What's Spinning

E59BFBD7-BB66-4FBF-AC97-B6E3D2E9EDBD.jpeg

‘71 Pitman Pressing. Recent used pickup. Had a copy of this back in the day that took some accidental damage. This copy is a solid VG++. Plays like new. Was marked NM- but there are a few to many paper marks for true NM- IMO. Still a nice copy.

The Black Furs ‎– Doomed Blues
Forbidden Place Records ‎– FPR-070, 2016/2019

Limited to 200

Pressed at GZ

pj0vkf.jpg

F3pEMA.jpg

I started watching this show but didn't get too far. Just another show I need to get back to.

The music is interesting - I only know this composer from the music he did for Far Cry 5, which I thought was pretty good.

Dan Romer ‎– Maniac
Waxwork Records ‎– WW065, 2020

Waxwork subscriber variant on Pink & Orange vinyl

Pressed at MRP/GZ

elFOnR.jpg

c48Um2.jpg

Buckle up kids, it's a long term lust record moment.

IMG_20200115_100346.jpg

This is a 'one that nearly got away' record. I was big into the big beat scene during the nineties/turn of the century (I even wrote a piece on it for VMP) and I went for a fair few nights out to enjoy various DJ sets. One night in 2000, at a club in London, the resident DJ finished his set with a truly mindblowing track. It was big beat but at the same time it wasn't. It had an almost cinematic edge to it and it was a genuine "what the hell is that!?" moment. Unfortunately, in 2000 working out what 'that' was wasn't easy. There was no Shazam, no published tracklists and I was sufficiently... chemically inconvenienced... that I probably couldn't have done those things anyway. A few minutes of sublime bliss passed and that was that.

Enter on demand streaming services. Well over a decade later, those clever sods at Spotify launched the discover weekly playlist and one day randomly in 2016, suddenly I was reunited with that single sublime track. It turned out it was On the Painted Desert by the Boom Boom Satellites, a Japanese band tangentially related to Big Beat. Then- and I swear I'm not making this up- no more than a few weeks later On the Painted Desert was removed from streaming services in Europe. And I do mean removed, Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz, the lot. You can listen to the rest of the album but that one track has been expunged. It doesn't even seem to be on YouTube (only the inferior DJ Krush remix is) and attempts to put it up are swiftly removed. I can't link to a digital copy because I simply can't find one.

So here we are. This morning, this used but tidy copy arrived from Switzerland and for the first time in over three years, and twenty after I first heard it, the room resonates to On the Painted Desert. I am happy.

Back