August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

8th August - Now THAT'S a cool story!

Buena Vista Social Club

73128C62-B06E-4C43-BAC2-44227374CBF6.jpeg
I recently watched the “making of” documentary of this album. If you’re a fan of this record, it’s a must watch. Hearing the stories of these legendary musicians and how Ry Cooder helped bring their art to the world was a joy to watch.

Play an album that has a great story linked to it.

David Bowie - Gouster

The great "lost" Bowie album. The Gouster was shelved/reworked into Young Americans. Still not available as a stand alone album but as part of the "Who Can I Ben Now" box set. A bit more of the story behind it at CofS
View attachment 108078

"Right" is such a great track (either this mix or the YA mix, both are great). Most artists only wish they could have deeper cuts this amazing.

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

B4184D3F-2423-4380-A0DB-8B86E08BEB3F.jpeg

Thanks to @Rip_City for the inspiration earlier this month to come back to this band again.

I love the stories where a label gives a band free rein to record an album and then when they receive the finished project can only say “there’s no single here” but the record goes on to be recognized as a masterpiece. Over 50 guest musicians were involved in the recording (mostly improvised and in darkness) but only less than half of them made it into the finalized album.

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

Not a great story, I'll admit, but I was on a church mission in Argentina for two years when this album came out, and during those two years I wasn't allowed to listen to the radio or any "worldly" music. Modest Mouse was one of my favorite bands, but I was so cut off that all I knew about the more indie side of things was that Radiohead had a new album and that Elliott Smith had died (my dad let me know in a letter).

Anyway, my first weekend back in the states, in late 2004, before I'd had a chance to even visit Pitchfork online (remember, it was 2004!) I went with my family to Target. I went at looked at the CD section, and saw that the new and bestsellers section had Death Cab, Elliott Smith, and... Modest Mouse?! My mind was blown, but I was even more amazed when I listened to it that MM had a legitimate radio hit, and that the album was so accessible and yet so incredibly weird.

IMG_20210808_153614846.jpg

Day 8 - Now THAT’S a Cool Story

Laraaji was a street performer in NYC when Brian Eno stumbled across him. That led to him getting the third installment in Eno’s Ambient series, which Eno produced.

5598F9C4-9943-4666-AC04-E03EEA3D37CC.jpeg

7th August - International Hangover Day!

Frderico Albanese - The Blue Hour
View attachment 108109

I love this album so much. It was my bedtime album for nearly a year straight back around the time of its release.
I used to listen to his “Houseboat and the Moon” album when my entire waking days were exclusively studying, but I could not remember his name for the last few years until you posted this. Thank you!

Weird things happen during a pandemic.

I hosted the N&G AoTM in September 2020. I had plenty of time locked in music bunker solitary to ponder my selection and put together a fun little thread. I settled on the record Jimmy Bell's Still In Town by Ohio legends 15-60-75.

One thing I was passionate about with my pick was selecting an LP that was not only a great, undervalued record but also one everyone could purchase direct from the artist. I emailed Robert Kidney, the band founder, at the beginning of the process to introduce myself, tell him what I was up to, explain the impact his music had on me, why I chose his record and to make sure all N&G folks around the world could purchase their records from him.

Two weeks. Crickets.

I sent a follow-up email and received a reply pretty quickly from Bob's wife, Janet. As it turned out, Robert makes the music and Janet is webstore, billing, order management, packing, shipping, etc... Got the verification orders could flow through them. I told Janet they may see a little sales bump after the record reveal and I carried on with my business.

The LP is revealed and soon thereafter, I get this email from Robert Kidney -

"I would enjoy a phone conversation with you if you are interested? I'd like to find out more about you and this group you're involved in. I'm 73 and I guess a bit old fashioned. I find conversation faster, deeper and more complex. Gimmie a call ,send me a text, (phone # redacted) let's talk sometime."

Bob's interest was piqued. Seems the N&G family totally cleaned out their vinyl inventory a few days after announcement of the record.

Long story short, we talked on the phone last September and we've been in constant contact ever since. I have to share the last text I got from Bob a couple weeks ago. It's funny, passionate and touching -

"It's really wonderful you care so much about this music. I do not understand it, but it's humbling and an honor. I must think of something to do for you. I'm not sure what it is but I'll think of something. God dammit, I'll think of something. I don't make promises I cannot keep. It will be some kind of a surprise. I hope someday that we can meet."

Here's the AoTM thread if anyone wants to explore. It's fun.

And Bob already laid a surprise on me last year - a signed, sealed, original 1975 pressing of Jimmy Bell's Still In Town. Not the one I'm spinning, of course, but here she is on the wall.

15-60-75 (The Numbers Band) - Jimmy Bell's Still In Town

20201013_024231.jpg

Last edited:

I hosted the N&G AoTM in September 2020. I had plenty of time locked in music bunker solitary to ponder my selection and put together a fun little thread. I settled on the record Jimmy Bell's Still In Town by local Ohio legends 15-60-75.

One thing I was passionate about with my pick was selecting an LP that was not only a great, undervalued record but also one everyone could purchase direct from the artist. I emailed Robert Kidney, the band founder, at the beginning of the process to introduce myself, tell him what I was up to, explain the impact his music had on me, why I chose his record and to make sure all N&G folks around the world could purchase their records from him.

