December 2020 Challenge Thread: Let's Go Out With A Bang (The return of the raffle!)

Day 29 - Favorite album of 2020

Lots of great new releases this year (Fiona, Waxahatchee, Gia Margaret, Dogleg, Sturgill, Coriky, Freddie Gibbs, RTJ, etc, etc), but my actual favorite release of the year is this comp. Probably not hyperbole to say I’ll be listening to this one regularly for the rest of my life.

Spiritual Jazz XII - Impulse!

5F9368E1-576E-4E11-99D0-5F227B8ADE63.jpeg

Day 29: Favorite album of 2020
End of the year lists are out, play your favorite album from this year

Waxahatchee - St. Cloud

13A581C8-FFBF-4470-9FB0-76FBE40C75A8.jpeg

My most played album of the year, with Dua Lipa and Ruston Kelly following closely behind. Even the cover feels iconic. This album came out March 27th and the first time I listened to it, I was driving all over town trying to find toilet paper. I’ll never forget that.

Day 30: 5th Day of Kwanzaa - Nia: Purpose - Remembering and Restoring African and African American Cultures, Customs and History - Play something with ties to Africa or African American culture

Common - Be

Hip-Hop is a big part of African American culture and I feel like Common has always been at the forefront of lifting black people up and discussing one's purpose in life.

Day 29: Favorite album of 2020

Going with one from my top 10...I don't think anyone has this one on their list.

Carpenter Brut ‎– Blood Machines (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
No Quarter ‎– NQP-BM 666, 2020

Blue w/ Red marble variant

NPZjSf.jpg

eiisbi.jpg

Day 30: 5th Day of Kwanzaa

A 4 LP Box set from "The World Of Popular Music" series. This record set was to be used in a school setting to teach music from around the world. The music of various tribes and instruments from Africa along some contemporary soul, jazz, and blues excerpts.

Some tracks make a lot of sense - others not so much. I don't really know why a West Side Story track is on this.

Various ‎– Afro-American
Follett Publishing Company ‎– ALBUM XL 11, 1974

Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

ryhLSf.jpg

vkCmGL.jpg

RpFhZD.jpg

KZdzXo.jpg

Day 31: New Year's Eve

Got my Buffalo Trace last night...so I'm set.

Picked this as a random Discogs pick. When VMP picked this one as a ROTM it actually REALLY pissed me off. Sure the VMP is a better all around pressing/cut - but 2 months later? Come on guys...

It was my first time questioning if they actually knew what they were doing.

Beck ‎– Odelay
Bong Load Custom Records/Bong Load Records ‎– BL30, 1996/2016

Limited/Numbered to 2016, #355

Cut by Shelly Steffens at Chicago Mastering Service
Pressed at MRP

0CiBZc.jpg

Rc9UkP.jpg

4Iy1K1.jpg

Back