Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

Thanks, this looks sweet!

FYI - I moved my speakers a little closer together, pushed them towards the wall a few inches and took some toe out and they already sound quite a bit better. Sounds like I really have to play with them. That likely won’t change me getting a small sub, but just to add the punch when I want it since no EQ.

(y)
One thing to remember there are subs designed for music and subs designed for home theater. Rel has a very good rep for a musical sub. Rythmik and Hsu Research also.

Dialing in the crossover frequency will be using your ears and music tests to find the right settings with your speakers and room. I would also recommend running your Linton's full range with the sub and not off any crossover but YMMV.

YMMV but my SVS sub is ostensibly designed for home theater and I’ve got zero complaints about its musical performance.

Their 1000-series subs include speaker level inputs, if you’re into that.

Would I be crazy to add just this little baby to my Wharfs? I am not looking to add insanity - I just want something that will add a little extra - and that I can adjust since my amp does not have an EQ or bass boost. Thoughts?

Would I be crazy to add just this little baby to my Wharfs? I am not looking to add insanity - I just want something that will add a little extra - and that I can adjust since my amp does not have an EQ or bass boost. Thoughts?

Personally I’d do the SVS SB-1000 if you have a space for it. I feel like you’re paying extra for compact size here, and the sub is unlikely to be able to keep up with the Lintons at volume.

So I got permission from the wife to order a pair of these. Helped that I sold over 1,000 bucks in records.

So I have a couple of quick questions. I was bi-wiring on my current speakers, so I need to get new speaker wires - I take it that the BJC Twelve White Speaker Cable, Terminated with locking bananas is what I need?

Also, is Upscale Audio the best place in the US to order from? I'm assuming there are no discounts anywhere?

So I got permission from the wife to order a pair of these. Helped that I sold over 1,000 bucks in records.

So I have a couple of quick questions. I was bi-wiring on my current speakers, so I need to get new speaker wires - I take it that the BJC Twelve White Speaker Cable, Terminated with locking bananas is what I need?

Also, is Upscale Audio the best place in the US to order from? I'm assuming there are no discounts anywhere?
Crutchfield’s good too.

Seeing your on the East Coast probably Music Direct or Crutchfield with free shipping makes more sense as long as they are in stock. I think they all have the same pricing unless you find a pair of B stocks at MD or reverb. Look for stands there too. Check both sites.

You might just be able to use your bi wires, just "shotgun" them and run them to the same terminals if they will fit. See how it sounds, more money for vinyl this fall.

Last edited:
Seeing your on the East Coast probably Music Direct or Crutchfield with free shipping makes more sense as long as they are in stock. I think they all have the same pricing unless you find a pair of B stocks at MD or reverb. Look for stands there too. Check both sites.

You might just be able to use your bi wires, just "shotgun" them and run them to the same terminals if they will fit.
Crutchfield’s scratch and dent outlet is also excellent.

I'll second Crutchfield's and MDs scratch and dent. I got mine from Upscale, I was going to go with MD because they're like an hour from me, but they charged $150 in freight, UA is free delivery............FYI ;)

I'll second Crutchfield's and MDs scratch and dent. I got mine from Upscale, I was going to go with MD because they're like an hour from me, but they charged $150 in freight, UA is free delivery............FYI ;)
apparently if you ask MD they will do free freight on these ? Looks like they have a pair of Rosewood Bstocks on reverb $200 off and a pr of walnut stands but only $20 off.

Got mine on Reverb through Music Direct and they provided free shipping!

20210909_214005.jpg
We are fully operational here. Lee Morgan, the Complete Lighthouse is kicking us off.

So I bought these on reverb from Music Direct as b-stock and they were flawless out of the package and looked like they had never been touched. Amazing. The sound is already hitting the sweet spot for me out of the box. I can only wait to see what they do over time.

View attachment 111652
We are fully operational here. Lee Morgan, the Complete Lighthouse is kicking us off.

So I bought these on reverb from Music Direct as b-stock and they were flawless out of the package and looked like they had never been touched. Amazing. The sound is already hitting the sweet spot for me out of the box. I can only wait to see what they do over time.
Nice and great deal! Remember at least 100 hours + break-in, try the tweeters in/out and see which you like best.

ps Tone Poet ? stack there! (y)

Back