December 2020 Challenge Thread: Let's Go Out With A Bang (The return of the raffle!)

Had to come back and say thanks for bringing up this record. I hadn’t heard this before your post and have since played it numerous times each day. Just ordered it for about $12 from Fat Possum’s current sale.

I actually picked up a copy from Amazon too but unfortunately had to return it.... the album was in one of those "frustration-free" boxes and in shrink. The outer box was pristine, but the LP had 4 crushed corners, the sleeve half-unglued and one of the biggest pringles-type warp I've ever seen. Not sure what happened there. I sent it back and will look elsewhere for it.

I actually picked up a copy from Amazon too but unfortunately had to return it.... the album was in one of those "frustration-free" boxes and in shrink. The outer box was pristine, but the LP had 4 crushed corners, the sleeve half-unglued and one of the biggest pringles-type warp I've ever seen. Not sure what happened there. I sent it back and will look elsewhere for it.
30% off here!:

30% off here!:

Cheers - I gave that a shot. I added a few other records in the order so it worked out ok with shipping.

Day 24: Christmas Eve: Santa's Playlist

Boney M. - Christmas Album

I was fortunate this year, that although I wasn't able to see most of my family, my girlfriend and I quarantined for two weeks right before Christmas and went right up north to my parents' afterward, so the four of us were together. If not my favourite Christmas album ever, this is definitely number two and probably the one I've heard the most in my life. "Mary's Boy Child" and " Zion's Daughter" were the soundtrack to all of my childhood Christmases and, thankfully, still are. It's so joyous I don't know how Santa wouldn't love it.

I grabbed this and a few others of my dad's old records while we were up there, and funnily enough, I just heard a song I'd never heard before while spinning this. It seems it's been issued a few different times under various titles and with slightly different tracklistings. The one I'm most familiar with is "The Most Beautiful Christmas Songs of the World", which we must have gotten on CD when I was still pretty young. I'm very glad to have this with me for future Christmases.

PXL_20210101_201553830.jpg

Day 26: Boxing Day

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Pendulum

View attachment 81668

Part of the CCR Studio Albums box my parents gave me for my birthday just a few months ago, which I’m incredibly grateful to them for!

Congrats @Wicked Dreamer! I used a random number generator and this post made you the winner of the raffle! You win your choice of a N&G AoTM, or a Colemine Records (@Plaid Room / Colemine) album! I'll message you to work out the details. In the meantime, you can peruse your Colemine options here: Colemine Records - Record Label From Loveland, OH (but I think you're already aware of them because I've seen you in the Colemine thread haha)

Thanks again to everyone for participating, it was a lot of fun running this thread!

Edit: How fitting it was the Boxing Day theme about favorite gifts and you're in Canada!haha

Gonna try to finish this one still before heading over to January!

Day 26: Boxing Day

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Paper Mâché Dream Balloon

This was a Secret Santa gift from @DeadwaxDude when we did it a couple years ago with just the OG Toronto Weird Boys. Gizz as a whole is still taking its time to click for me but I do really dig this one.

PXL_20210104_191258022.jpg

Day 27: Production

Smog - Knock Knock

Guy named Jim O'Rourke, maybe you've heard of him. Really nice complement to Bill's sparse songwriting.

PXL_20210104_194859311.jpg

Day 28: Graffiti

Strand of Oaks - Leave Ruin

Don't think I knew this one would be signed when I preordered it, but it was a nice surprise. I think it's the only signed thing in my collection I didn't actually get signed myself at a show.

PXL_20210104_203331243.jpg

Congrats @Wicked Dreamer! I used a random number generator and this post made you the winner of the raffle! You win your choice of a N&G AoTM, or a Colemine Records (@Plaid Room / Colemine) album! I'll message you to work out the details. In the meantime, you can peruse your Colemine options here: Colemine Records - Record Label From Loveland, OH (but I think you're already aware of them because I've seen you in the Colemine thread haha)

Thanks again to everyone for participating, it was a lot of fun running this thread!

Edit: How fitting it was the Boxing Day theme about favorite gifts and you're in Canada!haha
YAAAAAAYYYY!!! Thank you!

Day 29: Favourite album of 2020

Neil Young - Homegrown

I didn't buy much vinyl in 2020 -- less than 10 records -- but when I heard this one might be limited I had to grab it. Not my #1 of the year, but pretty close.

PXL_20210105_234040040.jpg

Day 30: 5th day of Kwanzaa

Ofege - Try and Love

Really dig the sound of this record. Wish I could go back in time and get them a nice fuzz pedal, though.

PXL_20210106_220928682.jpg

Day 31: NYE

Oneness of Juju - African Rhythms

Was keen to get the fuck out of 2020 and just vibe for a while.

*One week later*

Ah, fuck.

PXL_20210106_234013360.jpg

Back