August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

5th August - Hens Teeth!
Play a rarity from your collection. It could be a low pressing, signed copy, expensive, sought after....

Hazy Mountains - Small Hours

I got this one as a PIF from @zdkaiser , and it was part of a pressing where each record was a random color blend, so this particular copy (along with all the others) is one-of-a-kind!

IMG_20210807_101728275_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210807_101816840_HDR.jpg

7th August - International Hangover Day!
After yesterday perhaps it's best for a quiet night in. Play an acoustic album that's nice and relaxed.

Codeine - Frigid Stars (Numero Box set - When I See The Sun)

Not sure if slow-core will help a hangover or cause more damage. Numero does an amazing job on these 90s boxsets (Codeine, Bedhead, Blonde Redhead )
19A33770-620F-43ED-975C-9D16B7BEBCCE.jpeg

Three Angels would probably drive me to suicide if I was really hungover

Day 07: International Hangover Day!
After yesterday perhaps it's best for a quiet night in. Play an acoustic album that's nice and relaxed

Jim O’Rourke - Bad Timing
5AECF894-7964-45E6-9A06-334F7D2DD329.jpeg

Such a chill meditative album. You can tune in and out at will. Delicate yet complex acoustic primitivism from one of the best behind the scenes talents in Underground Rock over the past 20+ years.

5th August - Hens Teeth!
Play a rarity from your collection. It could be a low pressing, signed copy, expensive, sought after....

I saw him playing an acoustic set in August 2017, then in September I got this signed copy at NY's Rough Trade, lucky!

Lee Ranaldo - Electric Trim

4CF8EE5E-6FD0-49BE-AE7F-E1C131676B74.jpeg

1628365939938.jpeg

7th August - International Hangover Day!

I have a headache today...but it's not a hangover as I only had that one beer around noon yesterday.

Hair of the dog always seemed to take a bit of the edge off the morning after a night of drinking...so we're sticking with Gwar...and some coffee and headache pills.

20210807_141739 (2).jpg

Gwar ‎– Lust In Space
Metal Blade Records ‎– 3984-25181-1, 2009/2021

Pressed at GZ

fz0sTy.jpg

4uo3FL.jpg

5th August - Hens Teeth!

Hazy Mountains - Small Hours

I got this one as a PIF from @zdkaiser , and it was part of a pressing where each record was a random color blend, so this particular copy (along with all the others) is one-of-a-kind!

View attachment 107980
View attachment 107982
That's great you still own it! Pressed at Gotta Groove.

6th August - International Beer Day!
Choose a record that you like listening to whilst relaxing with a cold beer (or drink of your choice).

The Anniversary - Designing a Nervous Breakdown

I'm weird and I've never had a beer, so I'll play an album that came out back when I was the age that I probably would have gotten drunk for the first time if I had been a bit more normal.

IMG_20210804_185017820.jpg

6th August - International Beer Day!

It's Friday and I've been tired.
Local brewery session IPA

Pixies - Come on Pilgrim

FDBFB268-B35E-402C-99E2-0FD8C990C249.jpeg

"Let's go, let's sit, let's talk, politics goes so good with beer
And while we're at it, baby
Why don't you tell me one of your biggest fears?"

8th August - Now THAT'S a cool story!
Play an album that has a great story linked to it.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

20210808_010045.jpg

Billy Corgan planned out his suicide during the recording, with the label pressuring the (well overbudget) release. He suffered nervous breakdowns, and often worked 12+ hour days to get even as small as a minute-long section of a track with producer Butch Vig to achieve the exact wall of sound Corgan wanted. It didn't help of course that D'arcy Wretzky and James Iha were not adept enough at their own instruments to participate in much of the recording at all, adding to the enormous pressure for Corgan to perform bass and rhythm guitar for the recording. Drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, the only other competent member of the band at the time, was often gone for days at a time during recording to drug benders and nearly lost his life to heroin addiction.
Despite all that and much more, the album turned out pretty great.

8th August - Now THAT'S a cool story!
Play an album that has a great story linked to it.

So many cool stories about this album.
Here's how the cover came about, according to Wikipedia:

The album was named Double Nickels on the Dime as a reaction to the Sammy Hagar song "I Can't Drive 55," a protest against the federally imposed speed limit of 55 miles per hour on all U.S. highways in place at the time.[15] Minutemen decided that driving fast "wasn't terribly defiant"; Watt later commented that "the big rebellion thing was writing your own fuckin' songs and trying to come up with your own story, your own picture, your own book, whatever. So he can't drive 55, because that was the national speed limit? Okay, we'll drive 55, but we'll make crazy music."[14]

The band illustrated the theme on the cover of Double Nickels on the Dime, which depicts Watt driving his Volkswagen Beetle at exactly 55 miles per hour ("double nickels" in trucker slang) traveling southbound through downtown Los Angeles, where Interstate 10 ("The Dime"[21] in trucker slang) meets the San Pedro Intersection of Route 11/110,[22] also known as the Harbor Freeway, toward the band's hometown of San Pedro, California. "The title means fifty-five miles per hour on the button, like we were Johnny Conservative."[14][23] Dirk Vandenberg, the band's "buddy/contributor," took photos from the backseat as Watt drove under the sign to San Pedro; it took three circuits of the highway and two days of photography before Minutemen were happy with the cover.[24] Vandenberg later commented on the cover art: "There were three elements that Mike [Watt] wanted in the photo: a natural kind of glint in his eyes reflected in the rearview mirror, the speedometer pinned exactly at 55mph, and, of course, the San Pedro sign guiding us home". However, when the cover was presented to SST, "someone botched the cropping for the print and cut off the end of the word Pedro."

Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

7BBF3304-92DC-42A2-A221-860BCE4A3959.jpeg

Back