August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

Day 1 ~ Blue or Grass

image.jpg

As much as I love some Bluegrass, I’ll leave those recommendations to the pros (as tempted as I was to break the Sara Watkins out). I did really want to spin this very recent acquisition which both fits the theme literally (the movie is Blue Valentine after all) and figuratively (it’s a real heartbreaker).

A bonus half pic below that could run under grass in some ways too.

DAY 1

In honor of our July's host, play an album related to "blue" or "grass."

Magic ~ Dylan Campbell

Since I don't have bluegrass just straight Old Skool Country, I decided to choose the Blue record with Grass on the cover!

This is TMR-5 the spiritual follow up imo for Home by Vermilion Club. Oddly enough that was TMR2. Shout out to Qrates for a great pressing and to Too Many Records for cluing me into this wonderful album. This is cinematic folk with some world elements sprinkled in.

IMG_9539.jpg

DAY 1
BLUE + GRASS
It's probably fate that the country girl is the one who takes this theme literally 🤠
I don't even know what this is, I must have inherited it from an older relative, but you may be asking yourself how bluegrass is this? Well to give you an idea, it has a version of "Cotton-Eyed Joe" on it, pre-90s eurodance revival. Yeehaw.
20200802_000347.jpg
20200802_001046.jpg

DAY 1
BLUE + GRASS
It's probably fate that the country girl is the one who takes this theme literally 🤠
I don't even know what this is, I must have inherited it from an older relative, but you may be asking yourself how bluegrass is this? Well to give you an idea, it has a version of "Cotton-Eyed Joe" on it, pre-90s eurodance revival. Yeehaw.
View attachment 59537
View attachment 59538
Foggy Mountain Breakdown is one of those songs that's on about 95% of bluegrass albums. It's a great song.

Day 2: Coloring Book Day.

Going with "Zombie Skin" Grey swirl vinyl for this one.

Still surprised noone reissued this when Stranger Things season 3 was released - being that the movie and the music are featured so prominently.

John Harrison ‎– George A. Romero's Day Of The Dead
Waxwork Records ‎– WW003, 1985/2014

N87jdd.jpg

jXPCaz.jpg

Day 2 - coloring book

Songs Of Our Native Daughters

I really struggled with this one. I'm not a great one for coloured vinyl - I'm the guy that normally chooses the black variant, not the coloured one. Looking through the ones I do have, I couldn't think of a single funky one for a female artist. So I had to cheat and go with my most colourful cover - there's a lot of them on here. And it's a perfect Sunday morning record too.

20200802_122058.jpg

Back