Audio Hardware Deals: Speakers, Headphones, Turntables, Etc.

Wylie at The Speaker and Stereo Store in the St. Louis area has some deals on Music Hall turntables:
5.3 with Ortofon 2M Blue, retail 995 sale 797
7.3 w/o cartridge, retail 1395 sale 1097
7.3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze, retail 1595 sale 1247
9.3 w/o cartridge, retail 2195 sale 1697
9.3 with Goldring Eroica, retail 2395 sale 1847
11.1 w/o cartridge, retail 4495 sale 3197

Last edited:
Are these Sennheiser HD6XX’s really as great as they say? Ordered a pair last week and the hype around them seems to be astounding

Are these Sennheiser HD6XX’s really as great as they say? Ordered a pair last week and the hype around them seems to be astounding
They are largely considered the standard for under $500. I've toyed with getting a set several times, but I'm perfectly happy with my Hifiman 4xx.
Remember that a decent amp is somewhat required for them to really come to life. So much so that ifi/ drop just released an amp designed completely around the 6xx, and costs more than the actual headphones.

Last edited:
Cross post from the pro-ject thread in case anyone is interested!

A new project! They’ve done an EVO version of the debut carbon. Upgraded adjustable feet, a new platter, new motor suspension and some fancy new colours. Speed change via a switch underneath the platter.

At £449 retail it’s £80 above the standard debut carbon and £20 less than the esprit sb version.

A new project! They’ve done an EVO version of the debut carbon. Upgraded adjustable feet, a new platter, new motor suspension and some fancy new colours. Speed change via a switch underneath the platter.

At £449 retail it’s £80 above the standard debut carbon and £20 less than the esprit sb version.

Hopefully this means the Carbon DC is being retired.

Looks like a lot of improvements from the last Carbon, and good to see them directly address some of the problem spots. Personally, I'm a little disappointed they stuck with the 8.6" arm though. As much as I've read about various hum and motor issues, I've personally experienced skipping and distortion on the inner grooves caused by the shorter arm, and those same records play through fine on any table with a 9" (or more) arm.

No matter how much you fix everything else, you can't fix geometry.

You currently have an Ultradeck ? How does it compare to the Pioneer ?
This shouldn't come across as it's going to sound, but it doesn't compare at that price point. At the $500ish price point/budget, the PLX all day, at $1000 the market opens up a bit, but usually you end up going $1500ish for a "good" upgrade, the StudioDeck at $1000 with the Studio Tracker is a great deal, you're still going to have a real low noise floor, great build and materials and a 10" tonearm.

@AnthonyI thank you I could have phrased the question as “how much better” is it obviously it’s going to be an improvement but I want to find something that’s a big jump not a little one albeit everything is subjective to some degree when it comes to sound but things like build quality and geometry seem to be quantifiable.
P.s. big jump from my pioneer to clarify

Back