Cute Animal Thread

Teddy Beast in one of his (rare) calm moments. Classical music really does calm the savage beast.

We’ve not had a puppy for 13 years. Puppies suck. Dogs are awesome. Morning Teddy is wonderful. Evening Teddy wants me to take up heroin. Just for fun.

He will be a great dog. We just need to get there.

View attachment 41016
How have you managed to say something so controversial yet so true. We’ve had our pup for 5 days and that heroin sounds mighty fine. I need a Puppies Anonymous support group.

Apologies for interrupting your regularly scheduled cute animal photo stream, but does anyone have any recommended treats/dry food for large breed puppies? Reading the internet is exhausting and is proving to be more opinionated based on someone trying to get me to buy their brand of stuff than what's going to be best for a dog. But I understand that it's not really an exact science either.

We use Hills Science Diet food which I BELIEVE is pretty good food and the dogs love it. No issues with digestion, which we did have with other foods we tried.

Apologies for interrupting your regularly scheduled cute animal photo stream, but does anyone have any recommended treats/dry food for large breed puppies? Reading the internet is exhausting and is proving to be more opinionated based on someone trying to get me to buy their brand of stuff than what's going to be best for a dog. But I understand that it's not really an exact science either.

The Purina Pro Plan line is great. Nutrish also. You can definitely go for the more expensive stuff. But my vet says the increase in cost is not comparable to the increase in quality of ingredients.

Treats - I usually go for Newman's.

Talk to your vet about rawhides and bones. I, personally, don't like giving my dogs those bones (you know, the kinds stuffed with peanut butter or cheese). Myself and my parents have both had dogs that have cracked/broken a tooth on those bones. And that is painful for them and expensive for the parent. Also, rawhide can sometimes come from places that are not hugely concerned about what chemicals they are putting into the treats. Things I wouldn't want my pets to eat.

The Purina Pro Plan line is great. Nutrish also. You can definitely go for the more expensive stuff. But my vet says the increase in cost is not comparable to the increase in quality of ingredients.

Treats - I usually go for Newman's.

Talk to your vet about rawhides and bones. I, personally, don't like giving my dogs those bones (you know, the kinds stuffed with peanut butter or cheese). Myself and my parents have both had dogs that have cracked/broken a tooth on those bones. And that is painful for them and expensive for the parent. Also, rawhide can sometimes come from places that are not hugely concerned about what chemicals they are putting into the treats. Things I wouldn't want my pets to eat.

did you say peanut butter ? reminds of this video i saw the other day

No treat info, but when I had my last Rottweiler, my vet had me give her a Flintstones multivitamin once a day.

The biggest thing is to do your research on finding a happy balance of what you can afford and quality dog food/treats. Some brands have a history of putting unhealthy fillers (avoid anything that says "by-product"). Or having recalls. If you haven't already found a trusted veterinary clinic as some local friends/family for a referral.

With that being said, our vet recommended Purina Pro Plan dry kibble. Every once in a while I give them canned food mixed in as a treat.

As for treats, I like to give them Greenies (for their dental care). It's cheaper if you can buy in bulk (Costco has the best deal from what I've seen). I like getting Milk Bone mini dog treats because they're tiny, one large box is affordable compared to larger biscuits, and it lasts longer. With 3 dogs food and treats don't last long! Also, remember that there are some fruits and veggies that you can give them as an alternative, and they're usually healthier too.

Greenies.jpg
Rachael Ray Nutrish Treats.jpg
MB Minis.jpg

Finally, for the rawhides and chew bones it depends on your dog's chew strength. We have a light chewer, a strong chewer, and an extreme chewer. The Nylabones in anything but extreme chew level gets broken up, sometimes ingested, and then hopefully pooped out. We do not get antlers anymore because they have broken their teeth on them. Rawhides only when supervised because the big dogs will try to swallow them whole, or steal it from the little dog once they finish theirs. 🤦‍♀️

Nylabone chew meter.PNG

PS. Yes, I'm obsessed with our dogs. :love::cool:🐶🐕🐩

The biggest thing is to do your research on finding a happy balance of what you can afford and quality dog food/treats. Some brands have a history of putting unhealthy fillers (avoid anything that says "by-product"). Or having recalls. If you haven't already found a trusted veterinary clinic as some local friends/family for a referral.

With that being said, our vet recommended Purina Pro Plan dry kibble. Every once in a while I give them canned food mixed in as a treat.

As for treats, I like to give them Greenies (for their dental care). It's cheaper if you can buy in bulk (Costco has the best deal from what I've seen). I like getting Milk Bone mini dog treats because they're tiny, one large box is affordable compared to larger biscuits, and it lasts longer. With 3 dogs food and treats don't last long! Also, remember that there are some fruits and veggies that you can give them as an alternative, and they're usually healthier too.

View attachment 43424
View attachment 43421
View attachment 43423

Finally, for the rawhides and chew bones it depends on your dog's chew strength. We have a light chewer, a strong chewer, and an extreme chewer. The Nylabones in anything but extreme chew level gets broken up, sometimes ingested, and then hopefully pooped out. We do not get antlers anymore because they have broken their teeth on them. Rawhides only when supervised because the big dogs will try to swallow them whole, or steal it from the little dog once they finish theirs. 🤦‍♀️

View attachment 43422

PS. Yes, I'm obsessed with our dogs. :love::cool:🐶🐕🐩

We use Milk Bone Minis for training. Teddy loves them! We’ve had to break them in half though, or Teddy’s nickname will change from “Monster” to “Fat Boy”. :ROFLMAO:

He’s getting better every day. Or I am. I’m not sure which.

IMG_3563.jpg
giphy.gif

Back