Audio Hardware Deals: Speakers, Headphones, Turntables, Etc.

@AnthonyI thank you I could have phrased the question as “how much better” is it obviously it’s going to be an improvement but I want to find something that’s a big jump not a little one albeit everything is subjective to some degree when it comes to sound but things like build quality and geometry seem to be quantifiable.
P.s. big jump from my pioneer to clarify
That's always a tough comparison because of the point you make, and I have an UD, not the SudioDeck so I can only go by the specs and what those bring to the table. I like they way both the UD and the PLX sound, they're different, I prefer my UD, but you need to take a few things into account, what the UD is connected to as opposed to the PLX, again, the PLX is no slouch by any stretch of the imagination,

Honestly, I would say if your happy with the PLX and don't NEED a new deck, maybe hold out for a bigger jump. What I consider a worthwhile upgrade may not match your expectations so I want to be cautious of my recommendation.

They both have great build quality, the MoFi is a bit more refined, the StudioTracker will give you more than your AT as well, toss on a Grado V3 or Opus3 in time and I think you'll really like what you're getting out of it in comparison to the PLX.

I don't know if that helps or not, but our ears put forth a lot of "grey area" from person to person ;)

@AnthonyI that was great, whenever we have dialogue you almost always explain and articulate in a way that meshes well with my way of thinking. I’m in no rush and don’t need a table, more I want to take time to understand the way different tables are built and what that brings to the table. I would not get rid of the pioneer I’d like to be able to have two tables set up for different carts at the ready. Also would like the ability to a/b the tables so that I can grasp the difference relative to cost and how I subjectively interpret that and how much it matters so maybe I feel it’s something I’d like to have for a long time. I can imagine trying a variety of carts and speakers over time but I don’t have any interest in swapping electronics frequently at this point.

@AnthonyI that was great, whenever we have dialogue you almost always explain and articulate in a way that meshes well with my way of thinking. I’m in no rush and don’t need a table, more I want to take time to understand the way different tables are built and what that brings to the table. I would not get rid of the pioneer I’d like to be able to have two tables set up for different carts at the ready. Also would like the ability to a/b the tables so that I can grasp the difference relative to cost and how I subjectively interpret that and how much it matters so maybe I feel it’s something I’d like to have for a long time. I can imagine trying a variety of carts and speakers over time but I don’t have any interest in swapping electronics frequently at this point.
It was mentioned before, but one of these days I should really hook the PLX up to the main system for a "Real" A/B comparison, otherwise its never an accurate comparison as it stands.

If I only had the PLX, I would be in the same boat, looking for the MoFi or an upgrade, it's not that the PLX isn't a great table, it's just not that "next level", if that makes any sense...........unfortunately our wallets sometimes determine what level your elevator stops at ;)

Yeah I’d like to come at it from the perspective as a starting point of looking at what are quantifiable differences in build at certain price points so I can grasp what is really important to me. For instance I won’t ever want for a new tone arm, but I want a tone arm that is the length that is most desirable and what the specific “want” is going to cost me.

p.s. My next addition will most likely be a sweet vinyl sugar cube, I can’t see getting more enjoyment for the money assuming it works as people claim it does.

Last edited:
Yeah I’d like to come at it from the perspective as a starting point of looking at what are quantifiable differences in build at certain price points so I can grasp what is really important to me. For instance I won’t ever want for a new tone arm, but I want a tone arm that is the length that is most desirable and what the specific “want” is going to cost me.

p.s. My next addition will most likely be a sweet vinyl sugar cube, I can’t see getting more enjoyment for the money assuming it works as people claim it does.

I realize the Sugarcube has a passthrough button, but I’m always vaguely concerned by the idea of listening to an album that uses samples, and having those intrinsic pops and cracks removed as well. Wonder how the SugarCube handles that?

I realize the Sugarcube has a passthrough button, but I’m always vaguely concerned by the idea of listening to an album that uses samples, and having those intrinsic pops and cracks removed as well. Wonder how the SugarCube handles that?
I waiver back and forth $1500 is a significant amount of money for me and that would buy a lot of clean original pressings of albums that I need to replace with better sounding copies. However it’s getting to the point where I will only by used records if they are inexpensive or if a quality reissue doesn’t exist. I do love digging for used records though and cataloguing and cleaning and what not so I don’t want to only buy records online.

I waiver back and forth $1500 is a significant amount of money for me and that would buy a lot of clean original pressings of albums that I need to replace with better sounding copies. However it’s getting to the point where I will only by used records if they are inexpensive or if a quality reissue doesn’t exist. I do love digging for used records though and cataloguing and cleaning and what not so I don’t want to only buy records online.

I definitely have a Hifishark search saved in case a used one comes up at a decent price.

I feel like it could be one of the best things I’ll ever buy and at least if I dont want to live with it I can get a decent chunk on resale

I think ultimately my real holdup is in injecting digital into my analog chain. At what point might I just as well listen to CD or lossless streaming?

It’s irrational, but it’s the truth.

I think ultimately my real holdup is in injecting digital into my analog chain. At what point might I just as well listen to CD or lossless streaming?
I had a similar thought when I first started, except I went the other way. My system started with the Schiit Bifrost, Valhalla, and Sennheisers. I think I held out 2 weeks before I injected vinyl into my digital chain.

It’s irrational, but it’s the truth.
This was a hard one for me to move forward on as well, mostly because I really didn't want to add another form of physical media to the mix. I not only ended up with a CD player but a DAC as well, BUT, in the few months I've had both it's given me a nice option on albums I've REALLY wanted but either haven't been pressed to vinyl or are expensive. I've been able to grab those on CD literally for a couple dollars, they sound great and fill the void much better, in my opinion, than a vinyl player copy (if applicable). All of this ends up helping the "Quality over quantity" mentality and gives me time to save/hunt down those grail's.

The DAC, that's really been for sampling more than anything, as expensive as this hobby has gotten I can't bring myself to spend the money on "Pretty" records just because of eye-candy, beyond that, I really need to like the album, at least 80% of it, to buy it on vinyl (Then seeing if the pressing is any good or which one is worth getting). The secondary bonus came along due to COVID and now working from home on a permanent basis, it is an easier experience than vinyl while working, this also applies to CD's, but I ususally rip those as well for a flash drive I keep in my car.

I'm kind of odd in this way, I always like having a "system", that's not to say everyone should or would want to, but when collecting/curating I like having a somewhat logical plan to how I'm going about this without taking away from the enjoyment.

Last edited:
Back