August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

Day 30: Back to School - Play an album that reminds you of being in school.
Belle & Sebastian - Tigermilk
D994125D-6301-4F6F-8432-993BAC103FC9.jpeg

This album started out as literal homework while Stuart Murdoch was at Stow College. It also contains to amazing “School” related tracks...

“Expectation” was actually the first track that came to mind when I thought about today’s theme but as I’m listening to this album I am struck by how many songs make reference to schooling in one way or another.

Day 30 - Back to School

This EP came out while I was in high school - and is one of those records that made me realize how good live music can be. All it took was two songs to hook me.

Also included is a pic of the only remanent of my high school record collection, everything else warped in storage over multiple moves over the years, but this picture disc from U2 survived it - although the A side has turned amber over time.

U2 ~ Wide Awake in America

IMG_8002.jpg

Depeche Mode - The Singles 81–> 85

DB5FB210-EDFD-4436-B028-F6AB7044DECC.jpeg
This was one of my favorite albums in high school - I thought it was so cool that I found a German import in my little suburban town outside of San Francisco. I lost it somewhere along the line and had been searching for a replacement for years - I finally found a copy on Discogs a few weeks ago and am stoked to have it back in my collection!

Day 24: Dave Chapelle's Birthday - Play an album that is funny or insightful

Like De La Soul, these guys were always funny AND insightful

Beastie Boys ~ Ill Communication

View attachment 62876
DAY 24
FUNNY/INSIGHTFUL
Shamelessly stealing @imtheocean's idea because I'm drawing a blank on this one
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique 20200830_165647.jpg

DAY 29
HANGOVER
Okay so... I don't really own many albums that would be very helpful with a hangover. So decided to go a different way with this one. I've only really had one hangover in my life and it was by far one of the most unpleasant experiences I've endured (especially since I had to go into work the next day). I'm used to headaches but hangover headache was even more punishing than usual. So why not go with an album that sounds like how that hangover felt? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merzbow - Pulse Demon
20200830_172359.jpg

Day 29: Hangover

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Sunset Mission

7D99E37F-251C-4052-ACF6-761BEBAEC048.jpeg

I’ve never had a hangover, but I’ve got a good idea about what they’re like. I had the same idea as @imtheocean did, something quiet & soothing and this is the album that fits that category the most in my collection.

Well, a bit more sinister than soothing, but it’s close enough.

I didn’t really get super into music until I went to college. My youth was radio soft rock, and teen years split between top 40 and, near the end, softer classic rock.

During my senior year of HS I fell hard for James Taylor, specifically the Greatest Hits album...and I did find a vinyl copy of that one. Even just as a nostalgia piece.

I also listened to that as I turned down the opportunity to get drunk at a college party as a visiting HSer...so its also a memory of my severe social failings. Weeeee

3C3A6E91-6FF7-4C6E-ADE3-61D7F8EE2553.jpeg

Day 30 - Back to school

I listened to a ton of Modest Mouse in late HS/early college. I rarely pull out their LPs these days (I suppose I’ve gotten enough out of them at this point), but they still take me back every time I hear them.

0BEAD4F5-802B-4386-B49F-EF5B6F99F61E.jpeg

Day 30 - Back to school

I listened to a ton of Modest Mouse in late HS/early college. I rarely pull out their LPs these days (I suppose I’ve gotten enough out of them at this point), but they still take me back every time I hear them.

View attachment 63908
I would do The Lonesome Crowded West for this theme if I hadn't PIFed my copy a while back

Back