Baseball

If they do find them guilty of doing it, which the evidence is pretty damning, I don't think they'll strip them of any championships.
At most, a fine, and maybe a draft pick. But as for the fans, we will place an asterisk on their titles.
One thing for sure, they did not do it against the Nats. lololol
This to me was maybe the most damning piece of evidence in the story: "In 2019, even after a full season of new, more rigid rules baseball enacted to clamp down on sign stealing, the Nationals during the World Series employed a sophisticated set of signs against the Astros that they did not use in previous rounds of the postseason. "

If they do find them guilty of doing it, which the evidence is pretty damning, I don't think they'll strip them of any championships.
At most, a fine, and maybe a draft pick. But as for the fans, we will place an asterisk on their titles.
One thing for sure, they did not do it against the Nats. lololol
100% they should be fined and docked future picks and MLB should adopt clear language on what the punishment for sign stealing should be going forward

This to me was maybe the most damning piece of evidence in the story: "In 2019, even after a full season of new, more rigid rules baseball enacted to clamp down on sign stealing, the Nationals during the World Series employed a sophisticated set of signs against the Astros that they did not use in previous rounds of the postseason. "
That's not damning on the Astros but smart on the Nats. Every team should expect sign stealing and step their game up accordingly, especially in the playoffs and WS

That's not damning on the Astros but smart on the Nats. Every team should expect sign stealing and step their game up accordingly, especially in the playoffs and WS
I meant "damning" in the sense of "indicating a high likelihood that the central claim of this story - that the Astros' success was ascribable at least in part to cheating - is true".

Championships should never be just given away in sports
well, maybe don't give it to the Dodgers, but take it from the Astros. No winner that season.
Has a championship ever been vacated?
This is what I know off the top of my head

Louisville 2013 NCAA Basketball title vacated - 2013 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament - Wikipedia
USC 2004 Football team title vacated - 2004 USC Trojans football team - Wikipedia
Juventus 2006 bribing scandal, title vacated, relegated to Serie B, a bunch of other teams received smaller punishments - 2006 Italian football scandal - Wikipedia

I think it's a really slippery slope vacating results for issues not specifically written in the rules. Stealing signs using technology has been happening in baseball for decades now (The Shot Heard Round the world was partially due to sign stealing with a telescope) and doesnt hurt the integrity of the game nearly as much as gambling or PED scandals. If you start vacating for stealing signs why not just vacate the Big Red Machines entire run and the whole of 90s baseball

And if the solidifying of the rules is the outcome of all of this *waves arms* then the sport will be better for it. I think it's a stretch to compare the Steroid Era to this, as steroids were a widespread issue. Only The Astros to my knowledge have been accused of stealing signs multiple times throughout the recent years.

Every team should expect sign stealing and step their game up accordingly, especially in the playoffs and WS
This is a really weak justification for cheating IMO. But I will grant that baseball in particular makes it tougher to argue against, since different types of cheating are treated differently, ranging on a spectrum from "tolerable and actually kind of charming" to "literally a congressional hearing".

I meant "damning" in the sense of "indicating a high likelihood that the central claim of this story - that the Astros' success was ascribable at least in part to cheating - is true".
I mean I fully believe they were stealing signs using technology, but I also believe this is a much more common practice than fans want to believe. Yes it helps to know what's coming, but you still have to go out and perform

I mean I fully believe they were stealing signs using technology, but I also believe this is a much more common practice than fans want to believe. Yes it helps to know what's coming, but you still have to go out and perform
Well if I read the story right (and I'm not sure because I found this part to be the most confusing), the Astros were worried enough that they were sending goons out to center field in other stadiums to make sure nobody was doing it to them, but it seems like they came up empty on those missions.

And if the solidifying of the rules is the outcome of all of this *waves arms* then the sport will be better for it. I think it's a stretch to compare the Steroid Era to this, as steroids were a widespread issue. Only The Astros to my knowledge have been accused of stealing signs multiple times throughout the recent years.
I think its fairly naive to think steroid use was a widespread issue and that stealing signs isnt. The Red Sox and Yankees have been accused multiple times this decade, the Phillies were accused multiple times in the 07-12 run, ESPN did a report on the Bluejays stealing signs with a guy in a white shirt and these are just examples I know about.
This is a really weak justification for cheating IMO. But I will grant that baseball in particular makes it tougher to argue against, since different types of cheating are treated differently, ranging on a spectrum from "tolerable and actually kind of charming" to "literally a congressional hearing".
I'm not justifying cheating, just saying that teams should be on the lookout especially in a sport like baseball where teams use every inch they can to win games from stealing signs, to pine tar, to corked bats, all sorts of PEDs.

Last edited:
id employ the if we think youre stealing signs we drill every batter in the mid section tactic. i mean, they gonna get on base if you know whats coming, so lets just help you out with that. cant run with broken ribs. hurts. a lot.

I saw this too. I think this is pretty damning and blatant. Maybe I'm blissfully unaware of this being done by other teams, but this just made me so angry.

Eff em!

They have become the Patriots of MLB in my eyes. (Sorry Pats fans).
So we can all agree that the Yankees are America's Team next year, right?

Back