max Roach. Need to give this a listen asap.
Yep. I think some diff players on different tracks but hot damn. Might have to grab this one. Streaming it now.

I’m not 100% familiar with work except for the Max Roach albums We Insist! and Percussion Bitter Suite. She’s stunning in We Insist though. I’ll pick it up.

I’m not 100% familiar with work except for the Max Roach albums We Insist! and Percussion Bitter Suite. She’s stunning in We Insist though. I’ll pick it up.
Ah that's where I have heard the name from! Was trying to remember because she sounded familiar. You're right--she's incredible on We Insist.

I preordered it a few weeks ago on a whim. Amazon.ca had it cheap and saw that it was a Craft reissue.

View attachment 92974
You know who will sell some audiophile records? Kenny MF'in Rogers, that's who.

What's everyone's go-to for Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures.

I currently have this one which is decent on some tracks but really underwhelming on others, but I also picked it up for less than 9 bucks so I can't complain too much. Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures (2015, Textured Sleeve, 180g, Vinyl)

I do love this album, and would love to have a slightly more dynamic pressing.

I currently have this one which is decent on some tracks but really underwhelming on others, but I also picked it up for less than 9 bucks so I can't complain too much. Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures (2015, Textured Sleeve, 180g, Vinyl)

Love my original Porky, but unfortunately like everything else lately, not a good affordable recommendation, though you may have more luck on that side of the pond.

Some people really love the '07 US Rhinos but some complain of bad (Rainbo) pressing issues. The new white cover one seems to be either the same or at least cut by the same person as the one you have. Unfortunately I haven't compared any so I can't help there.

I never got a first pressing of Closer and all I have is a 2nd press that unfortunately has some really weird distortion pressing defects on Side A, so I need to get a new pressing of that one.

This is the kind of music I wish would get more high quality, transparently communicated, mastering and pressing treatment than the same ol classic rock and jazz picks!

That is from my research and in my experience the best modern press. If you’re going for the best press then it seems to be one of the U.K. Factory OGs that is a “Porkys Prime Cut” that’s widely considered to be the best. They are super spendy though.

Love my original Porky, but unfortunately like everything else lately, not a good affordable recommendation, though you may have more luck on that side of the pond.

Some people really love the '07 US Rhinos but some complain of bad (Rainbo) pressing issues. The new white cover one seems to be either the same or at least cut by the same person as the one you have. Unfortunately I haven't compared any so I can't help there.

I never got a first pressing of Closer and all I have is a 2nd press that unfortunately has some really weird distortion pressing defects on Side A, so I need to get a new pressing of that one.

This is the kind of music I wish would get more high quality, transparently communicated, mastering and pressing treatment than the same ol classic rock and jazz picks!

Yeah from what I can gather the 40th anniversary is just the 2015 masters pressed on coloured wax with a reversed colour sleeve. For what they are I actually quite like the 2015 joy division remasters, they reward being cranked however.

Couldn't agree more.

By the way I just checked the 40th anniversary red pressing - wtf. That has significantly jumped up in resale value.

Never expected the "reimagined" cover and colour choice to be that popular. It's an absolute abomination for me.

Back