August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

Relevant - did you know that Jeff Rosenstock's ska band Arrogant Sons of Bitches put out a live album consisting entirely of Radiohead covers? It sure is a thing.

And also may I offer:

My Radiohead fandom means I have more than a couple Radiohead cover albums on my hard drive (including the Radiodread one), but that Rosenstock one is new to me!

August 4 - Chocolate Chip Cookie Day - Play a "sweet" album.

Blossom Dearie - Blossom Time At Ronnie Scott's (Fontana, 1966 First UK Mono Pressing)

I would describe Blossom's vocals as being 'sickly sweet'. That's not to say I don't like them but as with sweets, I find that its best to limit the amount I have/hear in one sitting. Blossom's reputation kind of blossomed (excuse the pun) when her self titled album was announced as the Classics' pick, and I can understand why as its a fantastic example of vocal jazz. I actually had a couple of her albums before this (a first pressing of the self-titled album and a signed copy of Needlepoint Magic) and I recently picked up this live recording from London's Ronnie Scotts. It's a great session with lots of humour, sickly sweet vocals, and a lot of passion from Blossom. Superb.

IMG_0326.JPG

Back