August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

August 4 - Chocolate Chip Cookie Day - Play a "sweet" album.

Jawbreaker - Dear You

I don't really have anything that I would call "sweet", so this is close enough, I guess. It's that old adage from High Fidelity...."which came first the music or the misery". I swear I have music that is happy, just none very sweet.

And the only thing sweet about this album is that the band's name "could" be thought of as a reference to a hard candy. No idea why they chose Jawbreaker as their name, but I doubt it has anything to do with Willy Wonka. The songs themselves...not very sweet. I would words more like angry, self-pitying, pretentious, yearning, confused, morose, ......sour? But, not sweet.

I don't think I hate you enough to commit you to me
IMG_0448[2101].JPG

August 5 - Neil Armstrong's birthday - Play an album that takes you to outer space.

Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space

I played this for a different month, but I can't NOT play it for an album that takes me to outer space. I mean, it literally leads me from the first manned spaceflight to the final Apollo mission using audio dialogue from the actual events. For anyone with any sense of wonder in them at all, I cannot recommend this album enough.

We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard
IMG_0449[2099].JPG

August 5 - Neil Armstrong's birthday - Play an album that takes you to outer space.

Sun Ra - The Definitive 45s Collection - Vol.2: 1962-1991

Just check out some of song titles on this comp: Space Loneliness, Rocket #9, Blues on Planet Mars, Saturn Moon, Journey to Saturn...

FD449B77-1B2B-49A3-B8DE-5D9F115A956B.jpeg

Back