Two weeks. Crickets.

I sent a follow-up email and received a reply pretty quickly from Bob's wife, Janet. As it turned out, Robert makes the music and Janet is webstore, billing, order management, packing, shipping, etc... Got the verification orders could flow through them. I told Janet they may see a little sales bump after the record reveal and I carried on with my business.

"I would enjoy a phone conversation with you if you are interested? I'd like to find out more about you and this group you're involved in. I'm 73 and I guess a bit old fashioned. I find conversation faster, deeper and more complex. Gimmie a call ,send me a text, (phone # redacted) let's talk sometime."

Bob's interest was piqued. Seems the N&G family totally cleaned out their vinyl inventory a few days after announcement of the record.

Long story short, we talked on the phone last September and we've been in constant contact ever since. I have to share the last text I got from Bob a couple weeks ago. It's funny, passionate and touching -

"It's really wonderful you care so much about this music. I do not understand it, but it's humbling and an honor. I must think of something to do for you. I'm not sure what it is but I'll think of something. God dammit, I'll think of something. I don't make promises I cannot keep. It will be some kind of a surprise. I hope someday that we can meet."

And Bob already laid a surprise on me last year - a signed, sealed, original 1975 pressing of Jimmy Bell's Still In Town. Not the one I'm spinning, of course, but here she is on the wall.

View attachment 108124
Such a great story.

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

Not a great story, I'll admit, but I was on a church mission in Argentina for two years when this album came out, and during those two years I wasn't allowed to listen to the radio or any "worldly" music. Modest Mouse was one of my favorite bands, but I was so cut off that all I knew about the more indie side of things was that Radiohead had a new album and that Elliott Smith had died (my dad let me know in a letter).

Anyway, my first weekend back in the states, in late 2004, before I'd had a chance to even visit Pitchfork online (remember, it was 2004!) I went with my family to Target. I went at looked at the CD section, and saw that the new and bestsellers section had Death Cab, Elliott Smith, and... Modest Mouse?! My mind was blown, but I was even more amazed when I listened to it that MM had a legitimate radio hit, and that the album was so accessible and yet so incredibly weird.

View attachment 108101
I have this album!. I forget what it‘s like now (the good problem of having too many records?). Your post will make me go search for it and play it too

7th August - International Hangover Day!
After yesterday perhaps it's best for a quiet night in. Play an acoustic album that's nice and relaxed.

Not really an acoustic album, but quite relaxing.

Washed Out ‎– High Times

PXL_20210809_121348221.jpg

I hosted the N&G AoTM in September 2020. I had plenty of time locked in music bunker solitary to ponder my selection and put together a fun little thread. I settled on the record Jimmy Bell's Still In Town by Ohio legends 15-60-75.

Two weeks. Crickets.

View attachment 108124
You win today @Yer Ol' Uncle D, such a feel good story!

It was a dark and stormy night...

1628511667622.png

I might be the only vinyl collector that doesn't have any Peanuts record in my collection. T-Bone Walker has a song on here "Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday Is Just As Bad)" so there's a story in there at least.

Ann Arbor Blues Festival 1969 Vol. 2

Many stories in here...

PXL_20210809_124516181.jpg

The end.

9th August - International Day Of The Worlds Indigenous People!
Play an album that highlights those people that are often overshadowed and bring them to the attention of more people. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a particular group of people, but perhaps an overlooked group/genre/person of cultural significance or interest.

Dead Indian ‎– Resist

PXL_20210809_132408517.jpg
PXL_20210809_132320039.jpg

Roland Kirk – Live At Ronnie Scott's, 1963 (Gearbox Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)

Rather than share a story that involves me getting the record, I decided to share a story that should have been told and included within this recent RSD release. As a side note, I don't begrudge Gearbox but I do think that not including liner notes or a booklet was a missed opportunity, especially given the wealth of material available.

When Roland Kirk visited the UK in 1963 he spent several days at Ronnie Scotts Club in London (at their old Gerrard Street location). There are plenty of stories that surround his performances during this residency (the music is included in this RSD release) but my favourite involves whistles.

Kirk would often hand out whistles to the audience at the club and would raise his hand to signal for them to blow them as hard as they could. Kirk was blind so he relied on this signal to get their attention. During this era, Ronnie Scotts would often get raided by the police who were looking to catch them serving alcohol to non-members (which was illegal). Scott and Pete King (the co-founder) knew it would be impossible to keep track of who was actually a member or not, so they just served everyone. On the night of Kirk's performance, the police raided mid-set and as they came through the door Kirk signed for the whistles to be blown. The noise drowned out the police whistles and they begged Scott to get Kirk to stop playing. The story goes that Kirk was having non of it and continued to play louder than before. The police ended up leaving whilst Scott and King had tears of laughter and the performance continued.

IMG_5294.JPG

9th August - International Day Of The Worlds Indigenous People!
Play an album that highlights those people that are often overshadowed and bring them to the attention of more people. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a particular group of people, but perhaps an overlooked group/genre/person of cultural significance or interest.

Zoon - Beached Wavves

Going digital today at work (and because my order of this one on vinyl hasn't shipped yet)... here's some self-proclaimed "mocassingaze," by Ojibwe musician Daniel Monkman.

Back