1st Annual N&G 31 Days of Halloween (2019)

10/23

39 - Suspiria (1977) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

I've always liked this movie, even if it is pretty tame by today's standards. It is a good film to watch for the composition and color.

I really don't know why they remade it recently - but I'll watch that one too sometime.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
10/24
24 Horror of Dracula (1958)
πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Aired tonight on TCM. Christopher Lee’s first outing as Dracula. Also stars Peter Cushing as Van Helsing and the guy who plays Alfred in the 90s Batman movies as Arthur Holmwood. Hammer horror at its finest. Bright red blood and sexy Dracula, what more do you need?

10/23
23 Night of the Living Dead (1968)
πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
The classic original. All hail George A. Romero. Low budget awesomeness. And that ending, yo!

β€œThey’re coming to get you, Barbra!”

The somewhat recent Criterion bluray is one of the best...got it and a few other Romero sequels in my upcoming list.

10/23

39 - Suspiria (1977) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

I've always liked this movie, even if it is pretty tame by today's standards. It is a good film to watch for the composition and color.

I really don't know why they remade it recently - but I'll watch that one too sometime.

View attachment 20561

I do NOT recommend the remake. I love Dario Argento and Suspiria. When I first heard of the remake I was sure it would be garbage, but honestly when the trailer dropped I was impressed and wanted to see it. Well..it started off okay and it's stylish for sure, but it becomes a hot mess and it's just terrible.

I wish I would have seen this thread sooner! I've been watching so many movies and trying to go back and rate them now seems impossible.

I saw the original Tales From the Crypt, Black Sabbath, Twilight Zone the Movie, and Creepshow screened in 16mm at a marathon potluck event which was pretty neat. I've been watching the new Creepshow series which is pretty hit or miss. I watched season 4 of Channel Zero which was pretty good. Screw it..I'll attempt a list..I'm super bored right now. Here's some movies I've watched this month in no particular order:

1. In the Tall Grass - I didn't like this as much as some people, but it was interesting for sure. 3 skulls

2. Tales of Halloween - Roomate picked this one. horror anthology streaming on Amazon. It's not good. 1/2 skull

3. Trilogy of Terror - Not great but a fun watch. Cool that Karen Black was in all 3 stories. Better than the sequel for sure. 3 skulls

4. You're Next - Love this one. Fun twist on the home invasion movie. 4 1/2 skulls

5. Halloween lll - This was my first time seeing it. I already knew a lot about the movie but had just never actually seen it. It's bizarre as hell. I think this one would have been better to watch with other people, but I thought it was just too ridiculous. 3 skulls

6. Phantoms - I watched this right after Halloween lll so when I noticed the patches on the Sheriff's shirt said Santa Mira County (Santa Mira is the town in Halloween lll) I was pretty happy. Thought it was a coincidence at first, but this movie seems so much like a John Carpenter rip that I'm sure it was intentional. So this movie is not good BUT I enjoy it a lot because of the creature effects and some pretty creepy moments. It also seems like a rip of John Carpenter's The Thing and the Blob remake which I enjoy..so it's hard to not like Phantoms. 3 1/2 skulls

7. Mom and Dad - If you like watching Nicholas Cage going apeshit then you'll love this one. I hadn't seen it before and had actually never heard of it. Another one my roomate picked out. Had some friends over to watch and it we all had a blast. 4 1/2 skulls

8. We Are Still Here - I've seen this a handful of time and really enjoy it. Haunted House type movie that is done pretty well and worth checking out. 4 1/2 skulls

9. the Babadook - Well done and creepy. 4 1/2 skulls

10. Hereditary - Not quite as shocking the second time around, but still a good movie. 4 1/2 skulls

11. Murder Party - Fun low budget movie. It's about a murder party. 3 1/2 skulls

12. Maniac (remake) - I thought I had fallen asleep the first time I tried to watch this so I gave it another shot. Turns out I had seen the whole thing and had just forgotten about it all. Pretty much a mess. 1/2 skull

13. I Spit on Your Grave (remake) - I regret watching this. I was curious on how the subject matter of the original would be approached here.. and it's just... this movie didn't need to happen. 0 skulls

14. Maniac Cop 2 - This cop is a total maniac. Fun watch. 3 1/2 skulls

15. Amityville 1992: It's About Time - The one about a killer clock...it's..enjoyably bad. 2 1/2 skulls

16. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2 - I've seen this too many times. Also enjoyably bad. 3 skulls

Sure I missed some, but that's life.

One last thing in this mess of a post. I can't say that it's good, but if you have Shudder you should check out Deadwax, the short series about a killer record(sorta). It's so appropriate for this forum. It's 8 mini episodes that is pretty much the running time of a regular movie.

40 - Pieces (1982) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

This isn't a great movie, but I always come back to it. The sleazy 80's production, the bad dubbed voices....everything works.

The Tubi stream I watched this through has a bad full screen VHS transfer that makes it better - I don't own the fancy blu ray that was released a few years back...I think it's OOP, but I'll probably try to get it for next year.

tumblr_o67e92XEjv1qj7u8ao1_500.gif

Last edited:
I'm not a big horror movie fan, but I AM a huge Simpsons fan, and love their Halloween specials. Even while the show has had an observable decline in quality, the Halloween episodes are always fun. I decided to try and watch all of them before Halloween and thought I'd share them here. So here we go!

