Baseball

I am a low-key yankee fan, I should say. I was OBSESSED with them growing up always watching every game each season. Surprisingly, they never won when I was really into them. I don’t remember watching the late 90s Championships. I do remember watching them lose to Arizona in 2001 and then every year again until I stopped around or before 2009 when they won again. I still follow the happenings but I just can’t watch a game live, too boring unless I’m there in person.

The Yankees were my AL team prior to the Astros changing leagues. I always liked Joe Torre a lot, so I was really into all of the championship runs that group made. I still like them unless they are playing Houston.

I am a low-key yankee fan, I should say. I was OBSESSED with them growing up always watching every game each season. Surprisingly, they never won when I was really into them. I don’t remember watching the late 90s Championships. I do remember watching them lose to Arizona in 2001 and then every year again until I stopped around or before 2009 when they won again. I still follow the happenings but I just can’t watch a game live, too boring unless I’m there in person.
Aw, sorry pal. The Yankees, the Red Sox and the Patriots are my most blechiest of teams.

And if the Astros trot out Wade Miley tomorrow to start the game, this series is going to be tied heading back to Houston for a deciding Game 5. The Astros historically have not fared well at the Trop, or against the Rays in general, and that held true this year when they lost the season series 4-3. Not sure I like Hinch pulling Greinke so quick. Let him eat up some pitches and innings rather than taxing the bullpen.

I dunno. I just want to get past the Rays, to be honest. I have a feeling the Astros might drop the game today. I like Greinke, but I just feel like the Rays get this one today for some reason. I was really nervous about this series, and I would have been just as nervous for different reasons if we had played the A's. It has taken two historically good pitching performances to take the 2-0 lead in this series. I want to see the bats come alive a bit more.

I think the Yankees will be a tough matchup if and when it happens. I feel like the Astros would have the edge on paper, but the Yankees lineup is no joke. Power from top to bottom, and their pitching has been better than I expected. You have to tip your hat to the Yankees for not only surviving all of those injuries this season, but somehow thriving. I thought at some point they would fade a bit, but they never did. Yankee stadium, especially during the playoffs, is a really tough environment. That is why the Astros were gunning so hard for the home field advantage in the AL. I think they are going to need it, so I'm glad they did end up getting it.

As far as the NL teams...I don't really feel like the Astros fared well against the NL teams they played this year. I don't know what their record was, but I know the Reds and Pirates had success against them. I think the Reds swept them. You just never know. I've seen the Astros offense go fairly quiet at times this season, and then have that starting pitching bail them out. That's asking a lot though in the playoffs when seemingly every at bat is a high pressure situation. I hope you're right, but, it's baseball, and sometimes the script gets tossed out the window.
As a Yankees fan, I'm not optimistic about their prospects of beating the Astros. However, if I were a 'Stros fan and saw that the Yanks had just whomped a 101-win Twins team to the tune of 18-6 over the first two games, I'd be at least a little bit nervous.

The Bronx crowds were pretty good for the first two DS games - and in a CS matchup with Houston I'd expect them to be even more wild. It'll be a tough place to play. Really wish that we'd been able to pull out home field advantage down the stretch.

Looks like Miley is in there now. Bullet dodged for tomorrow. I'm fine with letting him go out there and "work some things out" in a game where they are on the business end of a blowout.

I will say that having 2 of the first 3 games of this series played at Noon/1:00 CDT absolutely blows. I mean, at least I can track the game at work, but, this is the second year in a row we've gotten the shaft in terms of game times. I get that the Yankees equal ratings, but MLB should really balance things out a little more evenly. Frankly, I was shocked they didn't give the Yankees the night slot on Saturday too.
At least the early game that was in Houston was on a weekend, it sucks much more to have one of your home games start in the afternoon on a weekday.

Who starts tomorrow?

I'm guessing Jose Urquidy. He's been good overall recently, and I'm not sure if he's faced the Rays. We may have already finished playing them this season before he was added to the roster. Could be an advantage. Or...the stress could get to him and we get a repeat of what is happening today. The offense has got to get going to help these pitchers out...even the future hall of famers.

I'm guessing Jose Urquidy. He's been good overall recently, and I'm not sure if he's faced the Rays. We may have already finished playing them this season before he was added to the roster. Could be an advantage. Or...the stress could get to him and we get a repeat of what is happening today. The offense has got to get going to help these pitchers out...even the future hall of famers.
Man it would really be delightful if the Rays could force Verlander or Cole to have to make another start in this series.

Looks like Verlander is starting Game 4 tomorrow. Not sure how I feel about that on only 3 days rest. It shows that even with two top tier pitchers, Hinch wants to try and avoid a winner take all Game 5 if at all possible. It's a gamble.
This is pretty good news, although I suppose it would put him in line to start game 2 of the ALCS.

I forgot about the early games, I'll check out the highlights at home later. Definitely wasn't expecting that result for the Astros - Rays.

Let’s go Nats!!!
Are we the only Nats fans here? Sheesh. Well, at least I'm in good company!

Corbin's melt down was disheartening. Kendrick's base running error squashed a rally. It's those little things that make a team WS great. Hopefully they settle and can pull out this last win.

Are we the only Nats fans here? Sheesh. Well, at least I'm in good company!

Corbin's melt down was disheartening. Kendrick's base running error squashed a rally. It's those little things that make a team WS great. Hopefully they settle and can pull out this last win.

Max really pulled one out yesterday. And that Zim HR!

Back