1st Annual N&G 31 Days of Halloween (2019)

I should try finishing this now as well. There are some memorable and decently scary scenes, but it's definitely a slog to get through. I bailed after 7 episodes and honestly forgot all about it until you mentioned it. The biggest issue for me is that I didn't really care much about any of the characters, other than maybe Theo.

I should watch this, too.

I have the S/T on the way.

10/15

26 - The Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

This one drops the comedy of the prior 2 movies for a love story - and it isn't too bad.

View attachment 19836

The blu-ray has a pretty good commentary with Melinda Clarke (CSI's Lady Heather) and Special Effects Supervisor Tom Rainone who did a lot of work on Bride Of Re-Animator.

10/15 - Wrinkles The Clown πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

So this is horror adjacent, not outright horror. It's a doc about Wrinkles The Clown, a viral internet phenomenon. I seriously can't even describe what I liked/didn't like about this very much because it'd be spoiling the big turnaround halfway through. But that kinda twist itself is also a bit of a problem. This is maybe 2 1/2 stars, but 3 feels okay. I enjoyed it, and it's an interesting story, but ultimately some parts feel...a little cheap and ultimately it doesn't say much. There are blips of great ideas for what it might be saying throughout, but none of them ever amount to anything like a greater message. It's decent, worth a watch, but also not a completely well put together doc.

Side note: there aren't a ton of great horror docs I can think of, but ones I would recommend watching instead are: Killer Legends (which also tackles the whole clown-sighting phenomenon) and Haunters: The Art Of The Scare

29 - 3 From Hell (2019) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

Only watched it once, so this score may change as I think about it more....I may have to watch it again.
I had some issues, but then again, it's a Rob Zombie movie....so...for now I liked it, but didn't really see the point it needed to be made, as it essentially rehashes most of Devil's Rejects.

ezgif-6-f52e2a8f9316.gif

Last edited:
Movie #4
The Dark (2018)
I just sort of randomly watched this movie on Hulu and it was... interesting?

The plot is basically about a zombie girl living in an abandoned house out in the woods who winds up stuck in the middle of a kidnapping plot. That's about the simplest way to summarize it but I basically went in completely blind and so I had no idea what this movie was or where it was going, which was fun but the story is easily the weakest part of this movie.

The direction was solid, and there were a few shots that were really cool and well done, it was clearly made by someone with a decent amount of talent, but the story was kind of a mess. Plus there were plot elements introduced that really didn't need to be there and kind of cheapened the whole experience (trigger warning if you don't like movies where rape and abuse are used as the catalysts for a plot). I got what the film was going for with its depictions of certain things and how they served to set up the relationships between the characters, but it still left me a little mixed.

The greatest asset is the two lead performances. They're both very young from the looks of it and they both deliver really emotionally charged and impressive performances. It's good too because this movie is light on the scares and is pretty slow moving. Honestly to call this a "horror movie" is a bit disingenuous but I'm not 100% sure what else it falls under. A dramatic thriller with horror elements? Idk

It's definitely not the worst thing ever and I feel like there's a lot of potential here, so hopefully the filmmakers get to do another movie. For a low budget impulse watch, it was definitely interesting enough to hold my attention, but not something you need to be in any hurry to see.
Final rating: πŸ’€ πŸ’€πŸ’€

Doing some organizing in the DVD cabinets. I just threw them in there when we moved in 2 years ago. Gonna try to go with Horror/Exploitation/Cult in one cabinet - the rest in the other.

I do have a bag to throw the ones that I have on Blu-Ray - as long as all the extras and such are the same. I did do a purge about 7 years ago before we moved into the previous house. Sold off about 300 or so then. That was right before I went to Blu Ray.

20191016_183404 (2).jpg20191016_190116 (2).jpg

10/14
13 Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Hey, there’s a monster in it! ;) When I first saw this as a kid, I remember being scared during some of the scenes but obviously it’s more action comedy than any of that. Still fun and stupid and I love Kurt Russell.

10/15
14 House on Haunted Hill (1959)
πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
My dad is big on old scary movies and he happily introduced this one to me as a kid. It’s been years but I put it on last night and I still think it’s great. Obviously a more b-movie style of film but I can totally imagine how the scares must’ve gone over in theaters when it was released. It was produced and directed by William Castle so I should look up the gimmicks he used. Oh and Vincent Price is delicious in this one.

Last edited:
10/16
15 It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)
πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Kids put this one on this evening. I love it so much. How mean Lucy is, how deluded Linus is, how lovesick Sally is, how funny Snoopy is, and how Charlie keeps going even though grown ups keep putting rocks in his sack. Who does that?! lol

10/14
13 Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Hey, there’s a monster in it! ;) When I first saw this as a kid, I remember being scared during some of the scenes but obviously it’s more action comedy than any of that. Still fun and stupid and I love Kurt Russell.

I love this movie...although I didn't really get into it when I was younger.

I ordered a bundle over on Sacred Bones with a new recording of a couple tracks, but it's not out until December.

The wife and I both got a bug from the kid this week. I was feeling like crap yesterday and texted my wife - she texted me back saying the same thing and that she's on the way home from work early.

I had a couple movies lined up to watch yesterday, but didn't really feel like watching them. I could handle records/music, but the thought of watching a movie didn't appeal to me.

We'll see how I feel today and maybe I'll get back to a couple.

In the meantime, here is Edgar Wright's Top 100 Horror movies -

I believe they are in chronological order...and was made around 2016

Last edited:
10/17

3 Midsommar πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€
Second time I've seen it, first was in the theater. I wasn't entirely sure how to feel about it the first time, but ever since I've often found myself thinking about it. And just in that thinking, it's grown on me. Watching it a second time, I love it even more. It's not entirely perfect I suppose, but there's so much here I just am so into. Hereditary also took some time for me to appreciate, but eventually I loved it as well (though it's not nearly as scary as people said it was). However, Midsommar is much more my thing than Hereditary. It just hits me harder.

Also I really need to watch more horror films. I'm real sad that this month seems to be flying by and I've barely had the time to enjoy all of its spooky goodness. It's my favorite month/time of year.

31 - An American Werewolf in London (1981) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Another 5 Skull movie...a must watch if only for Rick Baker's transformation scene.

It's one of the first horror comedies that I can remember...but it still scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

giphy.gif

Back