What's Spinning

My collection #33

KVL - Volume 1

A kind of obscure supergroup of the Chicago scene featuring drummer Quin Kirchner (whose album The Other Side Of Time is amazing), bassist Matthew Lux (who has played with Iron & Wine, Smog etc) and keyboardist Daniel van Duerm. It's fairly low-key but features a great guest appearance by Jaimie Branch on one song.

20200202_112729.jpg

My collection #35/36

Rail Band - Buffet Hotel de la Gare & Moko Diolo/Tamadiara

I used to keep my 7s with my albums but I wasn't sure it was great for warps etc so now they have their own box but I still find singles I didn't quite know I owned like this one! It's hypnotic, funky, beguiling music of the highest order. Cross post from February challenge.

20200203_111408.jpg

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#135: Keith Jarrett - Bop-Be

IMG_20200203_092346.jpg

One thing I have enjoyed a great deal about this personal project I have embarked on is the insight it gives me when I listen to all the albums I own by a particular artist in chronological order. This album by Jarrett's American Quartet is not only extremely different to his solo record and the European Quartet album I played recently, but also to the other AQ album in my collection (Fort Yawuh). The band here is playing extremely tight: while they seemed to be pushing the cohesion of the group to its limits on FY, the amount of empathy and almost telepathy displayed here is amazing. My guess is that the difference between both records is partly indebted to the additional time the band had been played together (4 years between both sessions), but alson the result of a different approach, trying to be as cohesive as possible here while extreme playing extremely free and loose on the individual level.

Last edited:
Back