August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

Played catchup today.

August 1 - In honor of our July's host, play an album related to "blue" or "grass."

Robert Pete Williams / Matthew "Hogman" Maxey / Robert "Guitar" Welch – Angola Prisoners' Blues (1960, First UK Pressing)

I have posted this before and its always a great one to listen to. Williams fatally shot a man in a nightclub, which he claimed was self-defence, and was given a life sentence. Later his music was recorded in the jail and his innocence was pleaded. He won the appeal and was re-sentenced to 80 hours community work a week. He recorded a few more albums after this period and the one's I have heard are superb!

IMG_3777.JPG

August 2 - Coloring Book Day - Play an album that uses a unique adjective to describe its color.

The Go - Ferdinand Attic Demos LP (Third Man Records The Vault Package 41 on Clear with Yellow & Purple Smoke [Mottled Carpet Remnant] vinyl'

Always get a kick out of the idea that Jack White and co decided 'Mottled Carpet Remnant' was a great colour to press this vinyl on.

IMG_6934.JPG

DAY 2
COLORING BOOK
100 gecs - 1000 gecs and the Tree of Clues
This absolutely bonkers and wonderful remix album comes on "ghostly green" vinyl, and I have to say I'm impressed that it looks exactly like the mock-up. I was ready to be disappointed, but the gecs came through for me as they always do 🥰 the pictures don't do it justice. Also - it sounds incredible 🤩🦎
20200802_220619.jpg
20200802_220045.jpg

August 3 - Play a 3rd album or single by an artist.

AC/ DC "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"

I haven't played this in a while and using this chance as I feel like playing some rock today. Only when their later 6th record "Highway to Hell" turned out to be an international success, this album became widely known outside of Australia.

IMG_20200803_072245.jpg

Lee Morgan Sextet - Volume 2 (Blue Note, 1957 First Mono Pressing)

Going with a HUGE one today. I finally found an affordable copy of this the other week and it arrived over the weekend. I opened it today along with a few other record goodies I will post in the Fresh Grabs at some point (it's my birthday today and my girlfriend has a couple of record shaped presents for me to open up later). This is Lee Morgan's 3rd album as lead (after 'Introducing Lee Morgan' on Savoy and 'Indeed!' on Blue Note). Its got a superb line-up which absolutely smashes it with 6 hard-bop numbers.

IMG_0602.JPG

Lee Morgan Sextet - Volume 2 (Blue Note, 1957 First Mono Pressing)

Going with a HUGE one today. I finally found an affordable copy of this the other week and it arrived over the weekend. I opened it today along with a few other record goodies I will post in the Fresh Grabs at some point (it's my birthday today and my girlfriend has a couple of record shaped presents for me to open up later). This is Lee Morgan's 3rd album as lead (after 'Introducing Lee Morgan' on Savoy and 'Indeed!' on Blue Note). Its got a superb line-up which absolutely smashes it with 6 hard-bop numbers.

View attachment 59744

Happy birthday!
May the vinyl gods bless you with many spins

First:
Happy Birthday, @Selaws!

Second:
Gonna catch up as I was out of town doing some real social distancing on my gf's family property about an hour outside of civilization and cell phone service.

August 1 - In honor of our July's host, play an album related to "blue" or "grass."

The Lucksmiths - Naturaliste

I decided to go with the blue descriptor for this day, because I don't have a single album that falls under the bluegrass umbrella. This is the blue limited edition from a crowd-fund that they did last year. #82/500. Not my favorite Lucksmiths album, but very pretty music regardless. And since this one got funded, hopefully they'll look further back in their catalog and release some of the real early gems on vinyl.

"Ba-ba-bada-ba-ba" goes the backing vocal, I'm trying not to be so antisocial
IMG_0442[2079].JPGIMG_0443[2081].JPG

August 2 - Coloring Book Day - Play an album that uses a unique adjective to describe its color.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Murder of the Universe

Pressed on "Vomit Splatter" colored vinyl, this is the Gizz fellas psych-rock story of a human that encounters a creature, becomes an "altered beast" along with the creature, loses all humanity and craves only flesh, merges with the orginal altered beast and they both die and are returned to the earth. But, that's not all. There's also the story of the Lord of Lightning that turns someone into a fire creature dubbed The Balrog. The Balrog is fuckin pissed that he's now a Balrog, so he fights the Lord of Lightning. He loses bad and is turned into a smoking corpse. The end.

But wait, there's more!!

In a dystopian future where no nature exists and the entirety of civilization has been turned into digital beings, the last human is born and is turned into a cyborg. The cyborg begins to miss its humanity and wants back the two things that it deems as the most "human" traits. Being able to die and being able to.........vomit? Well, it creates another machine to do the vomiting for it. Called the Soy-Protein Munt Machine. It built a machine made of soy-protein, born from a test tube into a vat, to live and to heave and die just like that. The machine doesn't want to just vomit all the time, so the cyborg plugs itself in and becomes one with the machine to vomit and vomit and vomit and vomit and vomit.

It pukes so much it bursts and fills the universe with puke and kills the universe with puke. puke. happily ever after. cool.

For all its revoltion, warp, and taboo....part of me wants to be altered, too
IMG_0445[2085].JPGIMG_0447[2087].JPG

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

I've decided to stay in Australia today, as all 3 albums have been by bands from "down under". This is the 3rd album from the Gizz-boys and one of my favorites by them. Riff heavy tracks open and close the album with no vomit to be found. Phew.

Just float along and take a deep breath
IMG_0444[2083].JPG

Back