December 2020 Challenge Thread: Let's Go Out With A Bang (The return of the raffle!)

RowBearToe

Hey everyone!

Welcome to the December challenge thread! I know many people can't wait for 2020 to end, but let's take some time to live in the moment and appreciate things this holiday season. It's the most wonderful time of the year, and December 2020 only happens once, so let's enjoy it! I know things are hectic around this time of year, but I'm hoping we can still get a lot of people to participate as that just adds to the fun! The more the merrier!

Seeing as it's the season of giving (and as an incentive to keep the thread active), I'm going to bring back the raffle. At the end of the month I'm going to raffle off your choice of an N&G AoTM or Colemine Records release (@Plaid Room / Colemine) to one lucky winner, so you're going to want to post everyday to increase your chances at winning!

The rules:
-Try to post something that hasn't been posted yet for that day (or before)
-Feel free to play catch up if you fall behind (I'm especially expecting it'll be needed this month)
-Themes aren't strict and are open to interpretation, have fun with it
-Say as little or as much as you want about your selection
-Have fun!

The themes:

Day 1: N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time Submission Due Date
Play one of your all time favorite albums (and submit your list to @Woob_woob!)

Day 2: Finally!
Play something that was in your wantlist for a long time

Day 3: Ozzy's 72nd Birthday
Damn he's getting old haha, play something from The Prince of Darkness or the oldest album in your collection

Day 4: Concept Album
Play a concept album

Day 5: Bathtub Party Day (apparently it's a real thing haha)
Spin a party album!

Day 6: Most Interesting Color Variant
Show us those crazy color variants

Day 7: Cool Story, Bro
Whether it's the story behind the album or music itself, or you getting the record or into the musician. Just give us a cool story!

Day 8: Strangs
What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle? A fiddle has straaanngs. Play something with a string section.

Day 9: Most Valuable
Play your most valuable record, cost-wise or valuable to you personally

Day 10: First Day of Hanukkah
Post a record that has Jewish ties

Day 11: The Total Package
Favorite packaging for an album

Day 12: Wildcard
Pick your own theme for today and explain why

Day 13: Soul Sunday!
Kick back and relax to some of that sweet sweet soul music

Day 14: Decisions, Decisions
If you could only keep one...

Day 15: National Lemon Cupcake Day
Play a yellow record (open to interpretation: jacket, record, synesthesia, feeling)

Day 16: The First Cut Is The Deepest
The first album you added to your collection; the one that started it all

Day 17: Sophomore Slump
Play a sophomore album that defied or followed the stereotype

Day 18: Ladies Night!
Play an album from a female artist

Day 19: Favorite N&G Discovery
Play an N&G AoTM or something else you discovered through this forum

Day 20: Covers!
Play an album with a great cover song or great cover art or that you want to put on when staying under the covers on a lazy Sunday morning

Day 21: Winter Solstice
Play a record that epitomizes winter

Day 22: White Christmas
Play a white album (open to interpretation: jacket, record, synesthesia, feeling)

Day 23: Festivus!
Play an album that doesn't give a shit and tells it like it is

Day 24: Christmas Eve: Santa's Playlist
Play something you think Santa would listen to while delivering presents

Day 25: Merry Christmas!
Play your favorite Christmas album

Day 26: Boxing Day
Play a record gifted to you that you're thankful to own

Day 27: Production
Play an album with a great producer

Day 28: Graffiti
Play a record with a cover that is signed, vandalized or spiced up in some way

Day 29: Favorite album of 2020
End of the year lists are out, play your favorite album from this year

Day 30: 5th Day of Kwanzaa - Nia: Purpose - Remembering and Restoring African and African American Cultures, Customs and History
Play something with ties to Africa or African American culture

Day 31: New Year's Eve
Play a record that's perfect for an NYE celebration

Thanks for the plug! Voting has been extended to Sunday, so everyone get your votes in!

I took a month off, but...

tenor.gif

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

When I first listened to this album in its entirety I thought it was a Greatest Hits album. I did not, until my adult listening and buying years, know that this was just an album they put out. I had heard so many of the songs on the radio and the ones I hadn't heard were good enough to be Top 40 hits. It still amazes me now how brilliant this album is. For your viewing pleasure is a beat up, old, noisy copy from the parents of a friend. Even has their last name written on the label and back sleeve for that complete "been sitting in the basement collection for decades" feel.

and if you don't love me now, you will never love me again
IMG_1112[2399].JPGIMG_1113[2401].JPG

Joanna Newsom - Ys

Over the last week or so I've tried to play as many of my top 50 or so albums as I have on vinyl, and streaming those I don't, to try to figure out exactly where they belong on the list. I got almost through to the top on Sunday evening, but not quite. (Thanks for the extension, @Woob_woob!)

This masterpiece will appear near the very top of my list.

PXL_20201201_152245659.jpg

Day 1: N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time Submission Due Date - Play one of your all time favorite albums (and submit your list to Woob_woob!)

B.B. King - Live at the Regal

This is number two on my all time favorite albums list. The energy from this show is immediately noticeable, present throughout, and unparalleled. You can just tell that this was one of those shows where the stars aligned and everyone was at the top of their game and feeling it. From B.B. and the crowd, to the band and Lucille, the energy is just amazing. Would've loved to have been there, or to have seen B.B. live at any point in time.

20201201_114713.jpg

Back