Baseball

I'd say the Rays chance of winning tomorrow is at least 50-50. And if the Astros hitters take the same approach to the Rays pitching that they did in games 3 & 4, they will be watching the ALCS on television from the comfort of their homes.
I know you’re nervous and also trying to reverse-jinx, but come on, with Cole on the mound at home I think your chances are a bit better than that. As for the ALCS, all it means is you have to go Greinke-Verlander-Cole instead of Cole-Verlander-Greinke. High class problems.

That being said, LET’S GO RAYS! Tonight might be the biggest Yankees game of the year (so far). Although, if the Rays win and Game 1 is in the Bronx, it means I’d have to bail out on Saturday’s Wilco show with my wife and our friends. I can live with that.

I know you’re nervous and also trying to reverse-jinx, but come on, with Cole on the mound at home I think your chances are a bit better than that. As for the ALCS, all it means is you have to go Greinke-Verlander-Cole instead of Cole-Verlander-Greinke. High class problems.

That being said, LET’S GO RAYS! Tonight might be the biggest Yankees game of the year (so far). Although, if the Rays win and Game 1 is in the Bronx, it means I’d have to bail out on Saturday’s Wilco show with my wife and our friends. I can live with that.

Not a reverse jinx attempt. I've been nervous about this series since before it started. I don't fully trust Greinke as a playoff pitcher, so that means the Astros are going to try and do this with just two horses. I don't like that plan, no matter how good they've been. They had a deeper starting roster during their run in 2017. Miley looked so good until September came along and then he fell to pieces. Cole has been great, but I don't see the Rays striking out 15 times again in game 5. Game 5s and Game 7s are toss ups...ask the Dodgers snd Braves. In fact, all 3 teams moving on to the ALCS clinched on the road. So home field doesn't guarantee shit. Do I feel good having Cole go today? Yeah, I'm glad he's starting. But if the bats don't get going, then it may not matter. You can't ask a guy to go out there and throw 1-hit ball every time, particularly in the playoffs. That's a lot of pressure. The Rays pitching moves are unique and keep clubs off balance. It worked very well for them the last two games. That's why I feel this is pretty much a toss-up game. Astros may have a slight edge, but I just don't think this is the David vs. Goliath matchup that the media is making it out to be. It's not like the Detroit Tigers snuck into the playoffs, and are wearing Rays unis. The Rays won, what, 96 games this season? I didn't feel comfortable up 2-0, so, yeah, I don't feel comfortable tied 2-2 either. We'll see what happens. I actually won't even be able to watch it all. I've got a Daniel Johnston tribute show tonight, so I'll get to see the start of the game, and then I'll just be nervously checking my phone at the show.

Last edited:
No just that Bryce Harper was good this year and the Nats would be better if they had Bryce Harper.
I don't think anyone could state that affirmatively. He'd be taking a roster spot for Soto or Robles or Eaton or Parra (baby shark himself) or Taylor. All of whom had a good or great year. Parra's son choosing baby shark as his walk up music is arguably what started the team having so much fun and loosening up. Soto is a beast. Robles arm and his ability to throw from the outfield and catch people trying to squeeze in extra bases matches Bryce's ability to do the same. Taylor may be the one expendable one in the outfield. And I'm not sure Bryce matches the current chemistry and belief in themselves in the dugout. And that chemistry is what is keeping the Nats in this.

So, who knows. I'd love some reporter to knock on Bryce's door this morning and ask how he's feeling. We need another Bryce quote akin to: That's a clown question, bro.

I don't think anyone could state that affirmatively. He'd be taking a roster spot for Soto or Robles or Eaton or Parra (baby shark himself) or Taylor. All of whom had a good or great year. Parra's son choosing baby shark as his walk up music is arguably what started the team having so much fun and loosening up. Soto is a beast. Robles arm and his ability to throw from the outfield and catch people trying to squeeze in extra bases matches Bryce's ability to do the same. Taylor may be the one expendable one in the outfield. And I'm not sure Bryce matches the current chemistry and belief in themselves in the dugout. And that chemistry is what is keeping the Nats in this.

So, who knows. I'd love some reporter to knock on Bryce's door this morning and ask how he's feeling. We need another Bryce quote akin to: That's a clown question, bro.
We agree that Soto and Robles rule, but I think an outfield of Soto - Robles - Harper would be the best combination of any of those players by a significant margin.

We agree that Soto and Robles rule, but I think an outfield of Soto - Robles - Harper would be the best combination of any of those players by a significant margin.
Soto: 142 wRC+, 4.8 WAR
Robles: 91 wRC+, 2.5 WAR
Eaton: 107 wRC+, 2.3 WAR
Parra: 74 wRC+, -0.2 WAR (yikes)

Harper: 125 wRC+, 4.6 WAR

So, you're wrong - Soto/Robles/Harper is not significantly better than Soto/Eaton/Harper. Checkmate.

Who are the Cardinals fans in here? Shall we start the light-and-just-for-fun ribbing now?

The Cardinals are the team that broke Drew Storen. They scare me. I can't seem to find how they played against each other this year. Anyone help me out?

Who are the Cardinals fans in here? Shall we start the light-and-just-for-fun ribbing now?

The Cardinals are the team that broke Drew Storen. They scare me. I can't seem to find how they played against each other this year. Anyone help me out?
They dropped 3 out of 4 to the Cards at home in April (combined score 16-7). Lost 2 of 3 in St. Louis a few weeks ago (15-5).

Back