What's Spinning

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#134: Keith Jarrett Quartet - Belonging

IMG_20200202_082406.jpg

I feel like Jarrett's European Quartet is extremely under-appreciated, especially when compared to his other projects. In a way I get why, as the melodies and Garbarek's tone can flirt with cheesy 80's jazz territory at moments, but man, this band was able to imbue every performance with a sense of drama I haven't heard any other band even come close to. Do yourself a favor and give them a listen if you haven't already... Either this album, My Song or Personal Mountains.

Gang Of Four ‎– Solid Gold
Warner Bros. Records ‎– BSK 3565, 1981

Pressed at Capitol, Los Angeles

vAX1w7.jpg

meP3vw.jpg

My collection #31

Miles Davis Quintet - Freedom Jazz Dance (Bootleg Series Vol 5)

I love Miles, and I love the bootleg series but this may be the one I like the least. It's absolutely fascinating to listen to these songs come together in the studio - and it is the second great quintet - it's just that it's hard to find the right time to listen to studio reels. I'm often working or reading and it demands full concentration really so I listen to it less than I should. That said, when the band actually plays something it's amazing.

20200202_184339.jpg

Back