Criterion Club

Many of these titles are already (and perpetually) at 50% off at Amazon if you want to save on shipping.
Indeed most never went back down from the last B&N price match wars. I had a $50 coupon to spend so picked up a few things, but I pretty much already have everything I want to own on physical media. Until the 4k ones start showing up that is.

How often do they release new titles? I saw Love & Basketball was recently announced but it seems to be few and far between.

Also, not many 4K titles to be had. I wonder what the process is for that. Obviously much more difficult to get older titles to 4K than new. I’d like to see newer titles (<5 years) make that jump to criterion so we don’t have to wait. And not talking about how every Wes Anderson film is just auto approved. Though I do see more recent ones like Roma.

They do monthly announcements typically with 4-5ish titles. They are very late to the 4K game. The first batch of 7 were only recently announced and will be released over the next few months. Lot's of their existing catalog already have 4K scans ready to go, so I would imagine we start to see more announcements trickling in.

They are very much the equivalent to Mofi on the physical movie front. I am sure there are specific licensing terms written into their agreements with the studios. I know they had a deal with Netflix so that is why some of the newer stuff like Roma and The Irishman was available.

Heads up 50% Flash Sale going on now on Criterions website. Feeding another addiction of mine. :)

View attachment 115244

View attachment 115246
This makes me feel better about the number of Criterions I own.

I used $20 of certificates I had lying around and ended up buying 6 titles (5 movies and one trilogy). Then they emailed me saying I'd earned another $50.

I used $20 of certificates I had lying around and ended up buying 6 titles (5 movies and one trilogy). Then they emailed me saying I'd earned another $50.
It's a vicious cycle. :p

Makes me feel worse...a lot worse. But also happy lol

I'm $62 away from earning another $50 giftcard so i think i'm gonna put a couple of orders together. It's been a couple years since the last order.

Bro that looks fucking LIT.
hell yeah.

ALSO, I meant to ask you because I know you liked Night is Short, Walk on Girl: have you watched The Tatami Galaxy? It's a short anime series by the same director, which predates the movie by a few years but shares the same style and several characters, and it rules.

hell yeah.

ALSO, I meant to ask you because I know you liked Night is Short, Walk on Girl: have you watched The Tatami Galaxy? It's a short anime series by the same director, which predates the movie by a few years but shares the same style and several characters, and it rules.
Yes of course!

Yes of course!
Just finished it the other day and adored it. Apparently Science Saru is doing an anime adaptation of the sequel, which involves Akashi and a time machine? No idea if Yuasa is directing.

update: Yuasa not directing, but the person handling it has directed episodes of One-Punch Man and Space Dandy as well as an episode of The Tatami Galaxy, so...right energy.

Back