December 2020 Challenge Thread: Let's Go Out With A Bang (The return of the raffle!)

Day 28: Graffiti
Play a record with a cover that is signed, vandalized or spiced up in some way

Chapterhouse - Whirlpool

To my great shame, I don't have anything vinyl-related that has been signed on the jacket. I do have this CD, though, that I got used from a Santa Cruz record store for $7.

20201228_173215.jpg

Last edited:

I had a new reissue in my hands at my local store, but then saw this in the used bins for a few bucks more...seemed like a no-brainer to me to get this one.

Uncle Acid ‎– The Night Creeper
Rise Above Records ‎– RISELP199, 2015

Signed

Pressed at GZ

q6NiBG.jpg

PqIgUW.jpg

Day 29: Favorite album of 2020 - End of the year lists are out, play your favorite album from this year

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

It's not often that an album that was this hyped prior to release meets and even exceeds those expectations, but this album did that this year. I couldn't wait for this album to be released, and when it was, I couldn't stop listening to it. Non-stop disco pop jams from start to finish. This was at the top of my list almost the entire year, and only RTJ4 had a chance at knocking it from the top spot, but couldn't.

Day 29 - Favorite Album of 2020

Jeff Rosenstock "No Dream" (2020 Polyvinyl)

Working from home since March, I spent a lot more time than essentially ever listening to music and discovering new albums. If you can find a sliver of a silver lining for 2020, it's that a lot of really great new music was released. It was actually hard to choose a clear #1 when I put my year-end list together. I loved Caribou, Gorillaz, Jessie Ware, Yves Tumor, Rolling Blackout C.F. and The Weeknd, notably. I gave the edge to Jeff Rosenstock because the exuberant pop punk of "No Dream" was just what I needed to get through some of those dark 2020 days.

IMG_1183.JPG

Last edited:
Day 29: Favorite album of 2020
End of the year lists are out, play your favorite album from this year

Hum - Inlet

It's been a long time since I've done a year-end favorites list, and I did my top 50 of all time for the N&G Top 500 list, so I'm all listed out, and I'm not sure what my number one would be. But, if I were making a list for 2020, this one would be somewhere on it.

20201229_082609.jpg

Day 27: Production
Play an album with a great producer
Aesop Rock - Spirit World Field Guide
372DF17F-A050-4641-A563-837F94F608B6.jpeg
Aesop Rock has alway been an amazing lyricist and he has always had an ear for great beats, initially from the likes of El-P and Blockhead but over the past decade he has become a killer behind the boards. I first took notice when he released his Nike+ Run mix that was entirely instrumental and also my favorite of the series. Then, on his last two solo releases he handled all of the production work and IMO Impossible Kid and his most recent release, Spirit World Field Guide are two of his best albums and a big reason for this is his great production work.

Last edited:
Play a record with a cover that is signed, vandalized or spiced up in some way
The O’Jays - Message In The Music
D02C5EB6-5FD6-4455-A942-158D37F4A238.jpeg
I don’t actively seek out white label promos but if I come across one in good condition in the wild I am likely to purchase it. I only have a few but the ones I own all have the “Not For Sale” track list stickers on the album cover.

I don’t have any autographed album covers as that is not really my jam but I do have a few autographed books including this...
DB7DD2E5-AE21-4F55-A79F-07771CE66F6E.jpeg
485FCFFF-B42F-47D1-9B94-DCB715BF4F2A.jpeg
... this is a the first collection of Simon Hanselmann’s Megg & Mogg comic series. Simon is based out of Seattle and my local comic book guy is friendly with them, and they had a signed copy for sale and couldn’t resist as it is one of my favorite things. Everyone should check it out if they haven’t as it is phenomenal

Last edited:
Day 29: Favorite album of 2020
End of the year lists are out, play your favorite album from this year
Blake Mills - Mutable Set
0D732424-CF38-4E7F-8894-80E1618A8D5A.jpeg
I’ve loved this record since it’s release back in the Spring. It was the perfect contrast to this chaotic year. This album approaches each song with a measured, thoughtfulness that rewards a listener that is paying attention but is calming and delicate enough to pleasantly take up aural space when background music is all that is required.

Last edited:
Day 26: Boxing Day
Play a record gifted to you that you're thankful to own

Day 27: Production
Play an album with a great producer

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Into the Great Wide Open

DC5AD60A-3CE5-4F1A-BD92-9E4D331DCA74.jpeg

I bought this for more than half off a while back but my kids love giving me records as a gift so “they gave this to me” for Christmas. This record in particular could also serve as my entry for Great Producer, as Jeff Lynne had a certain distinct sound on everything he touched.

Back