Welcome - Introduce Yourself Here

New member checking in from Berkeley, California! Not sure what the average age is around here, but I am clocking in at a hearty 60 years old. I've been collecting vinyl since I bought Hey Jude at Music Plus in Van Nuys, California in 1970. :) (My mom drove me to the store.)

My collection is up to about 650 or so, including VMP records since 2015--mostly rock, blues, and jazz. Just started cataloging all my records on Discogs, after finally bringing my collection out of the garage and into my home office after many years. The most valuable one so far is an original New Alliance pressing of The Descendents' "Milo Goes to College", though I also noticed that my copy of Toots & The Maytals' "Sweet and Dandy" that I got from VMP awhile back just sold for a crazy $350 a few months ago.

Favorite concert: The Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense" tour at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. (Went both nights!)

Still a VMP member but came here because I'm hoping to find a place slightly less bitter and negative than that Reddit forum to talk about vinyl!

Cheers!
Welcome. You're not alone being in the 60's club, and I'm not talking about the pressing dates of your Beatles' albums! ;)

hey all! was excited to discover this community recently. vinyl has been destroying my brain since i bought my first LP in middle school in 1996, but things didn't really get bad until around 2012, when I fell back into the habit while going to grad school in the bay area. built up the bulk of my collection scouring the peninsula's thrift stores, estate sales, and bargain bins, but since moving to chicago i've chilled out a little bit and confine myself mostly to local shops and online digging. i sell records to keep up the habit, can't say i *completely* break even but i do OK, especially with the boom over the last two years. i've been lurking on every music forum from ilxor to waxidermy to reddit to SH, but i particularly like to talk vinyl–glad to see this place exists!

the collection is up to about 4500 records, mostly LPs. can't think of a genre that isn't represented (maybe symphonic music? not a fan) but high concentrations of 90s indie rock, ambient, exotica, west-coast jazz, crime jazz, windy city soul, country blues, minimalism, international string instruments, gamelan, post-punk, and vaporwave. favorite albums are big star's "3rd/sister lovers," gilberto gil's self-titled record from 1968 (with os mutantes), and "love me forever" by carlton & the shoes.
YEEESSSS, another thrift store crate digger. I inherited my grandmother's collection in 1998 and started grabbing 50 cent records at Goodwill. I didn't start buying new records until around 2015ish. I did take about 10 years off from collecting because....kids...
I thought @nolalady was No LA lady at first, but then I noticed from comments that it was the state not the city and it clicked. The one I always read wrong in my head is @imajindat, which I always read as I'm a jindat 😅😅😅 (don't know what a jindat would be though 😂).
I'm pretty sure that New Orleans is the antithesis of Los Angeles so it works!

Hi! My name is David my friends call me Dango! I love vinyl and I have started out a small collection!

Hey everyone! I’m Chris from Buffalo, NY. I’ve been collecting vinyl for 9 years. Some of my favorite bands include F***ed Up, Night Beats and Thee Oh Sees. Glad to be here 😁
Welcome welcome!

Hey all, I'm Jeff & I'm excited to be here and to find this place. I'm a huge music fan, who likes mostly 80s: new wave/synth/goth/industrial/rock and hair/glam metal music( I'm a HUGE: KISS/VH/Journey/Ratt/Smiths/Depeche/Duran Duran/Cure/Peter Murphy/ legendary guitar player-etc fan) I'm in Southern California (Pasadena area), and hope to maybe meet up with some other southern California folks down the road, and just chill and listen to records and so forth. If not, no worries. But I'm also looking forward to many discussions on various topics and bands here, with all of you as well. Also, Please NEVER take offense to anything I say here, I tend to ramble on @ times and I have a weird, wonky sense of looking @ things @ times. Hoping to make friends here with folks. :)

Feel free to claim any records I post here in the appropriate section. Again, all I ask is that for NOW: It be limited to only US based addresses, as I live on a fixed income(I'm on Disability due to issues w/my feet). So my apologies if you take that offensive, as it's not. It's just really expensive for me to send overseas right now. Perhaps down the road, I might offer up overseas shipping on stuff if my financial situation improves. Hope you all understand and don't hold it against me :)

Look forward to meeting you all.

