August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

Day 30: Back in School

Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

D2854369-13F6-47C1-B308-BA84302B10A9.jpeg

I first bought the đź’ż the day it first came out, in the first half of my second year of high school & 3 weeks after my 16th birthday. One of my most listened to albums throughout high school and for damn good reason!

Days 28-30 - hangover, school, last

Sandy Denny - I've Always Kept A Unicorn

A perfect acoustic album and balm for the soul after a heavy night.

20200831_084900.jpg

Stina Nordenstam - And She Closed Her Eyes

I love this album, but can't imagine anybody else at my school was into this! If I had to guess, I reckon I found her after liking Bjork but I can't really remember. It's slightly weird but totally great Swedish pop.

20200831_084955.jpg

Janis Joplin - Pearl

Always bittersweet hearing this - what a talent...

20200831_094407.jpg

Thanks @wmeugene for a great month.

DAY 30
SCHOOL
100 gecs - 1000 gecs
Okay so this album came out after I'd been out of middle and high school. But it does remind me of the kind of stuff I liked listening to on the long bus rides to and from school - I always was one of the first to be picked up in the morning and one of the last to be dropped off in the afternoon and that gave me a lot of time to myself and my music library. This album would have gotten a lot of plays.
20200831_055336.jpg

August 31 - Dog Days Are Over - Play a final album or single by an artist.

Super odd topic as, despite my collection growing I really tend to grab more current artists so final releases are tough. I was thinking Amy Winehouse but with all the posthumous releases determining what is her most appropriate final release (I'd say Back to Black but reasonable minds can differ) is tough. So I decided to go a little off the wall on this one.

Harris Wittels was not a musician but was definitely one of the brightest and funniest men in comedy. The originator and pioneer of the Humblebrag, he was a key writer one some of the 2000s greatest TV shows, and was generally a truly unique mind in a field full of them. He passed in his early-30s due to a heroin overdose after years of struggling with addiction and cut short what could have been an even more special career than he pulled off.

Harris Wittels makes, as far as I can tell, exactly one appearance on wax. So this was his debut, his best, his worst, and his final option. It may not be his last if Comedy Bang Bang decides to release any more of his guest appearances or if Don't Stop or We'll Die ever presses anything...but for now it is.

Comedy Bang! Bang! ‎– Creak, Slam, Sit: The Jack Sjunior & Brian Pieces Saga (featuring Scott Aukerman, Chelsea Peretti, Adam Scott, and Harris Wittels)

IMG_20200831_131538.jpg

DAY 31
FINAL ALBUM
Bomb the Music Industry! - Vacation
This was the final album released under the BTMI! banner before Jeff Rosenstock decided to start putting music out solo under his own name, and it makes sense since this is probably the BTMI! album that most closely resembles his solo stuff. The album title also seemed to fit the "dog days" theme. I think in this case it being the final album is not as tragic, as Rosenstock's current solo output is the best he's ever been imo. And this is the most realized BTMI! album, foreshadowing the greatness to come :D
20200831_142726.jpg

Day 31: Dog Days Are Over

Creedence Clearwater Revival - “Someday Never Comes” b/w “Tearin’ Up the Country”

199DBAFD-72CC-47E4-9C0B-AC23B8EC1073.jpeg

The last single released by CCR before they broke up. It was also their first single since “Suzie Q” not to make the top 10 of Billboard’s pop singles chart, stalling at #25.

Thank you @wmeugene for running this thread, you did a great job and I’ll see y’all in the September thread!

Back