December 2020 Challenge Thread: Let's Go Out With A Bang (The return of the raffle!)

Day 26: Boxing Day

Late last year my dad went to a garage sale on the East Coast, and they had a bunch of Grateful Dead records among others. The guy said he had to buy the whole lot - somewhere around 100 records, so he did and then shipped them out to me as a Christmas present. While there was a lot of good stuff included, this one is the best of the bunch. And a gift that keeps on giving.

Grateful Dead ~ From the Mars Hotel

1609022330237.png

Day 24: Christmas Eve: Santa's Playlist

I think with this long roadtrip Santa's gonna be able to finally catch up on some albums he's been meaning to get to...

The Smashing Pumpkins ‎– Cyr
Sumerian Records/Martha's Music ‎– SUM1396, 2020

"Pink Haze" variant - limited to 2000

Cut by Carl Rowatti at Trutone Mastering Labs

rqWXHa.jpg

E21xkW.jpg

Play a record gifted to you that you're thankful to own

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.

This was a Secret Santa gift from @Skalap. Thanks again!

Also, I spent two years living in Argentina right when the Iraq war started, and yanqui is what they call Americans there, so the fact that right when this album came out I had random people in the street screaming at me, the nearest yanqui, every day for starting a war makes it all the more special. 😅

20201226_163550.jpg

Day 27: Production
Play an album with a great producer

One man understood the ever-evolving musical complexity of David Bowie and always delivered that vision in the production booth - Tony Visconti.

David Bowie - Scary Monsters

20201227_000251.jpg

Bonus play - Tony also produced this one you may know as well...

20201201_222535.jpg

Last edited:

The only record my wife has gifted me...She knew I didn't have it - and at the time - I wouldn't have bought it for myself since it was pretty expensive. (using old pics since I just woke up from napping and don't really feel like getting the thing out - it is a PITA) - I am listening to the Hi Rez audio from the USB, though.

Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross ‎– The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Null Corporation ‎– NULL 002, 2012

6LP Box Set and a USB drive contains the full album in high-fidelity 96k audio
Signed by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
Limited/Numbered to 3000, #560

Pressed at Rainbo

jZrQ7j.jpg

dQBnzp.jpg

Day 27: Production - Play an album with a great producer.

Jay-Z - The Blueprint

The production on this album is a big part of what makes it so great. Young up and coming producers (and now all time greats) Kanye West and Just Blaze broke through on this album and there are some great songs from well known producers Timbaland and Eminem as well. This is the first album that comes to mind when I think great production.

Day 27 - Producers

Shannon Shaw "Shannon In Nashville" (2018 Easy Eye Sound)

Dan Auerbach has been making a name for himself with capturing that vintage production sound. Pairing Shannon Shaw with veteran studio musicians that have played with the likes of Elvis, Aretha and Neil Diamond was inspired. Takes guts to riff your album title off of a classic like "Dusty in Memphis". But it's earned in my opinion. The album has that timeless pop quality and I've been coming back to it.

IMG_1180.JPG

Back