Criterion Club

Oh wow, thanks so much for sharing this. I looked into the set and watched a couple of trailers as I'm not familiar with the director. It seems right up my street and looks like some gorgeous cinematography.

When we were at uni there were times when we would spend hours upon hours slogging away on drawings that didn't take much brainpower but required a lot of time. I downloaded and watched almost all of Jackie Chan's films at the same time and became really fascinated in the 70's/80's Hong Kong aesthetic, which 'As Tears Go By' looks to incorporate. I will definitely be watching some of the Wong Kar Wai films, so thanks again.
No problem! Never seen that one so am excited to check it out myself. I watched a lot of Hong Kong movies growing up too so I understand.

related: I’m having all the discs in my WKW box set replaced for defects. Apparently there was an issue with parts of the run. Most of the movies are playable but demonstrate occasional skips in the audio In the Mood for Love was straight up broken.

The movies are awesome, though.

related: I’m having all the discs in my WKW box set replaced for defects. Apparently there was an issue with parts of the run. Most of the movies are playable but demonstrate occasional skips in the audio In the Mood for Love was straight up broken.

hopefully its not a wide spread issue. did you get it replaced from where you purchased or straight from criterion?

hopefully its not a wide spread issue. did you get it replaced from where you purchased or straight from criterion?
I emailed Criterion and they were aware of a defective run, they’re sending new disks no questions asked. Just had to provide photos of my current disks inscribed with sharpie as verification.

I emailed Criterion and they were aware of a defective run, they’re sending new disks no questions asked. Just had to provide photos of my current disks inscribed with sharpie as verification.
thanks for the heads up! i'll do the same if i run into issues

Wow that suuuuuuucks.

Mine were all flawless so fear not other users!

I think the above image applies to this announcement as well 😄

We’re thrilled to announce Criterion’s first 4K Ultra HD releases, a six-film slate that includes Citizen Kane, Menace II Society, The Piano, Mulholland Dr., The Red Shoes, andA Hard Day’s Night. The first of these editions and their special features will be detailed in our November 2021 announcement next week, with others to follow in subsequent months.

The most dazzling debut in cinema history, Orson Welles’s Citizen Kane was Criterion’s first laserdisc release 37 years ago. It now rejoins the library after a long absence, making its first appearance in 4K Ultra HD along with Allen and Albert Hughes’s riveting breakthrough Menace II Society; Jane Campion’s Academy Award–winning The Piano,starring Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin in her breakout role; David Lynch’s Mulholland Dr., a tale of love and jealousy in the city of dreams; Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s singular Technicolor fantasia The Red Shoes; and Richard Lester’s timeless movie musical A Hard Day’s Night, which brought the Beatles’ revolutionary talent and irreverent humor to the big screen.

Each title will be available in a 4K UHD+Blu-ray combo pack including a 4K UHD disc of the feature film as well as the film and its special features on Blu-ray. Select films will be presented in Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos. Stay tuned for more details in our November announcement!

Anyone have a recommendation for a good, affordable 4K player? Finally moving into my new space and want to upgrade my player

I have two of these and like them very much:
Amazon product ASIN B08ZFYVS9T
They're easy to navigate and update and the PQ looks amazing. There's no HDMI cable, though (classic Sony), so unless you got a spare you would need to pick one up separately.
Awesome. Thank you. I’ve heard some people have issues with the cheaper Sony, so I didn’t want to deal with that, but I always trust the reviews of the people on this forum more than most

Awesome. Thank you. I’ve heard some people have issues with the cheaper Sony, so I didn’t want to deal with that, but I always trust the reviews of the people on this forum more than most
I had an issue with the first EU player i had where it couldn't play some 4K discs all the way through but the replacement and the one i imported from the US have both performed without any issues.

Back