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm Jeff & I'm excited to be here and to find this place. I'm a huge music fan, who likes mostly 80s: new wave/synth/goth/industrial/rock and hair/glam metal music( I'm a HUGE: KISS/VH/Journey/Ratt/Smiths/Depeche/Duran Duran/Cure/Peter Murphy/ legendary guitar player-etc fan) I'm in Southern California (Pasadena area), and hope to maybe meet up with some other southern California folks down the road, and just chill and listen to records and so forth. If not, no worries. But I'm also looking forward to many discussions on various topics and bands here, with all of you as well. Also, Please NEVER take offense to anything I say here, I tend to ramble on @ times and I have a weird, wonky sense of looking @ things @ times. Hoping to make friends here with folks. :)

Feel free to claim any records I post here in the appropriate section. Again, all I ask is that for NOW: It be limited to only US based addresses, as I live on a fixed income(I'm on Disability due to issues w/my feet). So my apologies if you take that offensive, as it's not. It's just really expensive for me to send overseas right now. Perhaps down the road, I might offer up overseas shipping on stuff if my financial situation improves. Hope you all understand and don't hold it against me :)

Look forward to meeting you all.
Welcome 🙏

Hello! I've been reading N&G for awhile and figured I'd go ahead and join. Occasionally I may have a thought worth sharing.

I was a heavy reader and light poster on the old VMP forums (using the same name).

Took a few years off from buying records as I was spending more time and money than listening to what I already owned.

Hi, I recently joined as well. My name is Don and I’m from the Chicago area. I just recently found your forum and decided to join up. I’ve been searching and reading several posts over the past couple of weeks. I found Needles and Grooves while I’ve been searching for a new turntable. I’m currently using the first system I bought back in the late 70’s, a B&O Beogram 1900 and a Marantz 2240 receiver (currently in a local rehab shop) through a pair of Polk Monitor 7’s.

I retired in December 2020 and decided to get back into vinyl. I pulled the two boxes of records I saved along with my B&O turntable out of storage and started down a new “old” path. I bought a new belt and a new Soundsmith cartridge for my old B&O. I’ve been enjoying my renewed interest in vinyl and look forward to spending some time on N&G!

Hi, I recently joined as well. My name is Don and I’m from the Chicago area. I just recently found your forum and decided to join up. I’ve been searching and reading several posts over the past couple of weeks. I found Needles and Grooves while I’ve been searching for a new turntable. I’m currently using the first system I bought back in the late 70’s, a B&O Beogram 1900 and a Marantz 2240 receiver (currently in a local rehab shop) through a pair of Polk Monitor 7’s.

I retired in December 2020 and decided to get back into vinyl. I pulled the two boxes of records I saved along with my B&O turntable out of storage and started down a new “old” path. I bought a new belt and a new Soundsmith cartridge for my old B&O. I’ve been enjoying my renewed interest in vinyl and look forward to spending some time on N&G!
Welcome, Don!

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here.

I used my dad's (and his dad's) B&O for a while when I was first getting into the hobby, a Beogram 1000. One hell of a cool deck but replacement carts/needles were hell to get hold of. My dad remembers them spending a few hundred quid on a new one back when he was a child. I googled Soundsmith and looks like a winner for where the B&O is concerned.

Welcome neighbor!

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here.

I used my dad's (and his dad's) B&O for a while when I was first getting into the hobby, a Beogram 1000. One hell of a cool deck but replacement carts/needles were hell to get hold of. My dad remembers them spending a few hundred quid on a new one back when he was a child. I googled Soundsmith and looks like a winner for where the B&O is concerned.
The Soundsmith cartridge works great and gave my old B&O new life! They also rebuild the original B&O cartridges. I did find a company in Germany that rebuilds B&O cartridges which might be a good alternative since your in Europe however I assume you’ve moved on to a different table. In any case here’s the other company : Tonabnehmerservice.de | Tonabnehmerservice. An- und Verkauf und Wiederherstellung von B&O Systemen

Back