Treehouse of Horror I - πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Segments: Bad Dream House, Hungry are the Damned, The Raven
For me, The Raven makes this one, but having James Earl Jones as a guest voice throughout makes this a classic. His work on the Raven though is just one of those things that can live on in eternity in my mind.

Treehouse of Horror II - πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Segments: Lisa's Nightmare (The Monkey's Paw), Bart's Nightmare (It's a Good Life), Homer's Nightmare (Frankenstein)
This one is solid. The unsettling nature of Bart's Nightmare is essentially a seven minute joke with a fantastic payoff. The one liners start to come out in the writing here, and looking back you can see that the third season is where the Simpsons started to find their stride

Treehouse of Horror III - πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Segments: Clown Without Pity, King Homer, Dial 'Z' for Zombies
Seeing that Krusty Doll with sharp teeth always gives me a shivers. I like this one a lot because the writing is just so sharp. King Homer is the perfect parody in my mind and Dial 'Z' always makes me laugh.

Treehouse of Horror IV - πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Segments: The Devil and Homer Simpson, Terror at 5 1/2 Feet, Bart Simpson's Dracula
Again, really really good episode here, from start to finish. The Night Gallery as a wraparound is so good. I have a soft spot for any of the episodes that Conan wrote, and you can easily hear his voice doing Bart's part of that so well. There is a timelessness element of this one, and this is where the Simpsons were constantly good if not great. There were several parts where I am audibly laughing out loud, I just really love this one. Flanders as the Devil is still hilarious to me and you can't not love Lionel Hutz.

Treehouse of Horror V - πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Segments: The Shinning, Time and Punishment, Nightmare Cafeteria
This is the granddaddy of them all for me. The Shinning alone is one of the best things the Simpsons have ever done, neatly splicing together horror, satire, and commentary of the 90s. Time and Punishment could be a full episode if they wanted it to be, it's just so entertaining to see Homer change the past and then see his future. There are other moments of brilliance here I love: the increase in violence here in response to complaints that The Simpsons was too violent, the running gag of Willie getting an ax in the back, and Maggie being voiced by James Earl Jones(!) all make this one not just the best Treehouse of Horror episode, but one of the best episodes of The Simpsons period.

Treehouse of Horror VI - πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Segments: Attack of the 50 Foot Eyesores, Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace, Homer3
I came really close to giving this one 3 πŸ’€ but there are a few things I like a lot that bumped it back to 4. Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace has some great parts, like lousy Smarch weather, Martin's dream, and Maggie saving the day. Homer3 is boundary pushing and revolutionary, but as an episode it's a little weak (although the writing is actually pretty good). And the end of Eyesores is great.

Next installment coming soon!

Since this is the next installment in the Waxwork subscription and is on the way, I figured I'd watch this one.

41 - Don't Go in the House (1979) πŸ’€πŸ’€

Not a bad Psycho rip-off - if Norman ended up being a pyromaniac.
I watched this on Amazon, but it was heavily edited - the kills and nudity were mostly all edited from the print they use. There is a full uncut print on Youtube of all places...I'd go with that one.

tumblr_oyc7df8S8C1tv3b9ro2_400.gif

The next 3 aired tonight on Joe Bob Briggs Halloween Hootenanny

- Did anyone else watch Joe Bob Briggs Drive-In Theater back in the days of The Movie Channel or Monstervision on TNT?

This is just a sample of what I was watching in middle and high school...every Saturday night. When he moved over to Mostervision I didn't watch as much, as everything was edited for TV and seemed to be more sci-fi oriented - whereas on TMC he showed more sleazy action, exploitation, and horror.

42 - Halloween (1978) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

This would be your run-of-the-mill slasher if it didn't have this specific score and the use of the Panaglide.

BlaringEllipticalCaimanlizard-size_restricted.gif

Got a couple in this weekend:

8. The Night of the Hunter (1955) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
One of the best movies ever, of any genre, IMO. Extremely unsettling picture of society and taking advantage of the vulnerable - holds up perfectly today. Pretty crazy that this depiction of American society was basically contemporaneous to Leave It to Beaver/that type of 50s depiction. One of the most beautifully shot films as well.

9. Halloween II (1981) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Mostly an enjoyable slasher, but this film tries (pretty weakly) to establish some rationale behind Michael Myers and his actions, which actually detracts from the mystique of Myers as a villain. The Halloween remake smartly strips away any rationale for why Michael is the way he is.

Lair of the White Worm - I grabbed a used vhs copy super cheap back in the day but every time I put it on I fell asleep or got distracted. I didn’t know who Ken Russell was, I just liked the cover and the fact High Grant was in it. I finally gave it a proper viewing last night and really enjoyed it. I loved the weird randomn psychedelic scenes. Fun movie. I’ll also be checking out Gothic soon, which I’ve never seen. 4 skeleton heads

Witchboard - had some people over to watch this earlier. Campy enough to be enjoyable. 3.5 spooky skulls

Had to watch some hockey and baseball tonight, but I'm getting my last stack for tonight and tomorrow ready. Some may have to wait for next year.

Back