1st Annual N&G 31 Days of Halloween (2019)

10/10

23 - The Slumber Party Massacre (1982) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

One of the better 80's slashers done on the cheap.

The 3 movies in this series were all written and directed by women, this one written by feminist Rita Mae Brown - although it was heavily re-written.

The DVD set I have also includes part 2 and 3 - those aren't as good as this one - and I probably won't get around to watching those.

ncXyxx.gif

Trailer below is NSFW

Watched this one before the baseball game...

10/11

26 - The Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988) πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

This is the one I watched more growing up as a kid - for a while the original was hard to find on VHS in my area. Not as good as the original, but still worth watching every now and again.

giphy (1).gif

Scream - 1996
Work trip ended up being long days that lead to stopping at the brewery before passing out and doing it all over. Made it home late last night/early this morning. Happy to finally be able to start the season off.

This one never gets old for me. Remember watching it as youngster with my Grandpa on tv and it still puts a smile on my face. Think we may make our way through another one or two of these soon.
πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

Scream - 1996
Work trip ended up being long days that lead to stopping at the brewery before passing out and doing it all over. Made it home late last night/early this morning. Happy to finally be able to start the season off.

This one never gets old for me. Remember watching it as youngster with my Grandpa on tv and it still puts a smile on my face. Think we may make our way through another one or two of these soon.
πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€ πŸ’€

I saw this in the theater with a group of people from the dorm i was in...was a great experience.

Been slacking on getting reviews up so here’s a quick handful.

Species (1995) - Remember hearing about this movie quite a bit when it came out. It was heard that this was a sexy horror movie. A story of an alien trying to reproduce and carry on its species’ legacy. Well, 24 years later I found it was on On Demand so I finally gave it a view. Sort of boring, and never really had me engagedβ€”actually took three days for me to finish this. Nothing really memorable, don’t even remember how it endsπŸ’€πŸ’€...maybe πŸ’€πŸ’€1/2

High Tension (2003) - A psychological, bloody good time. Once this film gets going it doesn’t really let up until the end. One of those films, which is essentially a slasher flick, that throws in one of those β€œWhat the fuck? Huh?” plot twists towards the end that even after all these years doesn’t really add up for me but makes the film a little more dark and interesting. Recommend πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€1/2

Halloween (2018) - This was my second viewing and man this is an outstanding addition to the Halloween legacy. Michael is as brutal and unforgiving as he ever was and I love the whole 40 years later tie-in. Some great scenes, and good tracking shots involving Michael’s murders. Ended seems finite but also seems to leave open the possibility of a follow up film. Highly recommended. An easy πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€with the possibility of another 1/2 on repeated viewings.

The Descent (2005) - I find myself coming back to this one as well @LeeVing and recommend it constantly as well. The first three quarters of the film are beautifully set up as a group of female friends goes spelunking in an unexplored cave; and as the film progresses the element of claustrophobia becomes more and more menacing. And although the film goes down a similar route that Danny Boyle’s film Sunshine would take a few years later, I think it’s better suited and more realized in The Descent. A top 10 2000’s horror film for me. πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€1/2

Last edited:
High Tension (2003) - A psychological, bloody good time. Once this film gets going it doesn’t really let up until the end. One of those films, which is essentially a slasher flick, that throws in one of those β€œWhat the fuck? Huh?” plot twists towards the end that even after all these years doesn’t really add up for me but makes the film a little more dark and interesting. Recommend πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€1/2

I liked this one up until the twist...then I hated it so much.

I really need to pick up the pace this year...

4. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992) πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
This is often classified as a horror film, and I agree with that assessment. This movie is bleak - it has none of the humor or levity of the series (or even the reboot series). I think that's a big part of why people didn't like it when it came out - it's tough to watch overall. It's a really well-done film on its own, though, and of course important to the series.

10/7-9
07-09 The Haunting of Hill House (2019), eps 1-3
πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Finally got around to starting this Netflix series. First off, I’m a huge fan of author Shirley Jackson and her book, which also inspired other adaptations besides this show, is just about perfect. So i waited to watch because I was disappointed by the last movie version and didn’t think I wanted to see an ever looser adaptation like this one. But it’s Oct so I started it. Not bad. Took a while for me to handle the time jumps and the slowness of the tension building could be a little faster but I feel like it’s hit its stride by the third episode. I’ll probably finish it sometime this week.

10/10
10 I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)
πŸ’€πŸ’€
Saw this in the theater back in the day. And rewatching it just made me laugh at how 90s everything was. Oh and stupid young people doing stupid things. But Jennifer Love Hewitt still makes for a compelling last girl so two skulls!

10/11
11 Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013)
πŸ’€
Terrible. Ugh. Just ugh. I can be okay with ignoring intermediate sequels, i can even be ok with a little retconning as long as the end result pays off. But holy shit, not this monstrosity. Writing doesn’t make sense, I’m tired of backstories that try to humanize the killer(s) and the whole ending pissed me off with its whole β€˜this is your family therefore just ignore that your crazy biological cousin just killed your friends and tried to kill you before he realized you were a relative. And yeah a mob slaughtered your family without a trial but uh, didn’t they also kill a bunch of innocent people and kind of deserve it?” Anyway, ugh again.

10/7-9
07-09 The Haunting of Hill House (2019), eps 1-3
πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Finally got around to starting this Netflix series. First off, I’m a huge fan of author Shirley Jackson and her book, which also inspired other adaptations besides this show, is just about perfect. So i waited to watch because I was disappointed by the last movie version and didn’t think I wanted to see an ever looser adaptation like this one. But it’s Oct so I started it. Not bad. Took a while for me to handle the time jumps and the slowness of the tension building could be a little faster but I feel like it’s hit its stride by the third episode. I’ll probably finish it sometime this week.

I should try finishing this now as well. There are some memorable and decently scary scenes, but it's definitely a slog to get through. I bailed after 7 episodes and honestly forgot all about it until you mentioned it. The biggest issue for me is that I didn't really care much about any of the characters, other than maybe Theo.

Back